Viewer Comments: Food Poisoning - Home Remedies

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Food Poisoning:

Food Poisoning - Home Remedies

What home remedies were effective in treating symptoms of food poisoning?

Comment from: Shortround, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I just got food poisoning from potato salad at a salad bar. When I finally figured out that it was food poisoning after the cramping got severe, I made myself throw up and am feeling 90% better. I topped it off with two aspirin and I am ready to sleep like a baby.

Comment from: ClubKahki, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I can't understand why everybody doesn't know this yet, I have had the worst food poisoning I have ever heard of and after 3 days of throwing up and having diarrhea, I finally spoke with my mom who told me to try plain white yogurt. 30 minutes later I could actually sit up and within an hour I was almost normal. Since then every time a friend has symptoms I tell them to eat yogurt and in every case they were better within an hour. I can't say it enough. It's the only cure! PLAIN YOGURT. Just make sure it says "live and active culture" on the label.

Comment from: Patient, Female (Patient) Published: September 27

Early on if your stomach rebels and you know something you ate was bad, a couple of capsules of charcoal helps. It absorbs the poisons. Once it gets into the gut, it is too late for charcoal. Then eat probiotics to repopulate the gut with good bacteria that the diarrhea has stripped away. Clear fluids and soda crackers for the first 24 hours and then the BRAT diet, but in moderation. Give your innards a chance to heal.

Comment from: Kap, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 27

A dose of Phenerghan really helps with the nausea

Must Read Articles Related to Food Poisoning

E. coli (Escherichia coli 0157:H7, E. coli 0157:H7) Infections
E. coli: Escherichia coli 0157:H7, E. coli 0157:H7 Escherichia coli 0157:H7 (E. coli 0157:H7) infections are caused by bacterial. E. coli 0157:H7 is one of the most virulent strains and is passed from person to ...learn more >>
Giardiasis
Giardiasis Giardiasis is an infection of the small bowel caused by Giardia lamblia. It is the most common intestinal parasitic disease in the U.S. Causes of giardiasis inc...learn more >>
Listeria
Listeria monocytogenes Infection Listeriosis is a disease caused by the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes. Symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fever, and muscle aches. Treatment for lis...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Food Poisoning:

Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

Food Poisoning - Causes

What caused your case of food poisoning?

Food Poisoning - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with food poisoning?