Viewer Comments: Finger Injuries - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Finger Injuries:

Finger Injuries - Causes

What caused your finger injuries?

Comment from: FyreFly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I tripped on a toy and fell, catching my hand and left index finger in a toy airplane. I twisted my left index finger - may have temporarily dislocated it? It hurts most in the joint at the base, between my palm and finger, with noticeable swelling in the space between the first two fingers. Pushing on the finger increases pain, but pulling or bending does not, unless I separate the fingers or twist. I splinted the finger at home, with husband's help (volunteer first responder).

Comment from: Hamchick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

My finger was crushed when a front door slammed on it in a gust of wind. I had deep lacerations of the fingertip and the nail protected it from amputation. After three weeks I am unsure of the prognosis as the healed flap is numb and hard.

Comment from: Nelly, Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have done damage to my left pinky. It was crushed after an accident with a table at home. I've had to have the nail bed removed, and my fingertip was amputated, leaving me with an ugly stump.

Comment from: Engineer, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I lost my fingertip in a work accident. It was a fast machine that I thought was shut down. That machine cut my finger off in a split second.

Comment from: Ann0428, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had pneumonia and one of the medications I was on was called Cipro. The doctor at the ER told me that tendon damage is one of the side effects.

Comment from: JuliaP, Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I caught my finger in a garage door. I was trying to slow how fast it fell.

Comment from: Dog Rescuer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

My left pinky finger and nail bed were injured when my finger got wrapped up in dog leashes of two over excited dogs!

Comment from: Daking, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I jammed the base of my left thumb playing basketball I heard it pop when it happened. It happened three weeks ago and it's still tender and kind of swollen.

Comment from: thebaby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I injured my finger cutting onions on a slicer.

Comment from: jRAYu, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 10

My dog bit me a couple of weeks ago. He punctured the skin at the base of my middle finger both on the index finger side and on the ring finger side. I'm experience intense pain along the index finger side of my middle finger whenever I reach for anything leaving my left arm pretty much useless if I need to grab or reach for something. The pain originates right at the base of the middle finger along the index finger side which is right where the dog bite is. I'm worried that I may have damaged a nerve and I don't really know what to do about it? It doesn't hurt to lift things with my left hand. It only hurts if I try to reach for things.

Published: April 18

A window frame fell on my hand.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

The blade from a food processor sliced just below my thumbnail.

Comment from: Tracey, 45-54 Female Published: March 15

Using scissors to cut cardboard for a lengthy period of time has left my thumb tingling and numb. I did this over a month ago and it's getting worse.

Comment from: mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 10

A friend bent my son's pinky finger and it popped. It swelled and is very painful. It happened in the middle of the day at school. No ice has been applied. He said the swelling has gone down significantly; it looks like a pyramid from the bottom to the tip.

Must Read Articles Related to Finger Injuries

Broken Finger
Broken Finger A broken finger may have symptoms of sharp pain, limited motion, swelling, and bruising. Diagnosis of a broken finger is generally through X-rays. Treatment of ...learn more >>
Finger Infection
Finger Infection Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>
Mallet Finger
Mallet Finger Mallet finger is an injury to the outermost joint of a finger. Causes of mallet finger include tendon damage, small, or large fractures. Symptoms of mallet fing...learn more >>