- Folliculitis is an inflammation of the hair follicles and the immediate surrounding tissue. The hair follicle is the growth area in the skin for a hair.
- It only occurs on skin with hair.
- There are many causes of folliculitis.
- Exposure to infectious bacteria, immune system suppression, and occupational exposures can predispose to folliculitis.
- Redness swelling and pustule formation at the site of the hair follicle opening are required for diagnosis of folliculitis.
- Serious folliculitis requires a visit to the doctor.
- Management of folliculitis requires investigation of the cause.
- Complete recovery from folliculitis is the rule.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/31/2015
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Folliculitis: