Viewer Comments: Gallstones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones:

Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: danny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I suffered from gallbladder attacks for the past 9 months. I went for two different ultrasounds and neither showed signs of gallstones. After a severe attack, I finally went for a HIDA scan and it was determined that my gallbladder was functioning at 24%, 11% lower than acceptable. After surgery my symptoms disappeared immediately! I have had no further issues and can once again enjoy eating things other than rice and bread!!! After surgery they found an 8mm stone and evidence of chronic cholecystitis. I'm wondering how two different ultrasound scans miss an 8mm stone. I was told that stones that size stand out in an ultrasound. This one didn't. I kind of wish they had saved it to see what makeup kept it hidden from the ultra sound.

Comment from: gallstoner, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

Symptoms I experienced were extreme dull pain in abdomen area 30 minutes to 1 hour after eating a meal usually stronger pain if greasy or fatty meal. I also had back pain between the shoulder blades, indigestion, and pressure in the chest I think due to bloat in abdomen area. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Krissy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I often would have heartburn that would wake me up during the night and antacids always helped. The next symptom I started getting was that I'd again awake in the middle of the night with the feeling my entire mid section from below the breast to waist in front & from shoulder blades down entire back area were "cinched tight" as if I'd really pulled something in my back. It was difficult to even draw a deep breath and unrelenting. I had very random attacks like this one, maybe 4 times over 4 yrs. I always thought it was a pulled back or overuse. After going to the ER the last time it happened because the pain wouldn't let up no matter what I tried, I was told I had many gallstones after a CAT scan and surgery was necessary. They did it that day & I am soooo happy it's gone!!! The recovery was very quick and next to no pain after so please don't be afraid to have the procedure done.

Comment from: ktopf, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had severe pain right under my rib cage on the right side, also a burning sensation. It was constant. The only thing that helped was holding a heating pad on it. One day it was so severe I went to the ER, they told me I had a stomach ulcer. No medication helped at all. Two years later I went to another doctor who did an ultrasound and confirmed I have multiple gallstones. I will have my gallbladder removed in two weeks.

Comment from: Amelia, Published: January 20

The gallstones may cause pain when the stones react to fatty meal. This pain can be said as attack which occurs every few weeks, days, or months. The pain is usually severe, dull, and constant & can last from one to five hours. The removals of the stones are temporary. The gallstones can be prevented by low fat, low-cholesterol diet.

Comment from: lilmessedup, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My pain started a year ago. I thought it was heartburn at first and it has progressively gotten worse. Heartburn meds did not help. I would wake up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain in my abdomen and into my back. It would hurt so bad I would cry and pray for the pain to stop. The pain initially lasted a couple hours and progressively got worse. My recent episode lasted 3 days. I saw a doctor several weeks ago and I have an ulcer as well as gallstones. Not a good thing. I will soon see the surgeon about taking the gallbladder out. The only things that got me through the pain were a hot pad on my stomach and a tens unit on my back. I am looking forward to feeling myself soon.

Comment from: Holsa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

Whenever I am having a gallstone attack, I have sharp stabbing pains on the right side of my rib cage and also have pain in breathing. Some mornings I wake up and it feels like I have taken a beating all night. There is also pain and discomfort under my right shoulder blade and back. I try to limit the movements of my right arm when the pain is severe. When the pains are not sharp and stabbing, I experience a steady ache and there isn't much I can do to get comfortable. My attacks usually last at least two hours and a few times have lasted a couple of days. The attacks make it hard to function at work sometimes and make me miserable. They wear me out. I also experience lots of burping and nausea when under attack. Sometimes I feel very bloated and have a heavy full feeling in my abdomen. It is exhausting and draining going through the cycles of the attacks.

Comment from: Johnathan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I have had pain in the upper and right abdomen during various episodes over the last 3 years. After researching keywords: gall bladder diet on the Internet, I found a non-medical treatment involving a solution of Epsom salts and water to induce a flush of the intestines, and drinking a mixture of olive oil and grapefruit juice followed by a period of sleep. I've used this when symptoms became severe, such as abdominal pain and nausea. The treatment has been successful, and has not needed the removal of the gall bladder. This procedure should be considered with medical advice due to unforeseen side effects involving the Epsom salts causing possible changes in mineral levels in the body. I hope this advice will give hope to those needing a non-surgical treatment.

Must Read Articles Related to Gallstones

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Pancreatitis
Pancreatitis Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas. There are two kinds of pancreatitis, acute and chronic. The primary causes of pancreatitis are alcohol and gallsto...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones:

Gallstones - Causes

What was the cause of your gallstones?

Gallstones - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gallstones?