Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Comment from: Jmarie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been going back to school for a little over a year now for nursing and I write all the time. Six months ago I started to see a small knot on the top of my wrist and within the past month I started to get another on the right side. One ganglion cyst is a quarter size and the other is about a dime size. I am hoping when school is over they will fade away.

Comment from: Betty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had a large ganglion cyst removed on the top of my right hand when I was 17. I am now 68 and it has never returned. I have several ganglion cysts on my left hand at the top of my fingers. My doctors said it was caused by carrying plastic bags with my fingers. They are now starting to hurt. Don't know what to do now. My hands are arthritic and do not want to have surgery.

Comment from: HK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I had surgery. The ganglion was one of the most painful injuries to my body. This was my seventh orthopedic surgery and one of the most painful.

Comment from: Alison, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I had a bump on my foot which my dermatologist said was an epidermoid cyst. It got painful and bigger quickly so the doctor said to remove it. It was supposed to be a simple procedure in the office with a local anesthetic. When he opened my foot he said he couldn't find the cyst. After some digging he found it and said he couldn't remove it, only drain it. Within a few weeks the cyst was back and growing bigger than before. I saw a foot specialist who drained it. They were surprised when blood came out too. She thinks it's a ganglion cyst. She said draining it and injecting it with cortisone would relieve the pain and it would get smaller. I have another appointment coming up, but I am concerned and frustrated.

Comment from: amomfirst, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

When I was about 20, I was sitting in class and dropped my pen while taking notes. I couldn't figure out what happened. Writing began to cause pain in my wrist. I had no apparent bumps or we might have suspected a ganglion cyst like my mom and her mom used to get. My grandma would hit hers with a big book! One doctor injected my wrist with cortisone. Another gave me an antidepressant for my 'writer's cramp.' A few people tried to get me to see a psychologist or admit I didn't like school! Nine doctors and 18 months later, a doctor figured out that it was a ganglion cyst and did surgery to scrape it out from between the carpal bones of the wrist. Sometimes a long writing session will feel a bit painful, but nothing like it was back in college. I'm so grateful it hasn't returned!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I've had a lump on the inside of my right wrist for over six months. I went to a hand surgeon and he gave me a brace to wear for six weeks. It didn't help. I went to him again and he said to just wear it at night. I do that but the lump seems bigger and my hand and arm hurt a lot. I have trouble sleeping because of the pain.

Comment from: Amanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I developed a ganglion cyst in my left wrist at 14 after hitting my arm on a rock. After about 5 years of suffering with numbness in my hand, it was finally removed via surgery. After the surgery I was told that I had 12 cysts that were wrapped around the tendon and pinning it to the bone which was affecting the nerves and causing the pain. This cyst has not recurred, however I still have varying levels of numbness in my left hand constantly but the pain is no longer a problem. I had a fall about 12 months ago and within 30 minutes a lump had developed on my right wrist and I was suffering from pins and needles in my right hand. After a very painful examination, four x-rays, an MRI and an ultrasound I was advised that I had a ganglion cyst. My doctor suggested immobilization for six weeks as treatment to see if this reduced the amount of pain involved. After this failed, the cyst was injected with steroids. The steroid injection provided immediate relief from the pain but only lasted for two months. My doctor has now referred me for surgery. As I am right handed and my left hand is numb 95% of the time, I suffer constant pain. I am also allergic to NSAIDS (and most other pain killers) so I have tried just about every "home" treatment I could find (including bible therapy) all to no avail.

Comment from: Lady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I've had a ganglion cyst for about 15 years. For a while I had to have it drained monthly. A sports medicine doctor once told me that if I had it surgically removed the chance of returning was pretty great, so I opted to never have surgery on the wrist. Now I see a rheumatologist who gives me an injection in my wrist about once every six months, which seems to keep it down.

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?