Viewer Comments: Frostbite - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Frostbite:

Frostbite - Experience

What was your experience with frostbite?

Comment from: Ilona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

Two years ago, I noticed odd, dark-blue areas on several of my toes. I went to a podiatrist, who diagnosed frostbite. She was surprised that I could have it without knowing. I suspect that initially it was mild, but that the weekly pedicures in hot water I was giving myself at the time increased the damage to the tissues. I now know to avoid extremes of temperature on my toes, but to this day one of my toes in particular is much darker than the others, almost purple. From time to time, the side of it swells up looks quite a bit redder, and is very tender to the touch, and then, after a while, the redness fades (back to its normal bluish-purple), and the discomfort goes away. Sometimes the end of the toe develops what looks like a callous, a patch of skin which grows dryer and whiter and which, after a few days, falls off. This isn't usually uncomfortable. It's not serious, but it is kind of odd to watch your toe morph into and out of weird states of being...

Comment from: A.K., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I went to Antarctica in Feb/March this year (2010) and stupidly kept leaving the gloves off my left hand in order to keep changing and cleaning the lenses on my main camera as it was snowing heavily on some days. I found that my left hand (although there was no VISIBLE damage) went 'claw like' and would freeze into a position, it was also very painful. I kept it in warm wearing waterproof gloves from then on, but for three weeks it remained very painful to move any of the fingers. Once back at home it continued to hurt and so I wore a light colored wool glove over it to work each day. I noticed that if I carried a shopping bag in that hand it would again freeze into the curled position and I would single handedly have to uncurl each finger to straighten my hand back out. It is now June and I am still having to do that now, the hand is still very painful on certain days, but not every day, damp weather affects it and when it's cooler, it will get very painful. I am right handed luckily, but as I type this my left hand is covered in a warm woolen glove.

Must Read Articles Related to Frostbite

Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cold Hands and Feet
Cold Hands and Feet When your hands or feet (and sometimes other parts of the body, especially your ears and nose) get too cold, they can be injured or react in different ways. Sym...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Frostbite:

Frostbite - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your frostbite?

Frostbite - Outlook

What was the outlook (prognosis) for your case of frostbite?

Frostbite - Causes

What were the causes of your case of frostbite, and what areas were affected?

Frostbite - Symptoms and Signs

What were your frostbite symptoms and signs?