Viewer Comments: Food Poisoning - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Food Poisoning:

Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

Comment from: RNchick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had nausea vomiting watery diarrhea about 3 hrs after I ate. It was Mexican food with veggies, chicken and a glass of water. The vomiting and diarrhea were continuous every 15 minutes for 3 hours until I went to the hospital. I eventually became dizzy after all the fluid loss. They rehydrated me and gave anti nausea meds and eventually sent me home with more nausea meds. The diarrhea continued but vomiting subsided.

Comment from: SixMiles, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I purchased spinach quiche from a local grocery store. Within a 12 hour period, I knew it was Salmonella food poisoning as I have had it once before. I had projectile vomiting and diarrhea same time, with severe dehydration and I was barely able to move. I had to lie still and wait for a modicum of energy to get water and something with potassium [cranberry juice] to replenish my muscles.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I ate out at a fried chicken place and got violently sick I was vomiting weak and couldn't stand diarrhea, dry mouth slurred speech and had to be rushed to the hospital. You never want to experience food poisoning.

Comment from: Laulee, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 27

My husband ate out at a $30 burger place. He always orders his burgers cooked medium. About an hour after he ate he started feeling strange. The diarrhea began along with vomiting and severe abdominal pains. He called an ambulance for fear of food poisoning and spent an evening in the hospital on an IV. He unfortunately had to get on a plane the next day. I await him from out of town, preparing with Gatorade, toast, rice and wheat bread as this wonderful website suggested. Thank you so much for all the help!

Must Read Articles Related to Food Poisoning

E. coli (Escherichia coli 0157:H7, E. coli 0157:H7) Infections
E. coli: Escherichia coli 0157:H7, E. coli 0157:H7 Escherichia coli 0157:H7 (E. coli 0157:H7) infections are caused by bacterial. E. coli 0157:H7 is one of the most virulent strains and is passed from person to ...learn more >>
Giardiasis
Giardiasis Giardiasis is an infection of the small bowel caused by Giardia lamblia. It is the most common intestinal parasitic disease in the U.S. Causes of giardiasis inc...learn more >>
Listeria
Listeria monocytogenes Infection Listeriosis is a disease caused by the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes. Symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fever, and muscle aches. Treatment for lis...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Food Poisoning:

Food Poisoning - Causes

What caused your case of food poisoning?

Food Poisoning - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with food poisoning?

Food Poisoning - Home Remedies

What home remedies were effective in treating symptoms of food poisoning?

From WebMD