Viewer Comments: Food Poisoning - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Food Poisoning:

Food Poisoning - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with food poisoning?

Comment from: Genie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 27

Last Friday night I had leftover shrimp cocktail that was in fridge for five days. It tasted okay and ate it all about 15-18. Saturday at 3:30am woke with stomach cramps and nausea. I vomited and had diarrhea all day Saturday. Sunday was better but I felt lethargic and had the runs all day.

Comment from: mih, Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I ate shrimp fried rice on Friday evening. That night it started. I was throwing up chills. On Sunday, I went to emergency room and got an IV. My throat is so sore from dry heaves. I was so sick, I literally thought I was going to die.

Comment from: Grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had two slices of American cheese that didn't taste quite right. About 4-5 hrs later I began to have abdominal cramping. The next day the cramping continued. I managed to get through until noon (not easy). My energy was in a minus state. A few hours later the diarrhea began. During all of this I had a horrible headache for about 20 hours. The lethargy was awful. I knew I was dehydrated and needed to drink. After three days I was able to stomach a little water at a time. I began to feel a little better and was able to move around. This is only my fourth day and I am feeling better. My stomach is still sore but I do have some energy.

Comment from: het, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I ate green onions at an Asian restaurant on Sunday around noon, I went home relaxed, fell asleep, about 4pm I woke up burning up, absolutely no energy. I did not have any stomach issues but I couldn't move from the couch. We ordered pizza and I wanted to try to put something on my stomach and that is when the waterfall of stools kicked in (about 8pm Sun night) today is Wednesday and while I was bedridden for Sun, Mon, and most of Tues, I am still experiencing horrible stomach pains that have woken me up out of my sleep and I am a woman and I feel like I am in labor. This is absolutely horrible. I can get around but scared to eat because when I do I end up in the restroom. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I got off work yesterday and I pick up some pork ribs. I went to sleep and woke up in very bad pain in stomach. I can not even hold water down and it is day two.

Comment from: Hal B, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 22

After having breakfast, I started feeling nauseated and dizzy. I took a teaspoon of ginger with water. I feel better now.

Related Reading: ginger

Must Read Articles Related to Food Poisoning

E. coli (Escherichia coli 0157:H7, E. coli 0157:H7) Infections
E. coli: Escherichia coli 0157:H7, E. coli 0157:H7 Escherichia coli 0157:H7 (E. coli 0157:H7) infections are caused by bacterial. E. coli 0157:H7 is one of the most virulent strains and is passed from person to ...learn more >>
Giardiasis
Giardiasis Giardiasis is an infection of the small bowel caused by Giardia lamblia. It is the most common intestinal parasitic disease in the U.S. Causes of giardiasis inc...learn more >>
Listeria
Listeria monocytogenes Infection Listeriosis is a disease caused by the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes. Symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fever, and muscle aches. Treatment for lis...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Food Poisoning:

Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

Food Poisoning - Causes

What caused your case of food poisoning?

Food Poisoning - Home Remedies

What home remedies were effective in treating symptoms of food poisoning?

Find Your Best Self: Discover new ways to live an inspiring life through beauty, diet, and fitness ideas.