Viewer Comments: Intestinal Gas - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Flatulence (Gas):

Intestinal Gas - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your intestinal gas?

Comment from: zimexlady, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have made two trips to the emergency room with horrible stomach pains only to discover it is gas. Last night from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m., I rolled on the floor, and did waist bends rocking back and forth on the edge of my bed to force the gas out. It took six hours to relieve the pain little-by-little before I could fall asleep. The ER did a CAT scan and X-ray that showed nothing was wrong. Beginning today, I am going to omit fiber and fruit from my diet. I truly believe that is the cause. All this "healthy" eating is making me miserable! I intend to try the above suggestion of ginger ale even though I have not had a soda since 1969.

Related Reading: ginger

Comment from: beedee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Ginger or garlic tea helps my intestinal gas.

Related Reading: garlic

Comment from: jerfired, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

If you drink ginger, make sure what you drink is real ginger. Few of the "Ginger Ale" beverages on the grocer's shelves actually contain ginger. Make it yourself. Go to the produce rack and get a handful of ginger root (it's very cheap). Slice some of it up or pound it awhile with your mortar and pestle, then boil. I like adding honey. How much to boil, for how long? As with any other tea, that depends on how strong you want it. The first time I tried it, the first sip nearly blew my scalp off! :-D This stuff can be very strong, so sip your first sip, er, gingerly. It is a remarkably tasty and healthy drink.

Must Read Articles Related to Flatulence (Gas)

Anatomy of the Digestive System
Anatomy of the Digestive System Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic GI disorder of unknown cause. The most common symptoms of IBS include bloating, gas, abdominal pain and cramping, an...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Flatulence (Gas):

Flatulence (Gas) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your flatulence (gas)?

Intestinal Gas Pain - Causes

What was the cause of your intestinal gas?