Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Comment from: aekfuller@hotmail.co, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

Last year I noticed a small bump on my pinky between the knuckle and cuticle. It grew to the size of a pea and it looked infected but I could touch it with no pain. I went to the doctor and was referred to a hand surgeon. I was prepped for surgery in a day surgery facility. I was given an IV with sleepy meds. I woke up in recovery with a small bandage on my flat finger, and my nail was growing as if it were in a vice pushing it up sharply. Now five months later I have a perfect nail, and a tiny scar. I feel very lucky to have such wonderful insurance.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had a bump suddenly appear on my left hand about 5 months ago. It was pea sized one day and marble sized the next. It didn't hurt, but it did move with the tendons when I wiggled my fingers. Several months later it disappeared as fast as it came. Next time I was at the doctor, I told him and he said it was probably a ganglion cyst. Now suddenly this week a marble sized bump appeared on the back on my right hand. It grew fast like before and two days later was huge bump in the middle on my hand. It hurt if I pushed on it and it hurt when I moved my hand in certain ways. Once again it moves with the tendons and it feels "squishy" like before. I decided to get in for an office visit while I still had it. My doctor had no openings for at least a week, so I saw one of his associates. I told her about the left hand and now this one. She examined the new one and said that it is a ganglion cyst. She said the draining doesn't usually work well, but surgery is an option if it bothers me. I would rather wait and see if it will go away like the other one. She told me it was common for them to get bigger and smaller over time.

Comment from: UrshPursh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I have had a few of these at various times at the base of my fingers where they meet the palm. They have been rock hard (feels like bone) and have got progressively more painful over a period of months, until they have burst, accompanied by severe flu-like symptoms. I have searched the web and also spoken to my Doctor, and can find no information on why this would be accompanied by the flu symptoms.

Comment from: mtiger1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had a ganglion cyst surgically removed when I was 16. It did recur w/in a year or two, but with little pain or discomfort until recently (30 years later). Until now, the pain has been intermittent. Now it is almost constant. Time to see someone, I guess.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I am a 13 year old athlete. Last night I fell while playing basketball. Later that night I noticed the pea- sized bump on my wrist and showed my mom. She made a doctor's appointment and he said I have a ganglion cyst. It is not painful or big, so I am ok ;-)

Comment from: kittykay3, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I've had surgery the first time and the cast drove me nuts, but the cyst returned.

Comment from: Rick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I get them a lot on my left hand. All my life (I'm 42), but in the last 5 years or so I'm getting them more often. Once a year or so I guess. I'm not sure if it is a problem... Once they get big enough to cause me some discomfort, I find something flat and hard like the edge of my desk, grit my teeth and smack my hand against it until it pops. Just did that 10 minutes ago (which is why I Googled), and everything is fine now. Don't take that as a recommendation though... :-)

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

My doctor thinks I have a ganglion cyst. I have had this “bubble” in my foot for about nine months now.

Comment from: Momofthree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have had ganglion cysts each time after I have had children (3 boys) and I believe it came from the constant lifting of the child and/or the positions held during breastfeeding. I went to an orthopedic surgeon the first time and was charge a $100 office visit for him to tell me he couldn't do anything about it, except maybe drop a big book on it. I ended up going to my mother's chiropractor who indicated I had a pinched nerve between my shoulder blades. After three adjustments, they were gone and did not return again until after my 2nd child was born. I saw the chiropractor again as soon as they arose and he helped once again. The same with the 3rd child. No more since then but whenever I feel a tightness coming on, I run to my doctor (chiropractor).

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?