Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Comment from: Gaynor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

One morning I woke up and nearly fell over with pain. It was six months before I managed to get an MRI which showed I have a ganglion pushing on my sciatic nerve next to my spine. I was about to have an operation to have it removed and my surgeon fell ill. It was another month before I was able to see another surgeon. I was offered an injection. While considering my options, over a period of two weeks the pain in back has diminished by about 90%.After reading your website, I notice they can disappear. I pray that mine has.

Comment from: bella.mella, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

My wrists are a very weak point in my body; I had a ganglion cyst surgically removed from my right wrist at age 14 (20 years ago), leaving a 1-inch scar. I am a massage therapist and have now developed one in my left wrist. Very disappointing. The pain radiates up my arm and down through my fingers. I had not heard of simple aspiration as a possibility and am hopeful of such a solution this time around.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I had a ganglion cyst, which I had removed recently because it was too painful to wait. I have had no other problems so far.

Comment from: wh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had a ganglion cyst show up suddenly in July. It hurt when I moved my wrist. A friend who is a RMT stretched and massaged around it and it felt better but didn't really go away. That same friend smacked it with a spoon several times in October and it broke up a bit. Then it came back even bigger in January. In March, I had a chiropractor friend break it using a spoon and one of those collapsing boards. That didn't work too well. Finally, I convinced my boyfriend to smash it with a textbook. So he used his most-hated pharmacy textbook and hit the ganglion on my wrist. My first reaction was the shock of discovering that the bump disappeared that fast... then it turned to pain! Ha! Within an hour or so, the pain was just the regular ache I had learned to live with while having the bump. I'm considering splinting my wrist to help ease the strain.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I recently had a dime-sized ganglion cyst removed from my left wrist and a very small one removed from left middle finger. The surgery is fairly easy, recovery not so much - in fact it is far more painful a week after surgery than it ever was as a cyst. Hopefully it's gone for good now as previous attempts to inject it with steroids were unsuccessful.

Comment from: MASTER YETS, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I am 32. I never had ganglion cysts until the last few years. I probably got them after a skateboarding fall in which I thought I was lucky not to have broken my wrist. I started to wear wristbands that my girlfriend gave me. I started rocking them over my cyst and accidentally wore it to bed. I noticed that my cyst had gone down basically disappeared. I have to been wearing them just to be sure but the big old bump that used to be on my wrist that bugged my when scrubbing, or doing push-ups, and everything else is gone now. I tried to pop it by squeezing with no results and I noticed it to be more aggravated. I stumbled on to something people might want to try. Gone! No doctor visit needed.

Comment from: 44 gym rat, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had two on my left ankle and just recently had it return for a third time. I am going to elect to have it aspirated and injected with a steroid. Thank goodness I play basketball with an orthopedic surgeon three times a week.

Comment from: Durango, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had a ganglion cyst on the outside top of my right foot (right below my ankle) in 2007. It took a whole year to recover from the surgery because the cyst was so deep. I finally recuperated from the surgery, by the site is still very tender. Well, two weeks ago, I discovered that another cyst has formed right below the site of the previous cyst!

Comment from: Mimi, 55-64 Female Published: March 24

I have a marble sized bump on the inside of my right wrist. Dr. said it was a ganglion cyst. She says to do nothing it will eventually go away. I have had at least two others in the same spot, but none have lasted as long or hurt as much as this one. I am almost incapable of performing any task with my right hand and wrist.

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?