Viewer Comments: Gallstones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones:

Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: 1sttimeundertheknife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I am 49, female. I have been suffering from heartburn, and chronic neck pain for years (disc disease). This past year I have gone to the ER twice for long drawn-out chest pain. After cardiologist cleared me, I called the dr. and said I know my heart is not the problem but please do something about this chest pain, often lasting hours, noticeably after eating. Sonogram showed 2.5cm sludge in my gall bladder. After my surgery, actual stones were discovered and there was inflammation from blockage.

Comment from: bluegirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

This article is very informative, as are the comments from patients. I have suspected I may have gallbladder issues for some time now but never could find a clear description of the symptoms. I am quite sure now. I was always afraid of the possibility of having my gallbladder removed. I know now that I was misinformed and it will not be as bad as I thought if it turns out that is what I need. I'm still not looking forward to it. But I guess it's better than the alternative.

Comment from: Jesus A., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have had gallstone for more than a year and a half going to the ER, but they just gave me medicine, but it didn't help. I had stomach pain, vomiting and fainting. I couldn't breathe and I had this really awful pain, but I'm finally getting surgery. Thanks! Jesus A.

Comment from: cactusbob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I have no symptoms, but my doctor, in investigating the cause of my tiredness, found liver functions elevated. They had been normal for many years. He had me have an ultrasound and multiple small gallstones were found. He believed that the stones may be interfering with proper flow and affecting the liver. He has to rule out the gall bladder by removal before proceeding further. I am planning to have surgery before it becomes an emergency, although after three abdominal surgeries I'm not looking forward to it.

Comment from: danny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I suffered from gallbladder attacks for the past 9 months. I went for two different ultrasounds and neither showed signs of gallstones. After a severe attack, I finally went for a HIDA scan and it was determined that my gallbladder was functioning at 24%, 11% lower than acceptable. After surgery my symptoms disappeared immediately! I have had no further issues and can once again enjoy eating things other than rice and bread!!! After surgery they found an 8mm stone and evidence of chronic cholecystitis. I'm wondering how two different ultrasound scans miss an 8mm stone. I was told that stones that size stand out in an ultrasound. This one didn't. I kind of wish they had saved it to see what makeup kept it hidden from the ultra sound.

Comment from: gallstoner, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

Symptoms I experienced were extreme dull pain in abdomen area 30 minutes to 1 hour after eating a meal usually stronger pain if greasy or fatty meal. I also had back pain between the shoulder blades, indigestion, and pressure in the chest I think due to bloat in abdomen area. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Krissy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I often would have heartburn that would wake me up during the night and antacids always helped. The next symptom I started getting was that I'd again awake in the middle of the night with the feeling my entire mid section from below the breast to waist in front & from shoulder blades down entire back area were "cinched tight" as if I'd really pulled something in my back. It was difficult to even draw a deep breath and unrelenting. I had very random attacks like this one, maybe 4 times over 4 yrs. I always thought it was a pulled back or overuse. After going to the ER the last time it happened because the pain wouldn't let up no matter what I tried, I was told I had many gallstones after a CAT scan and surgery was necessary. They did it that day & I am soooo happy it's gone!!! The recovery was very quick and next to no pain after so please don't be afraid to have the procedure done.

Comment from: ktopf, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had severe pain right under my rib cage on the right side, also a burning sensation. It was constant. The only thing that helped was holding a heating pad on it. One day it was so severe I went to the ER, they told me I had a stomach ulcer. No medication helped at all. Two years later I went to another doctor who did an ultrasound and confirmed I have multiple gallstones. I will have my gallbladder removed in two weeks.

Comment from: Amelia, Published: January 20

The gallstones may cause pain when the stones react to fatty meal. This pain can be said as attack which occurs every few weeks, days, or months. The pain is usually severe, dull, and constant & can last from one to five hours. The removals of the stones are temporary. The gallstones can be prevented by low fat, low-cholesterol diet.

Must Read Articles Related to Gallstones

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Pancreatitis Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas. There are two kinds of pancreatitis, acute and chronic. The primary causes of pancreatitis are alcohol and gallsto...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones:

Gallstones - Causes

What was the cause of your gallstones?

Gallstones - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gallstones?