How is folliculitis treated?
Mild folliculitis usually heals on its own in about 2 weeks. You can take care of yourself at home with:
- Warm compresses made with white vinegar or Burow's solution. These may ease itching and help healing.
- Medicated shampoo. It can be used to treat folliculitis on the scalp or beard.
If the infection doesn't go away, you may need an antibiotic or antifungal cream. If your infection is severe, your doctor will prescribe antibiotic or antifungal pills.
Call your doctor if you have folliculitis and:
- It spreads or keeps coming back.
- You have a fever over 101°F (38°C).
- The infected area becomes red, swollen, warm, or more painful.