Viewer Comments: Foley Catheter - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Foley Catheter:

Foley Catheter - Procedure

What procedure did you have that required a Foley catheter?

Comment from: Lacy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I had prostatectomy, which required a Foley catheter. Now I am getting the hint of an erection which causes urination.

Comment from: Gray1955, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

Last year I got very sick. I had my son take me to the hospital. After 5 tubes of blood the doctor came in and told me I had sepsis. I almost died. I was also in kidney failure. Then the problem started. He asked me for a urine sample. Urinating before I got to the hospital I did not need to go and I told him I can't urinate on demand. I've been like that all my life. He left and within 10 minutes 2 nurses came in. I asked what was going on and got no answer. They the male registered nurse told my son to leave. I asked again and still got no reply. He then told the other nurse to take my pants off. I started to ask again and I felt the catheter go in me. I gave up after that. He pulled that one out and forced in another one. He was pushing it in and out yelling at me if I have a prostate problem. I told him no, I urinated before I got there. I think he was mad because he never got it in the bladder. My son came in after and I told him what they did and he asked why they did not answer me at all. The second one hurt more than the first and I had blood on my gown. They will never do that to me again. A nurse is supposed to talk to the patient and explain what they are doing. I did not get that. No cleaning, no gel, nothing. I will never let that happen to me again. Sex has never been the same.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I had an excellent inguinal hernia repair (laparoscopy) and the only problem was the painful and unnecessary Foley bladder catheterization done after I was anesthetized. I found out later that it was simply my surgeon's preference and her past practice. Many surgeons long ago stopped catheterizing and simply request that the patient empty their bladder before the one hour surgery. So request for no catheter and if the surgeon resists find a better surgeon!

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I had a very routine inguinal hernia repair. For this surgery and if patient empties the bladder beforehand, no Foley catheter is required. In my case my surgeon always orders catheters out of habit and for the staff's convenience. I am very angry that the surgeon subjected me to the many serious risks of bladder catheterization for no good reason.

Comment from: martin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I had gone to see a urologist for bladder retention. He inserted (painfully) a Foley catheter. I later had horrible spasms and bleeding. After a week, I had it removed. My bladder failed, and I ended up going to emergency room and ended up in hospital for two days.

Comment from: Rick F, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I had a Foley catheter for 13 hours after developing acute urinary retention. Anesthesia sickness following an inguinal hernia procedure. After it was removed, I was given six hours to urinate on my own, and have a clear bladder scan, or it was going back in for a week. With this ultimatum, I drank all I could, and passed that test after 5 hours.

Comment from: fred, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I had a bladder cancer growth removed and scraping age 85.

Comment from: John316, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I have had erectile dysfunction since I had a Foley catheter during a heart attack in 2007. I was 49 and my wife and I enjoyed sex at least three to four times a week before the heart attack. When the nurse inserted it she forced it through prostate, and instantly I had severe bladder spasms that were so painful I thought I would pass out. Then when removal took place the same nurse did NOT deflate the catheter but just yanked it out. I had some bleeding but continued pain. Now in 2012 I cannot urinate without bladder spasms. And I have erectile dysfunction.

Comment from: George, 65-74 Male Published: February 22

I had a cardiac ablation. Since it was a long procedure, they inserted a Foley catheter. After about eight to nine hours it was removed. It hurt during removal. About four hours later I started to pass a lot of blood from my penis for four hours plus. It has been four days now and I am still passing blood daily. When I urinate it burns and it is extremely painful and I have spasms in my urethra.

Must Read Articles Related to Foley Catheter

Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is a diagnostic procedure in which ...learn more >>
Inability to Urinate
Inability to Urinate The inability to urinate (urinary retention) may be caused by enlarged prostate, urinary tract infection or ruptured disc. Symptoms include abdominal pain and f...learn more >>
Urinalysis
Urinalysis Urinalysis (UA) is a commonly ordered medical test to analyze urine. It may be used to diagnose urinary tract infections (UTIs) or kidney stones, to screen for ...learn more >>