Viewer Comments: Foley Catheter - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Foley Catheter:

Foley Catheter - Procedure

What procedure did you have that required a Foley catheter?

Comment from: rit, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

I had a prostate biopsy, and I have had a Foley catheter in for 14 days.

Comment from: caretakerwife, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

My husband had a Foley catheter put in because he went to the bathroom often and had a slight bladder infection. His urine has been clear since he's home and the urine has been clear and filling the bag often. That's good they tell us. I have to take care he doesn't get infection or because of his Parkinson's disease, tear it out. Sometimes he just thinks something tied around his penis. We are depressed and more disabled with that in there all the time. I am an arthritic wife with heart trouble. It's very hard for me to take care of my husband. He still gets up to try and go to the bathroom and I have to jump up, stop him, and talk him back into bed.

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 18

I had a double hernia operation on a Monday and was discharged after I urinated about a thimble full of urine. When I came home I had terrible pain and called the nurse the following day. From Tuesday until Saturday I held urine and it caused me to hold 4 liters of urine. That is about two 32 oz bottles; wow, was I in pain! Then I went to the emergency room because I could not take the pain any longer which I thought was from the operation. When the Foley catheter was inserted they had to remove the liquid in stages fearing spasm of the bladder. I remained in the hospital due to high levels of kidney failure; numbers around 5.3. It went down after three days in the hospital. Now I am at home still with the catheter and hoping that drugs will shrink the prostate so I can have the catheter removed to resume normal urinating. Hope this helps you if you have a similar situation.

Comment from: c6j, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

In late January 2016 I experienced acute urinary retention due to benign prostatic hyperplasia. I have had a Foley catheter now for about 6 weeks. I was also put on Flomax and finasteride. I will see my urologist in mid-March to see if the medicines have had some effect. If not it will be time, I hope, to plan for a TURP (transurethral resection¬of the¬prostate) procedure.

Comment from: bogec, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had a hysterectomy, at which time my bladder was cut and the surgeon did not catch it. Now I am awaiting surgery to repair and have been wearing diapers that only hold for a maximum hour and a half. At my last visit I requested a Foley catheter as a means of less leakage until surgery. My decision was based on the lack of sleep I was getting, if I sleep more than 2 hours the diaper leaks and then I and my bedding are drenched, and once you have to get up and switch out sheets and bed liners you are fully awake and have a hard time going back to sleep! I now wake up automatically after 2 hours, and I am exhausted! I discussed it with the urologist and although in my case there is still leakage until surgery, I got 4 hours sleep! It is not something I want to live with permanently but am glad to have some relief.

Comment from: robinadams, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I had TURP (transurethral¬resection¬of the¬prostate) done. When I came to, everything seemed alright. Two hours later as the anesthesia wore off and I could feel my lower body, I noticed a soreness in my groin. I thought it was just from the carving out of my prostate, but told the nurses. It kept getting more intense, and the nurses told me they had called the doctor. Three hours out of surgery, I was dying. The nurse used ultrasound and said I had retained 800 ml. I usually have to urinate at 100 ml. I was screaming at the nurses when the doctor arrived. He tried to reinsert the Foley catheter 3 times before taking me back into the operating theatre. It's been a week now and tomorrow I'm going back to have it removed. I used to hope that I could get erect after surgery. Now I hope that I can hold my water. I wonder if there was anything I could have done to prevent BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). I first noticed this problem when I was 45!

Comment from: 621, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I underwent a bilateral mastectomy. After surgery I went into post-operative urinary retention. I was painfully and forcefully straight catheterized a few times and continued to experience urinary retention. In the hospital they roughly and forcefully inserted a Foley catheter causing abrasions in my urethra and my urethra swelled shut. They Foley catheter was inserted in me 3 or 4 times in the hospital. The pain from insertion and having it in me was incredible. I couldn't even move without intense constant pain. I also experienced constant painful bladder spasms and lots of leakage. I was forced to live with the Foley, pain, spasms and leaks for three and one half months. It destroyed my life.

Must Read Articles Related to Foley Catheter

Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is a diagnostic procedure in which ...learn more >>
Inability to Urinate
Inability to Urinate The inability to urinate (urinary retention) may be caused by enlarged prostate, urinary tract infection or ruptured disc. Symptoms include abdominal pain and f...learn more >>
Urinalysis
Urinalysis Urinalysis (UA) is a commonly ordered medical test to analyze urine. It may be used to diagnose urinary tract infections (UTIs) or kidney stones, to screen for ...learn more >>