Viewer Comments: Frostbite - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Frostbite:

Frostbite - Symptoms and Signs

What were your frostbite symptoms and signs?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I had no symptoms of frostbite at all until I awoke with a burning sensation in my left foot. I went to the doctor the next morning and was told it was frostbite. I was unaware that it was frostbite because I am not exposed to the weather for prolonged periods of time.

Comment from: Pearl 25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

With frostbite, my skin was burning, swollen, and tingly.

Comment from: warm now, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I lost four fingers on my right hand due to frostbite. Thank god I still have my thumb.

Comment from: warm now, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

My fingers turned black and hard as a rock. When it was over I lost them.

Comment from: Loving the Snow, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 18

My 7 year old daughter had mild frostbite on her toes. We live in the south and actually had eight inches of snow that had the kids out of school for a week. She was outside playing all week. She wore two pairs of socks and snow boots. By the end of the week her toes (2 on each foot) started itching and were dark red to blackish. Her toes were hurting and very red and then the skin on her toes looked like she had scraped them. I took her to the doctor and her toes were actually starting to heal but the doctor said they may hurt for a few months.

Must Read Articles Related to Frostbite

Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cold Hands and Feet
Cold Hands and Feet When your hands or feet (and sometimes other parts of the body, especially your ears and nose) get too cold, they can be injured or react in different ways. Sym...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Frostbite:

Frostbite - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your frostbite?

Frostbite - Experience

What was your experience with frostbite?

Frostbite - Outlook

What was the outlook (prognosis) for your case of frostbite?

Frostbite - Causes

What were the causes of your case of frostbite, and what areas were affected?