Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had a ganglion surgically removed from the outside of my wrist 25 years ago. I also had one removed from the outside of my ankle 2 1/2 years ago. Both have been fine since. I now have one in the inside of each wrist. The left one is huge and very painful. The right one is small and hurts occasionally. I'm only hesitating on surgery because I've had many operations and am not anxious for more.

Comment from: jaherrick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had three ganglion cysts on my right hand directly above my ulna. I would like to describe what happened in each instance. 1. I had the first cyst for about two months in 2006. That year, we had a severe winter and ice was blocking the drain to my driveway causing a backup of ice. I got an ice chipper and chipped ice for about four hours relatively continuously clutching the chipper with an up and down motion. Miraculously, I noticed the cyst went away right after that. 2. In the fall of 2010, I got another cyst. I went to the doctor's and had it drained in December. It cost $500. The cyst reappeared, and was even larger within a month. 3. I have had the cyst since January and today I went skiing. There was a lot of powder and I really had to dig in with my poles, of course clutching the pole with an up and down movement. When I took my gloves off after a seven hour ski, the cyst was GONE.

Comment from: nigel, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I am a 38yr old New Zealand male with a ganglion on the top right side of my wrist. This is painful and I drop things because of the pain. I have trouble holding the steering wheel of the car. I have tried to pop it with heavy books etc and lately have been so desperate. My doctor is reluctant to do anything with it as I have multiple sclerosis but don't have any symptoms but he says he could set it off if he hits a nerve I am so desperate to get rid of it and I also am developing one in my right wrist.

Comment from: hummingbird, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had laser treatment on the ball of my foot near the big toe for a plantar wart. I believe the laser treatment contributed to the very large ganglion cyst that appeared immediately afterwards. My podiatrist did not know at the time that this was a ganglion cyst. He aspirated the bloody fluid and sent it for biopsy. The biopsy report said it was unlikely to be a ganglion cyst, but could not identify what it was, so I went for a second opinion. The second podiatrist sent me for an MRI. Again, the report said it could not identify what it was. I then had surgery to remove this mass because of the burning and pain associated with it. The incision has 18 stitches, I am in a cast to my knee for at least 3 weeks, and it is pretty painful.

Published: December 10

I had a small ganglion cyst on the back of my wrist several years ago. My doctor suggested that I massage it (hard) every day. After about a week, it went away and has never returned.

Comment from: Cortisone Queen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have had the pain in my right wrist increasingly present over the past 13 years. Within the past year, however it's been worse. I just had the diagnoses of ganglion cyst and a subsequent cortisone shot. I will wait a few weeks for a follow-up to see if it worked. I was told that 60-65% of patients are fine after a cortisone shot, others need surgical removal. After reading the preceding comments, I'm not convinced surgery is the best option.

Comment from: melbourne girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a ganglion cyst for many years and it grew larger over time. I went to see a chiropractor and she used the activator on it and did some wrist adjustments and within one month it disappeared and it has been 12 months since and it is still gone. No need for surgery when a chiropractor is near. My niece had hers surgically removed but it came back again.

Comment from: Gaynor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

One morning I woke up and nearly fell over with pain. It was six months before I managed to get an MRI which showed I have a ganglion pushing on my sciatic nerve next to my spine. I was about to have an operation to have it removed and my surgeon fell ill. It was another month before I was able to see another surgeon. I was offered an injection. While considering my options, over a period of two weeks the pain in back has diminished by about 90%.After reading your website, I notice they can disappear. I pray that mine has.

Comment from: bella.mella, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

My wrists are a very weak point in my body; I had a ganglion cyst surgically removed from my right wrist at age 14 (20 years ago), leaving a 1-inch scar. I am a massage therapist and have now developed one in my left wrist. Very disappointing. The pain radiates up my arm and down through my fingers. I had not heard of simple aspiration as a possibility and am hopeful of such a solution this time around.

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that c...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?