Foreign Body, Rectum (cont.)
Foreign Body in Rectum Prognosis
- The vast majority of people with a foreign object in their rectum will have more injury to their pride than anything else, and will suffer no long-term complications or problems.
- A small number of people will have significant injury. This is seen particularly in cases where the diagnosis is difficult
- in the very young and psychiatric patients - or where the person has delayed seeking treatment.
- Complications may also be present when a violent sexual assault has occurred. These people may develop significant and severe abdominal injury and infection. As a result, they may require a colostomy (where the bowel is brought up to the skin surface and the stool is passed into a bag). Or they may require a long stay in the hospital and
- In very rare cases, the injury may be so severe that the person dies of the complications.
Martin J Carey, MD, MPH, BCh