Viewer Comments: Gallstones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones:

Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: lilmessedup, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My pain started a year ago. I thought it was heartburn at first and it has progressively gotten worse. Heartburn meds did not help. I would wake up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain in my abdomen and into my back. It would hurt so bad I would cry and pray for the pain to stop. The pain initially lasted a couple hours and progressively got worse. My recent episode lasted 3 days. I saw a doctor several weeks ago and I have an ulcer as well as gallstones. Not a good thing. I will soon see the surgeon about taking the gallbladder out. The only things that got me through the pain were a hot pad on my stomach and a tens unit on my back. I am looking forward to feeling myself soon.

Comment from: Holsa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

Whenever I am having a gallstone attack, I have sharp stabbing pains on the right side of my rib cage and also have pain in breathing. Some mornings I wake up and it feels like I have taken a beating all night. There is also pain and discomfort under my right shoulder blade and back. I try to limit the movements of my right arm when the pain is severe. When the pains are not sharp and stabbing, I experience a steady ache and there isn't much I can do to get comfortable. My attacks usually last at least two hours and a few times have lasted a couple of days. The attacks make it hard to function at work sometimes and make me miserable. They wear me out. I also experience lots of burping and nausea when under attack. Sometimes I feel very bloated and have a heavy full feeling in my abdomen. It is exhausting and draining going through the cycles of the attacks.

Comment from: Johnathan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I have had pain in the upper and right abdomen during various episodes over the last 3 years. After researching keywords: gall bladder diet on the Internet, I found a non-medical treatment involving a solution of Epsom salts and water to induce a flush of the intestines, and drinking a mixture of olive oil and grapefruit juice followed by a period of sleep. I've used this when symptoms became severe, such as abdominal pain and nausea. The treatment has been successful, and has not needed the removal of the gall bladder. This procedure should be considered with medical advice due to unforeseen side effects involving the Epsom salts causing possible changes in mineral levels in the body. I hope this advice will give hope to those needing a non-surgical treatment.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I discovered a pain in my stomach and I was vomiting a lot. I couldn't stand the smell of food and all I could do was sleep on the floor on my tummy to ease the pain. I went to the doctor and he said it might be gall stone. He suggested that I go for an ultrasound. I haven't gone yet, but with the medications he gave me, the pain just comes every now and then.

Comment from: cassie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I suffered excruciating and sudden pain in my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack. I was admitted to the hospital, where I was found to be fit and I was sent home. I had another attack after eating one day, and I was admitted again, where they did a scan and found the gallstones. I had surgery the next day, which gave me instant relief, but two years down the track, I still have some minor aches. Previously, I did suffer with occasional indigestion.

Comment from: Dorothy, 45-54 Female Published: December 09

My name is Dorothy, just diagnosed with stones in gallbladder. I have had two attacks thus far that were really unpleasant; with upper abdomen pains radiating to the back from the neck down to both shoulder blades always at night. Both times I received medication and after vomiting got some relief. Doctors say I need go for a surgery, but am currently taking water therapy to see if that can reduce the size of the stones and eventually flush them out.

Comment from: inmygarden, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a 54 year old Caucasian woman who has had 6 pregnancies. I am also a little overweight and recently went on a diet. My symptoms started just below the breast bone and radiated to the back between my shoulder blades. I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the emergency room. They did chest X-ray and all the blood tests and told me that my heart didn't seem to be the problem but my liver enzymes were elevated. No one mentioned the possibility of gallstones. I followed up with my doctor who tested for all the hepatitis... all negative. Almost 3 weeks after the first episode I suffered another. Both episodes each lasted about 4 hours and came on at night. I did a search on the internet for "pain between shoulder blades" and found out that this is a classic symptom of gallstones. I called my doctor and he ordered an ultrasound... sure enough... lots of gallstones. Now I'm scheduled for surgery in a couple of days.

Comment from: Kristen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I just had my gall bladder removed about a week and a half ago, after having to be admitted to the hospital for acute pancreatitis. I had seven gallstones which apparently ended up blocking my pancreatic duct. I cannot say that I had jaundice or itching, but I definitely felt the pain in my lower rib cage/abdomen. For those of you that feel the pain in the center, you may want to get an ultrasound, because pancreatitis is life-threatening. I know, I spent 9 days in ICU. But now that the gall bladder is gone, I feel like I have a new lease on life.

Must Read Articles Related to Gallstones

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Pancreatitis Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas. There are two kinds of pancreatitis, acute and chronic. The primary causes of pancreatitis are alcohol and gallsto...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones:

Gallstones - Causes

What was the cause of your gallstones?

Gallstones - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gallstones?