Viewer Comments: Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Food Allergy:

Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with food allergy.

Anonymously share your comment to help others.Patient Discussions FAQs

1
Comment from: Iowaguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I developed an allergy to fish at the age of 32. Eating fish gives me hives, respiratory tightness, and difficulty breathing. I had eaten fish up to that age with absolutely no problems. To this day, I do not have any trouble with shellfish. After about two years of no fish whatsoever, I tested myself with salmon. Amazingly, I do not experience the allergic reaction with salmon. All other fish -- tuna, halibut, tilapia -- still give me an allergic reaction.

Comment from: June, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am a 49-year-old female who has had bouts of breaking out with hives for the past two years after eating shrimp. It has been infrequent and not really a life-adjusting problem. Recently, we ate at a Chinese restaurant and I had fried shrimp. An hour later, I went hiking and broke out with severe hives. I had swollen eyes, and my tongue swelled to the point of not being able to talk. I raced uphill one mile to get to the car and made it to a drugstore with my husband. The pharmacist gave me Benadryl and called the paramedics because I passed out. After waking, I was taken to the emergency room and given more meds to reduce the swelling. This was life-threatening. Now I carry an Epi-Pen with me at all times. The doctor said it could be fatal the next time.

Comment from: Buffy, Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I ate prawns and drank champagne. Now I have been vomiting and I have indigestion. I am also shaking and cold.

Comment from: madaboutmango, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I woke up one morning with a rash on my upper lip. It was not noticeable to anyone, but it felt like many microscopic bumps that hurt then later wept, leaving a layer of raw skin. Three days after the lip rash, I woke up with a think rash from my chin to down my neck. It itched and as the days went on, it got worse. It looked like contact dermatitis from poison ivy, but it did not act exactly like any poison ivy rash I had ever had. Still baffled, two days later I noticed a lump in my belly button that looked like a boil. It did not itch, but was painful. One doctor diagnosed me with "cellulitis," gave me a steroid shot and put me on antibiotics for a week and Bactroban. I discovered later that all of this was attributed to eating mango, which has the same urushiol oil in the peeling as poison ivy. Here I thought I was doing my body good by eating a vitamin-rich fruit, when all the while I was poisoning it! Needless-to-say, I will never eat another mango as long as I live.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

Itching throat which makes me cough after eating certain foods.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have had several reactions to ingesting MSG so I can distinguish it between some other food allergies that I have. Last week I ate in a new restaurant, only salad, sweet potato, and baked fish with a breading, and within 30 minutes I was fainting, nauseated, and cramping. Friends helped me into a convenience store and I passed out on the floor. I am a nurse and I am aware that my blood pressure dropped severely. It took about 40 minutes for me to be functional again. In addition to fainting, I had severe diarrhea. I think this allergy can be fatal for me.

Comment from: CCL, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I am a bit concerned that this article minimizes the effects of MSG (monosodium glutamate)and potential for a true allergy to it. I have developed a severe MSG allergy as an adult which began as your symptoms describe as a more mild sensitivity about 15 years ago. Even after small amounts of MSG accidentally ingested leads to full blown allergic reaction and anaphylaxis now. I do have an Epi-Pen and keep liquid Benadryl on hand, especially while traveling. It troubles me when the medical community minimizes the potential for true MSG allergy. I am also allergic to pine nuts, but they are much easier to avoid than MSG. Also, most better Chinese restaurants now do NOT use MSG in their cooking. It is the MSG hidden in most soups, broths, salad dressings, snack foods, peanuts, etc. on the grocery shelves that are the culprits. Anyone with sensitivities should read labels, especially in boxed, canned, or bagged foods. Even the best of restaurants have mixes and bases loaded with it. My most severe reaction was at an upscale restaurant who failed to check the pepper salsa they served. After all was said and done I had GI bleeding for three days following the event. There is nothing mild about MSG allergy.

1

Must Read Articles Related to Food Allergy

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Hives and Angioedema
Hives and Angioedema Hives is a sudden allergic skin reaction. Hives are raised reddish bumps that cause severe itching. Angioedema is similar to hives but the welts are larger and ...learn more >>
Lactose Intolerance
Lactose Intolerance Lactose intolerance is a condition in which milk and milk products (lactose products) are not digestible. Lactose intolerance is caused by a deficiency of lacta...learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Food Allergy:

Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs

What are your food allergy symptoms and signs?

Food Allergy - Treatment

What was the treatment for your food allergy?



Viewer Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on eMedicineHealth. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. eMedicineHealth does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.






Medical Dictionary