Viewer Comments: Foley Catheter - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Foley Catheter:

Foley Catheter - Procedure

What procedure did you have that required a Foley catheter?

Comment from: bogec, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had a hysterectomy, at which time my bladder was cut and the surgeon did not catch it. Now I am awaiting surgery to repair and have been wearing diapers that only hold for a maximum hour and a half. At my last visit I requested a Foley catheter as a means of less leakage until surgery. My decision was based on the lack of sleep I was getting, if I sleep more than 2 hours the diaper leaks and then I and my bedding are drenched, and once you have to get up and switch out sheets and bed liners you are fully awake and have a hard time going back to sleep! I now wake up automatically after 2 hours, and I am exhausted! I discussed it with the urologist and although in my case there is still leakage until surgery, I got 4 hours sleep! It is not something I want to live with permanently but am glad to have some relief.

Comment from: robinadams, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I had TURP (transurethral¬resection¬of the¬prostate) done. When I came to, everything seemed alright. Two hours later as the anesthesia wore off and I could feel my lower body, I noticed a soreness in my groin. I thought it was just from the carving out of my prostate, but told the nurses. It kept getting more intense, and the nurses told me they had called the doctor. Three hours out of surgery, I was dying. The nurse used ultrasound and said I had retained 800 ml. I usually have to urinate at 100 ml. I was screaming at the nurses when the doctor arrived. He tried to reinsert the Foley catheter 3 times before taking me back into the operating theatre. It's been a week now and tomorrow I'm going back to have it removed. I used to hope that I could get erect after surgery. Now I hope that I can hold my water. I wonder if there was anything I could have done to prevent BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). I first noticed this problem when I was 45!

Comment from: 621, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I underwent a bilateral mastectomy. After surgery I went into post-operative urinary retention. I was painfully and forcefully straight catheterized a few times and continued to experience urinary retention. In the hospital they roughly and forcefully inserted a Foley catheter causing abrasions in my urethra and my urethra swelled shut. They Foley catheter was inserted in me 3 or 4 times in the hospital. The pain from insertion and having it in me was incredible. I couldn't even move without intense constant pain. I also experienced constant painful bladder spasms and lots of leakage. I was forced to live with the Foley, pain, spasms and leaks for three and one half months. It destroyed my life.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I underwent a routine inguinal hernia repair recently. I had read that bladder catheterization was not needed for this operation as I emptied my bladder beforehand. My surgeon disregarded newer protocol because she claims that catheterization is her standard practice for all patients for all surgeries! I feel I was betrayed and had this pencil-sized Foley catheter forced into my urethra only because of her preference (only after I was anesthetized). My bladder was in fact nearly empty and the hernia repair took only 49 minutes.

Comment from: Coffeejoe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

My Foley catheter was inserted after I suffered a spinal cord injury from a fall. That was two and a half years ago and it will likely be a more or less permanent fixture. My wife has been trained to remove and insert the catheter as needed. We usually exchange it every 5 to 6 weeks. Initially I did have a few urinary infections, but my last infection was eighteen months ago, so we are getting better. My main concern is getting the external tube and bag set up so things don't crimp causing my urine to stop draining and causing lots of pain and possible urine leakage. Good luck to all of you using a Foley catheter.

Comment from: Gray1955, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

Last year I got very sick. I had my son take me to the hospital. After 5 tubes of blood the doctor came in and told me I had sepsis. I almost died. I was also in kidney failure. Then the problem started. He asked me for a urine sample. Urinating before I got to the hospital I did not need to go and I told him I can't urinate on demand. I've been like that all my life. He left and within 10 minutes 2 nurses came in. I asked what was going on and got no answer. They the male registered nurse told my son to leave. I asked again and still got no reply. He then told the other nurse to take my pants off. I started to ask again and I felt the catheter go in me. I gave up after that. He pulled that one out and forced in another one. He was pushing it in and out yelling at me if I have a prostate problem. I told him no, I urinated before I got there. I think he was mad because he never got it in the bladder. My son came in after and I told him what they did and he asked why they did not answer me at all. The second one hurt more than the first and I had blood on my gown. They will never do that to me again. A nurse is supposed to talk to the patient and explain what they are doing. I did not get that. No cleaning, no gel, nothing. I will never let that happen to me again. Sex has never been the same.

Must Read Articles Related to Foley Catheter

Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is a diagnostic procedure in which ...learn more >>
Inability to Urinate
Inability to Urinate The inability to urinate (urinary retention) may be caused by enlarged prostate, urinary tract infection or ruptured disc. Symptoms include abdominal pain and f...learn more >>
Urinalysis
Urinalysis Urinalysis (UA) is a commonly ordered medical test to analyze urine. It may be used to diagnose urinary tract infections (UTIs) or kidney stones, to screen for ...learn more >>