Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Comment from: baby cak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had a ganglion cyst on my right wrist 50 years ago. I had it removed and it came back within a year. My cysts disappeared after lifting patient and it never returned.

Comment from: ktnov, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was injured at work. Before that I had no problem with my hand that I ever noticed. With 10 minutes there was a large lump on my hand which turned out to be a cyst. The doctor did an ultrasound and there were actually 7 of them. All were drained and I was told they rarely reappear but it was possible.

Comment from: cc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have a big ganglion cyst on the side and back of right knee and was told it is quite big. I fell on my knee and had an MRI and that is when it was discovered.

Comment from: lumpy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have a very small painful lump on my right wrist. I went to the doctor and she said it was a ganglion cyst. I was told to wear a wrist brace and was given an anti-inflammatory medication.

Comment from: mel72, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My son has had surgery to remove a ganglion cyst on his foot three times. Removal was needed because it hurt him to wear shoes and play. The last surgery he had was to do the same .However his surgeon came back to say this time it was a build-up of blood vessels and not a ganglion. I am concerned if this will now impact his life.

Comment from: anonymous, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had a golf-ball-sized ganglion cyst appear overnight on the top side of my right wrist about 2 years ago. It was so painful that I went to see my doctor immediately. She referred me to a hand surgeon who told me that he could drain it, but it would probably reappear. He recommended surgery. I had the surgery within a week of the cyst first appearing. Now, two years later my wrist still aches about 85% of the time. The surgeon said the root of the cyst went all the way to the bone. I now have a pea sized cyst at the base of my index finger on the palm side of my right hand. It has been coming/going intermittently for the past 25 years. It is always painful when I have it, but usually goes away within a month or so. I certainly wish the cause of these cysts could be determined and a "cure" found.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had a ganglion surgically removed from the outside of my wrist 25 years ago. I also had one removed from the outside of my ankle 2 1/2 years ago. Both have been fine since. I now have one in the inside of each wrist. The left one is huge and very painful. The right one is small and hurts occasionally. I'm only hesitating on surgery because I've had many operations and am not anxious for more.

Comment from: jaherrick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had three ganglion cysts on my right hand directly above my ulna. I would like to describe what happened in each instance. 1. I had the first cyst for about two months in 2006. That year, we had a severe winter and ice was blocking the drain to my driveway causing a backup of ice. I got an ice chipper and chipped ice for about four hours relatively continuously clutching the chipper with an up and down motion. Miraculously, I noticed the cyst went away right after that. 2. In the fall of 2010, I got another cyst. I went to the doctor's and had it drained in December. It cost $500. The cyst reappeared, and was even larger within a month. 3. I have had the cyst since January and today I went skiing. There was a lot of powder and I really had to dig in with my poles, of course clutching the pole with an up and down movement. When I took my gloves off after a seven hour ski, the cyst was GONE.

Comment from: nigel, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I am a 38yr old New Zealand male with a ganglion on the top right side of my wrist. This is painful and I drop things because of the pain. I have trouble holding the steering wheel of the car. I have tried to pop it with heavy books etc and lately have been so desperate. My doctor is reluctant to do anything with it as I have multiple sclerosis but don't have any symptoms but he says he could set it off if he hits a nerve I am so desperate to get rid of it and I also am developing one in my right wrist.

Comment from: hummingbird, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had laser treatment on the ball of my foot near the big toe for a plantar wart. I believe the laser treatment contributed to the very large ganglion cyst that appeared immediately afterwards. My podiatrist did not know at the time that this was a ganglion cyst. He aspirated the bloody fluid and sent it for biopsy. The biopsy report said it was unlikely to be a ganglion cyst, but could not identify what it was, so I went for a second opinion. The second podiatrist sent me for an MRI. Again, the report said it could not identify what it was. I then had surgery to remove this mass because of the burning and pain associated with it. The incision has 18 stitches, I am in a cast to my knee for at least 3 weeks, and it is pretty painful.

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?