Viewer Comments: Gallstones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones:

Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: lhelmick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

When I was pregnant with my first child, I started having severe pain in my upper right abdomen. I mentioned in to my doctor and she said that it was probably indigestion. I had an "attack" about every two weeks during my pregnancy. The pain would wake me in the middle of the night. I would feel as if I needed to go to the bathroom or vomit. The attacks usually lasted anywhere between 30 minutes to two hours and usually involved me vomiting to get any pain relief. After I had my daughter, I didn't have any problems for about two months. Then all of a sudden, they came back, at least one a week. I soon found out that I was pregnant again. So again I chalked it up to severe indigestion and started watching my diet. Over time, I realized and was able to eliminate certain foods that caused me problems: milk, hot dogs (processed foods), soda, chocolate, peanut butter, and many others. I mentioned it to my doctor again and asked her why those foods would be causing indigestion. She said that I may have gallbladder issues. After I had my son, again, all the pain went away for about six weeks. Then it all came back again. I went to the doctor and had an ultrasound performed, and they confirmed that I have gallstones. I was referred to a surgeon.

The first episode began gradually with a burning pain and a lot of pressure just beneath my ribs on the right side, straight down from my breast. The pain and pressure got worse over the course of an hour until I could hardly move or take a deep breath. When I tried to manipulate the area (thinking it must be trapped gas) I could feel a hardening and enlarging of (what I now know was) my gallbladder. After a couple of hours, the pain slowly subsided. The second episode began the same way, same spot, but this time it radiated to my back. I tried to burp, thinking it would relieve the horrible pain, and I immediately and violently vomited until my throat bled. Two days later, an ultrasound showed two small gallstones.

Looking backwards from surgery date to symptoms, I had jaundice, uncontrollable itching, nausea, chest pain (that felt like someone took a belt and cinched it under my breasts as tight as they could), abdominal pain from under my breasts down to my lower abdomen, back pain from under my shoulder blades to my spine and then other times I would feel perfectly normal. Of all the symptoms, the only one that seemed to be consistent was the itching.

Comment from: 1sttimeundertheknife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I am 49, female. I have been suffering from heartburn, and chronic neck pain for years (disc disease). This past year I have gone to the ER twice for long drawn-out chest pain. After cardiologist cleared me, I called the dr. and said I know my heart is not the problem but please do something about this chest pain, often lasting hours, noticeably after eating. Sonogram showed 2.5cm sludge in my gall bladder. After my surgery, actual stones were discovered and there was inflammation from blockage.

Comment from: bluegirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

This article is very informative, as are the comments from patients. I have suspected I may have gallbladder issues for some time now but never could find a clear description of the symptoms. I am quite sure now. I was always afraid of the possibility of having my gallbladder removed. I know now that I was misinformed and it will not be as bad as I thought if it turns out that is what I need. I'm still not looking forward to it. But I guess it's better than the alternative.

Comment from: Jesus A., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have had gallstone for more than a year and a half going to the ER, but they just gave me medicine, but it didn't help. I had stomach pain, vomiting and fainting. I couldn't breathe and I had this really awful pain, but I'm finally getting surgery. Thanks! Jesus A.

Comment from: cactusbob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I have no symptoms, but my doctor, in investigating the cause of my tiredness, found liver functions elevated. They had been normal for many years. He had me have an ultrasound and multiple small gallstones were found. He believed that the stones may be interfering with proper flow and affecting the liver. He has to rule out the gall bladder by removal before proceeding further. I am planning to have surgery before it becomes an emergency, although after three abdominal surgeries I'm not looking forward to it.

Must Read Articles Related to Gallstones

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Pancreatitis
Pancreatitis Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas. There are two kinds of pancreatitis, acute and chronic. The primary causes of pancreatitis are alcohol and gallsto...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones:

Gallstones - Causes

What was the cause of your gallstones?

Gallstones - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gallstones?