Viewer Comments: Frostbite - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Frostbite:

Frostbite - Experience

What was your experience with frostbite?

Comment from: ElizabethS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I fell down in my yard, lost my balance and had a bad fall. My left thigh/buttock landed on an electrical group and wire rod that was sticking out of the ground about 2-3 inches. All my body weight fell onto this rod causing a very painful, deep bruising. I immediately applied a gel pack ice pack to the thigh/hip area and due to the pain from the bruising. The ice pack was left on the injured area for approx. 30 minutes without using a towel or cloth between my skin and the ice pack. The injured area had become completely numb and when I removed the ice pack, the area underneath was completely WHITE and NUMB. The area looked like defrosted chicken breast and felt like rubber. I removed the ice pack and tried to warm the area by staying outside (70 degree weather) for a few minutes. The area stayed white and continued to be numb. I then cut an aloe leaf off my plant and started applying it directly to the area, it was sore to the touch, burned and was stinging. I continued with the aloe for hours into the next 48 hours. It has now been 72 hours since the injury and I started using Neosporin on the burn and almost all the normal skin color has returned except for an area about 3X3 inches.

Comment from: Nathan, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

It was probably about -39 that day and being a follower I decided to go to my friend's. Upon leaving the house, I passed out into a snow bank for about two minutes then continued on my way. I was only outside for about 15 minutes and my hands were frozen solid. Through the walk I was disoriented and not in the right state of mind. I knew something wasn't right but I just couldn't put my finger on it. (Like the pun?)I made it to school and eventually my father came and picked me up and brought me to the hospital. I was told that if I were to be outside any longer I would have had to get an amputation. I had to go through the unthawing of my hands. The water was only around lukewarm, but it felt like my hands were on fire.

Comment from: toogie 828, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I experienced frostbite on my feet. I felt a sharp pain and tingling sensations.

Comment from: LuckCharms, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was skiing down the backside when I stumbled on a thick snow drift that I had to swim out of. In the process, I lost my left glove and by the time I arrived at the base, my hand was white and my fingers were getting tiny blue pins. The mountain medical staff stuck my hand in a bowl of water and it burned like crazy so I tested the temperature with my right and the water was actually ice cold. I remember thinking “This is not good!” Now, 15 years later when my left hand gets cold (but especially cold and wet) it claws up and aches until it's finally warm again.

When I got frostbite, I had to have amputations and medications.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I work for a telecommunications company in the Northern Plains of the U.S. and I have been exposed to -40 F conditions more than once. I have frostbite or "nipped" my finger tips multiple times over the last two years of working in these conditions. I haven't needed medical attention yet, but I am starting to wonder what kind of nerve damage or long-term effects I will have. I have to work with lighter lined gloves so I am able to grip my lines and have dexterity with my hand tools. When I nip my fingers they seem swollen and sensitive to pressure for 3-5 days. The last time they peeled like calluses. I am hoping to find a better glove and stay more hydrated now.

Comment from: jenny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was exposed to -35 Celsius for 6 minutes outside with bare feet when coyotes were attacking my dog. I have severe blisters that are turning black and have no feeling whatsoever to my toes and I am told this is second-degree frostbite and that it can become worse with time.

Comment from: Montana Merce, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had frost bite complications on two toes for eight years. They turn colors and itch and peel.

Comment from: Papsan10, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 08

In 1952, while serving in North Korea in the area of Pork Chop hill, the month was March. The outfit I was with was ordered to turn in all the winter gear and draw summer outfits. The very night it snowed and we moved to a new position but took about eight hours. Being in a cramped position for such a long time, my feet became numb and I could not stand on them. When I finally had a chance to go bed (in a sleeping bag with boots on), my feet where burning and I could not sleep. The next morning, I reported to the medics and they sent me to field hospital where they cut my boots and found blisters and burst them, wrapped them with gauze and sent me back to duty. My feet killed me that day and night. I went back the next day and I was put on a stretcher and eventually sent to the 121st Evacuation Hospital and remained there for three weeks under a blanket with a light bulb on my (great) toes. I have not had any treatment, since but only to be compensated with a 10% disability while I have struggled in pain with horrible nail growth and tingling that has grown worse over the years. I wonder if amputation would have been better.

Must Read Articles Related to Frostbite

Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cold Hands and Feet
Cold Hands and Feet When your hands or feet (and sometimes other parts of the body, especially your ears and nose) get too cold, they can be injured or react in different ways. Sym...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Frostbite:

Frostbite - Outlook

What was the outlook (prognosis) for your case of frostbite?

Frostbite - Causes

What were the causes of your case of frostbite, and what areas were affected?

Frostbite - Symptoms and Signs

What were your frostbite symptoms and signs?

Frostbite - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your frostbite?