Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Comment from: amomfirst, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

When I was about 20, I was sitting in class and dropped my pen while taking notes. I couldn't figure out what happened. Writing began to cause pain in my wrist. I had no apparent bumps or we might have suspected a ganglion cyst like my mom and her mom used to get. My grandma would hit hers with a big book! One doctor injected my wrist with cortisone. Another gave me an antidepressant for my 'writer's cramp.' A few people tried to get me to see a psychologist or admit I didn't like school! Nine doctors and 18 months later, a doctor figured out that it was a ganglion cyst and did surgery to scrape it out from between the carpal bones of the wrist. Sometimes a long writing session will feel a bit painful, but nothing like it was back in college. I'm so grateful it hasn't returned!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I've had a lump on the inside of my right wrist for over six months. I went to a hand surgeon and he gave me a brace to wear for six weeks. It didn't help. I went to him again and he said to just wear it at night. I do that but the lump seems bigger and my hand and arm hurt a lot. I have trouble sleeping because of the pain.

Comment from: Amanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I developed a ganglion cyst in my left wrist at 14 after hitting my arm on a rock. After about 5 years of suffering with numbness in my hand, it was finally removed via surgery. After the surgery I was told that I had 12 cysts that were wrapped around the tendon and pinning it to the bone which was affecting the nerves and causing the pain. This cyst has not recurred, however I still have varying levels of numbness in my left hand constantly but the pain is no longer a problem. I had a fall about 12 months ago and within 30 minutes a lump had developed on my right wrist and I was suffering from pins and needles in my right hand. After a very painful examination, four x-rays, an MRI and an ultrasound I was advised that I had a ganglion cyst. My doctor suggested immobilization for six weeks as treatment to see if this reduced the amount of pain involved. After this failed, the cyst was injected with steroids. The steroid injection provided immediate relief from the pain but only lasted for two months. My doctor has now referred me for surgery. As I am right handed and my left hand is numb 95% of the time, I suffer constant pain. I am also allergic to NSAIDS (and most other pain killers) so I have tried just about every "home" treatment I could find (including bible therapy) all to no avail.

Comment from: Lady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I've had a ganglion cyst for about 15 years. For a while I had to have it drained monthly. A sports medicine doctor once told me that if I had it surgically removed the chance of returning was pretty great, so I opted to never have surgery on the wrist. Now I see a rheumatologist who gives me an injection in my wrist about once every six months, which seems to keep it down.

Comment from: baby cak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had a ganglion cyst on my right wrist 50 years ago. I had it removed and it came back within a year. My cysts disappeared after lifting patient and it never returned.

Comment from: ktnov, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was injured at work. Before that I had no problem with my hand that I ever noticed. With 10 minutes there was a large lump on my hand which turned out to be a cyst. The doctor did an ultrasound and there were actually 7 of them. All were drained and I was told they rarely reappear but it was possible.

Comment from: cc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have a big ganglion cyst on the side and back of right knee and was told it is quite big. I fell on my knee and had an MRI and that is when it was discovered.

Comment from: lumpy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have a very small painful lump on my right wrist. I went to the doctor and she said it was a ganglion cyst. I was told to wear a wrist brace and was given an anti-inflammatory medication.

Comment from: mel72, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My son has had surgery to remove a ganglion cyst on his foot three times. Removal was needed because it hurt him to wear shoes and play. The last surgery he had was to do the same .However his surgeon came back to say this time it was a build-up of blood vessels and not a ganglion. I am concerned if this will now impact his life.

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that c...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?