Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

...
Comment from: anonymous, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had a golf-ball-sized ganglion cyst appear overnight on the top side of my right wrist about 2 years ago. It was so painful that I went to see my doctor immediately. She referred me to a hand surgeon who told me that he could drain it, but it would probably reappear. He recommended surgery. I had the surgery within a week of the cyst first appearing. Now, two years later my wrist still aches about 85% of the time. The surgeon said the root of the cyst went all the way to the bone. I now have a pea sized cyst at the base of my index finger on the palm side of my right hand. It has been coming/going intermittently for the past 25 years. It is always painful when I have it, but usually goes away within a month or so. I certainly wish the cause of these cysts could be determined and a "cure" found.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had a ganglion surgically removed from the outside of my wrist 25 years ago. I also had one removed from the outside of my ankle 2 1/2 years ago. Both have been fine since. I now have one in the inside of each wrist. The left one is huge and very painful. The right one is small and hurts occasionally. I'm only hesitating on surgery because I've had many operations and am not anxious for more.

Comment from: jaherrick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had three ganglion cysts on my right hand directly above my ulna. I would like to describe what happened in each instance. 1. I had the first cyst for about two months in 2006. That year, we had a severe winter and ice was blocking the drain to my driveway causing a backup of ice. I got an ice chipper and chipped ice for about four hours relatively continuously clutching the chipper with an up and down motion. Miraculously, I noticed the cyst went away right after that. 2. In the fall of 2010, I got another cyst. I went to the doctor's and had it drained in December. It cost $500. The cyst reappeared, and was even larger within a month. 3. I have had the cyst since January and today I went skiing. There was a lot of powder and I really had to dig in with my poles, of course clutching the pole with an up and down movement. When I took my gloves off after a seven hour ski, the cyst was GONE.

Comment from: nigel, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I am a 38yr old New Zealand male with a ganglion on the top right side of my wrist. This is painful and I drop things because of the pain. I have trouble holding the steering wheel of the car. I have tried to pop it with heavy books etc and lately have been so desperate. My doctor is reluctant to do anything with it as I have multiple sclerosis but don't have any symptoms but he says he could set it off if he hits a nerve I am so desperate to get rid of it and I also am developing one in my right wrist.

Comment from: hummingbird, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had laser treatment on the ball of my foot near the big toe for a plantar wart. I believe the laser treatment contributed to the very large ganglion cyst that appeared immediately afterwards. My podiatrist did not know at the time that this was a ganglion cyst. He aspirated the bloody fluid and sent it for biopsy. The biopsy report said it was unlikely to be a ganglion cyst, but could not identify what it was, so I went for a second opinion. The second podiatrist sent me for an MRI. Again, the report said it could not identify what it was. I then had surgery to remove this mass because of the burning and pain associated with it. The incision has 18 stitches, I am in a cast to my knee for at least 3 weeks, and it is pretty painful.

Published: December 10

I had a small ganglion cyst on the back of my wrist several years ago. My doctor suggested that I massage it (hard) every day. After about a week, it went away and has never returned.

Comment from: Cortisone Queen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have had the pain in my right wrist increasingly present over the past 13 years. Within the past year, however it's been worse. I just had the diagnoses of ganglion cyst and a subsequent cortisone shot. I will wait a few weeks for a follow-up to see if it worked. I was told that 60-65% of patients are fine after a cortisone shot, others need surgical removal. After reading the preceding comments, I'm not convinced surgery is the best option.

Comment from: melbourne girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a ganglion cyst for many years and it grew larger over time. I went to see a chiropractor and she used the activator on it and did some wrist adjustments and within one month it disappeared and it has been 12 months since and it is still gone. No need for surgery when a chiropractor is near. My niece had hers surgically removed but it came back again.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?