Viewer Comments: Foley Catheter - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Foley Catheter:

Foley Catheter - Procedure

What procedure did you have that required a Foley catheter?

Comment from: linuxfanatik, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I had retention of Urine. Catheterization was done in my local hospital as I had not urinated in two days - which was dangerous and beginning to affect my kidneys. There is some discomfort (from the insertion of the Catheter and hopefully this will settle down) and I hope this will pass. In the short term, I will be on this catheter for at least two weeks - possibly longer, the pack they sent me through the post was for three weeks supply. I have benign hyperplasia of the prostate and I am sixty-nine.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: June 13

I had a triple bypass. I had trouble urinating after it was removed.

Comment from: Gary, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I had laparoscopic inguinal hernia surgery. They put a Foley catheter in during the surgery and then took it out before I woke up. They said they had some trouble getting it in. After waking up I couldn't urinate so before they let me go they had to reinsert it .Had it taken out the next morning and was some trouble even taking out. Now if I have to urinate and need to go badly, it seems like then is when I feel some pain in my urethra.

Comment from: peachytoes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had a full abdominal hysterectomy due to cancer. I was in the hospital for 4 days and was having problems that required that I spend another 3 weeks in rehab. I developed a urinary tract infection, and was put on antibiotics. I had the catheter in for 14 days. It was removed with no pain or problem and my bladder started working on its own almost immediately.

Comment from: anonymous, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I suffer from a birth defect that has prevented me from emptying my bladder completely. This is caused by nerve damage according to my physician. Therefore, I have to use a catheter daily to prevent infection.

Comment from: mdlsiso3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Was having TOT Procedure (Bladder sling) done and Urethra Diverticulum was found that had to be repaired prior to surgery requiring that a Foley be inserted to allow bladder to heal. Currently have had catheter for 6 days and developed UTI on 5th day. Just had to go on second round of antibiotics to get rid of UTI. Foley is to be removed in two days. Also having severe bladder spasms.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

Catheter was put in just before surgery for broken ankle. Have had almost constant pain in the bladder and urethra area ever since.

Must Read Articles Related to Foley Catheter

Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is the use of a scope (cystoscope) to examine the bladder. This is done either to look at the bladder for abnormalities or to help with surgery being...learn more >>
Inability to Urinate
Inability to Urinate The inability to urinate (urinary retention) may be caused by enlarged prostate, urinary tract infection or ruptured disc. Symptoms include abdominal pain and f...learn more >>
Urinalysis
Urinalysis Urinalysis (UA) is a commonly ordered medical test to analyze urine. It may be used to diagnose urinary tract infections (UTIs) or kidney stones, to screen for ...learn more >>