Viewer Comments: Gallstones - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones:

Gallstones - Causes

What was the cause of your gallstones?

Comment from: jen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I am overweight (75kg) and 36 years old. I was experiencing stomach pain for nearly five years now. I'm still working in Singapore as DH that time. My employer always sends me to the doctor to have prescription from the doctor who diagnosed it as ulcer only. So every time I feel pain I just took a pain reliever tablet and after a few minutes the pain will subside. Only year 2009 that pain constantly attack for almost every month and the medicine I took have no effect already that makes me seek doctor's advice from our place, here in Philippines. And the doctor told me that the symptoms I experienced is that I might have a gallstone.

Comment from: BillyRubinOCD, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I'm a slightly overweight sedentary 47yr male. I've eaten what I liked forever. Then last Christmas I had the norovirus. Having lost a few pounds saw this as an opportunity to start a stricter diet. I ate little but often for three weeks before first bout of indigestion - never had heartburn or indigestion in my life. The evening meal was fatty over-indulgence (like I used to before Christmas). The attack was 1 a.m. in the morning. Since then I've further attacks, worsening each time, and all in the early hours of the morning, and all after a high-fat meal. I diagnosed as having gallbladder inflammation caused by small gallstones moving around and blocking biliary ducts. These gallstones had been there years and only became a problem when I lost weight quite quickly after being ill. The attacks were very painful episodes, so rather than suffer the risk of these recurring, and having to avoid eating the food I love for the remainder of my life. I opted for keyhole surgery to remove the offending gallbladder and gallstones.

Comment from: rayv, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

I had eaten a very fatty meal the evening before my gallstone attack. And frankly, I had eaten way too many fatty meals before that.

Comment from: jimmy p, 45-54 Male Published: June 17

I just came from the ER with symptoms of gallbladder stones. The pain was so horrible this time I could not find any relief at all. I tried a heating pad then an ice pad, but nothing worked. I finally gave up at 3:00am and drove myself to the hospital. They started an IV and gave me something for the nausea and pain and it was a good hour or so before it finally kicked in. Had blood work, X-ray, and a CT scan which showed up positive for a stone. I guess it's time to get serious about my diet!

Comment from: wrightmother, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

Unbeknownst to me my rapid weight loss and addition of estrogen at the age of 55 caused the formation of gallstones.

Comment from: beatlejohn, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 31

I've had these belly aches for nearly four years now. I'm suffering from a chest ache feeling sick, headaches, so I went to the doctor and he did an ultrasound and found gallstones in my gallbladder.

Comment from: TracyC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had nearly a year of stomach pain, sickness, sweating, itchy skin, feeling very tired and generally unwell after eating and was being treated for IBS. By the sounds of it I have been very unlucky because I have the pain every day with only the occasional breaks. I have been going for blood each month for 4 months and each time my liver reading was high after much pressure my GP sent me for an ultrasound scan and it showed that my gallbladder was full of stones and scar tissue. Now I'm waiting to have my gallbladder removed.

Comment from: Martha Sullivan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had suffered greatly from gallstone formation. And I honestly think or at least in part had to do with birth control pills and hormonal. Once I changed my lifestyle and diet I felt a whole lot better. Of course I also treated the gallbladder. But people can really prevent things from happening by decreasing the harmful things they put in their body. At least that is my view.

Comment from: lisa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I went on a 500 calorie diet recently with no fat in my diet, 6 weeks later,and 30lbs lighter, I was having discomfort on my right side under my rib cage, lo and hold, the ultra sound showed gallstones! Surgery is in a few days, I look good, but I am not sure if it was worth it, would I do it again? No way!

Comment from: Joycebob49, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

It started out with kidney stones that they found because I had lots of bladder problems. Now they want to look at gallbladder!

Must Read Articles Related to Gallstones

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Pancreatitis
Pancreatitis Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas. There are two kinds of pancreatitis, acute and chronic. The primary causes of pancreatitis are alcohol and gallsto...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gallstones:

Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Gallstones - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gallstones?