Foreign Body in Rectum
Foreign Body in Rectum Overview
The rectum is that part of the bowel immediately inside the anus. Any object may be inserted or present in the rectum or anus. It should be removed to prevent serious complications.
Foreign Body in Rectum Causes
Foreign objects found in the rectum and anus seem to be limited only by the human imagination.
The majority of objects have been introduced through the anus. But sometimes a foreign body may be swallowed, pass through the digestive tract, and eventually get stuck in the rectum.
Common examples of foreign objects in the rectum include:
Foreign objects in the rectum also may be found in the following circumstances:
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/17/2014
Martin J Carey, MD, MPH, BCh
- Being There for Your Child With Type 1 Diabetes
- Your Premature Baby: Milestones for the First 18 Months
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication