Viewer Comments: Foley Catheter - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Foley Catheter:

Foley Catheter - Procedure

What procedure did you have that required a Foley catheter?

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I had an excellent inguinal hernia repair (laparoscopy) and the only problem was the painful and unnecessary Foley bladder catheterization done after I was anesthetized. I found out later that it was simply my surgeon's preference and her past practice. Many surgeons long ago stopped catheterizing and simply request that the patient empty their bladder before the one hour surgery. So request for no catheter and if the surgeon resists find a better surgeon!

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I had a very routine inguinal hernia repair. For this surgery and if patient empties the bladder beforehand, no Foley catheter is required. In my case my surgeon always orders catheters out of habit and for the staff's convenience. I am very angry that the surgeon subjected me to the many serious risks of bladder catheterization for no good reason.

Comment from: martin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I had gone to see a urologist for bladder retention. He inserted (painfully) a Foley catheter. I later had horrible spasms and bleeding. After a week, I had it removed. My bladder failed, and I ended up going to emergency room and ended up in hospital for two days.

Comment from: Rick F, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I had a Foley catheter for 13 hours after developing acute urinary retention. Anesthesia sickness following an inguinal hernia procedure. After it was removed, I was given six hours to urinate on my own, and have a clear bladder scan, or it was going back in for a week. With this ultimatum, I drank all I could, and passed that test after 5 hours.

Comment from: fred, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I had a bladder cancer growth removed and scraping age 85.

Comment from: John316, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I have had erectile dysfunction since I had a Foley catheter during a heart attack in 2007. I was 49 and my wife and I enjoyed sex at least three to four times a week before the heart attack. When the nurse inserted it she forced it through prostate, and instantly I had severe bladder spasms that were so painful I thought I would pass out. Then when removal took place the same nurse did NOT deflate the catheter but just yanked it out. I had some bleeding but continued pain. Now in 2012 I cannot urinate without bladder spasms. And I have erectile dysfunction.

Comment from: George, 65-74 Male Published: February 22

I had a cardiac ablation. Since it was a long procedure, they inserted a Foley catheter. After about eight to nine hours it was removed. It hurt during removal. About four hours later I started to pass a lot of blood from my penis for four hours plus. It has been four days now and I am still passing blood daily. When I urinate it burns and it is extremely painful and I have spasms in my urethra.

Comment from: gt man, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

I had my prostate removed robotically Valentine's day. I have a Foley catheter and am having a little urine leakage from the penis around the tubing, especially when I strain from having a bowel movement.

Comment from: madmax, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I had a prostate biopsy and four hours later I couldn't urinate. The RN inserted a Foley which I will have for five days. I was prescribed Flomax and Cipro. The Foley will be removed and my ability to urinate will be assessed. Wish me luck!

Comment from: Annette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Must Read Articles Related to Foley Catheter

Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is a diagnostic procedure in which ...learn more >>
Inability to Urinate
Inability to Urinate The inability to urinate (urinary retention) may be caused by enlarged prostate, urinary tract infection or ruptured disc. Symptoms include abdominal pain and f...learn more >>
Urinalysis
Urinalysis Urinalysis (UA) is a commonly ordered medical test to analyze urine. It may be used to diagnose urinary tract infections (UTIs) or kidney stones, to screen for ...learn more >>