Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

...
Comment from: shatoya3384, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I recently had a ganglion cyst removal on my right inner part of my wrist and it was attached to a major artery along with some nerves as well. So, since surgery my hand is worse. My wrist doesn't bend at all and when I try, it's painful.

Comment from: Cajun Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

My orthopedic surgeon diagnosed the large bump on the top of my right foot as a ganglion cyst about 2 years ago. I also noticed that I had a bump on my ankle. He ordered an MRI to see what was going on. It turned out that it was also a ganglion cyst and the two were connected. He drained the cyst through the bump on the ankle. He said there was a 50% chance that it would return and it did. He said he could drain it again, but it would probably return again. Now I feel it is affecting the way I walk and makes me limp sometimes because my foot doesn't flex. It also hurts sometimes. He originally told me to leave it alone. But he also said that I could see another orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet. I think I will do that to see what he thinks.

Comment from: laurenk, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I first noticed my ganglion cyst on my right wrist when I was about 12. I had it drained with a needle several times, but it kept coming back. When I was 17, I had it surgically removed, but within two years it was back again. I am a massage therapist and my cyst disappears and reappears off and on, seeming to reappear and get bigger and more painful during times when I am massaging a lot. It's a nuisance and I wish it would stay away! I would not suggest the surgery if you are going to be paying out of pocket since it is likely to come back eventually.

Comment from: AGSerra1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had my first event with a ganglion cyst when I was about 25 years old. It wasn't a just a lump that I am seeing in these photos. It was and is a smooth blue bump that is over a quarter size area just below the 2nd knuckle on the back of my hand. It just shows up, and am just now going through my 3rd episode. No doctor wishes to do anything. They feel it may be related to vascular issues. So I have to just live with the joint pain in my fingers and hand. Then it ruptures and burns and my hand is in real pain. I have gone to several doctors including a vascular doctor in the past and no one was willing to help.

Comment from: Jmarie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been going back to school for a little over a year now for nursing and I write all the time. Six months ago I started to see a small knot on the top of my wrist and within the past month I started to get another on the right side. One ganglion cyst is a quarter size and the other is about a dime size. I am hoping when school is over they will fade away.

Comment from: Betty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had a large ganglion cyst removed on the top of my right hand when I was 17. I am now 68 and it has never returned. I have several ganglion cysts on my left hand at the top of my fingers. My doctors said it was caused by carrying plastic bags with my fingers. They are now starting to hurt. Don't know what to do now. My hands are arthritic and do not want to have surgery.

Comment from: HK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I had surgery. The ganglion was one of the most painful injuries to my body. This was my seventh orthopedic surgery and one of the most painful.

Comment from: Alison, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I had a bump on my foot which my dermatologist said was an epidermoid cyst. It got painful and bigger quickly so the doctor said to remove it. It was supposed to be a simple procedure in the office with a local anesthetic. When he opened my foot he said he couldn't find the cyst. After some digging he found it and said he couldn't remove it, only drain it. Within a few weeks the cyst was back and growing bigger than before. I saw a foot specialist who drained it. They were surprised when blood came out too. She thinks it's a ganglion cyst. She said draining it and injecting it with cortisone would relieve the pain and it would get smaller. I have another appointment coming up, but I am concerned and frustrated.

Comment from: amomfirst, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

When I was about 20, I was sitting in class and dropped my pen while taking notes. I couldn't figure out what happened. Writing began to cause pain in my wrist. I had no apparent bumps or we might have suspected a ganglion cyst like my mom and her mom used to get. My grandma would hit hers with a big book! One doctor injected my wrist with cortisone. Another gave me an antidepressant for my 'writer's cramp.' A few people tried to get me to see a psychologist or admit I didn't like school! Nine doctors and 18 months later, a doctor figured out that it was a ganglion cyst and did surgery to scrape it out from between the carpal bones of the wrist. Sometimes a long writing session will feel a bit painful, but nothing like it was back in college. I'm so grateful it hasn't returned!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that c...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?