Viewer Comments: Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Food Allergy:

Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs

What are your food allergy symptoms and signs?

Comment from: makgala petronella, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I get an allergic reaction to tomatoes and foods with curry. My throat starts to itch when I eat those foods.

Comment from: scratchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I get watery, itchy eyes and a runny nose.

Comment from: Sandy675, 65-74 Female Published: April 25

I became allergic to all fruits, fruit juices, cured and smoked meats, spicy foods, coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate and probably many more that I'm not even aware of. This first happened after I had my third baby at 23 and I ate a couple of strawberries and my allergy to foods escalated from there.

Comment from: Kendy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have an insane case of food allergies. I am allergic to most fruits, a ton of vegetables, nuts, soy, milk, and wheat. I find that most of the fruits and veggies produce very minor reactions. Today however I had a severe reaction to some tea I've never tried before. I didn't realize my symptoms were considered anaphylaxis and that I was pretty much in shock. I tried to sleep it off and take Benadryl which helped temporarily but I am now on my way to the hospital. My suggestion to everyone who has allergies is to get re-tested every few years in order to prevent episodes like I'm having today.

Comment from: slotaddict, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

For the past week I have been breaking out in raised welts on my arms and back. I did not think it was food related until today. I ate two pieces of chocolate and within an hour both my arms have raised welts on them and are itching like crazy. In the afternoon I ate a chocolate cupcake and the same thing happened to my back. This is not the first time this has happen, but chocolate is not always involved... as I really eat very little of it.

Must Read Articles Related to Food Allergy

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Hives and Angioedema
Hives and Angioedema Hives is a sudden allergic skin reaction. Hives are raised reddish bumps that cause severe itching. Angioedema is similar to hives but the welts are larger and ...learn more >>
Lactose Intolerance
Lactose Intolerance Lactose intolerance is a condition in which milk and milk products (lactose products) are not digestible. Lactose intolerance is caused by a deficiency of lacta...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Food Allergy:

Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with food allergy.

Food Allergy - Treatment

What was the treatment for your food allergy?