Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Comment from: The Wolf, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

About two or three summers ago I noticed a pea sized lump on the top of my left knee. It has now grown to the size of a small marble and a slight soreness whenever I stand for long periods of time. I'm going Wednesday to have my doctor look at it and we'll decide on a course of action from there. As for the root cause, my mother has told me that these types of cysts are fairly prevalent on her side of the family. My grandfather had one on his shoulder, my uncle had one on his knee like mine, and my cousin has one on his tailbone.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was a waitress for many years.

Comment from: windingdown, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had a ganglion cyst on my inner wrist, I read much about how other fix theirs with heavy books slammed on it, but mine is inner wrist far too dainty to be slamming anything on it I wrapped it with a tight Velcro wrist wrap and kept poking and pressing hard on it. I finally took it off and it did look smaller, but one more final push with my thumb and I did feel an inner pop like thing. It was gone!

Comment from: Angela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I had a large ganglion cyst removed about 3 years ago from the top of my foot. The cyst returned and quickly returned to the size of a walnut in diameter. Recently the cyst was removed again and it had eaten through 25% of the primary tendon on the top of my foot. Do not under estimate that these cysts can do damage and consult your orthopedist.

Comment from: Lrpsk305, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My ganglion cyst on top of my foot was extremely painful. After an MRI the report said that the cyst was likely infected. Before I even took my antibiotics, the pain and bump subsided.

Comment from: ankle sprain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I just took an MRI and discovered I have a Ganglion cyst right above my heel towards the back near Achilles tendon. I believe it was caused by a severe ankle sprain two years ago. It does not really hurt unless I'm wearing heels. I'm using an ankle brace and it seems to work. Hope that it goes away since from what I am reading, the cyst returns easily. Doctor suggests giving it time and then perhaps excising it.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

Last Saturday morning, while putting on my socks and running shoes, on my left foot I noticed a lump on the top of my foot, where the foot and leg meet. I went to my doctor and he diagnosed it as a ganglion cyst. He said not to worry about it, unless it starts hurting. Yesterday I noticed one starting in the same spot on my right foot. I am an avid runner, and tend to tie my shoelaces really tight and re-tighten them throughout my runs I am wondering if this could be the cause/ trauma that brought the cysts out. My problem is that my running shoes fit differently now because the cysts are located right near where the top of the tongue of my shoe sits.

Comment from: Maggie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I'm 19 years old and I had a ganglion cyst on the top of my left hand that needed to be surgically removed due to pain and the fact that it was too hard to take out any other way. The surgery helped a lot, but four years later I now have a cyst on my inner wrist of the same hand. I'm going to an orthopedic on Thursday to see what I can do about this one because it affects my grip and hurts to do simple tasks.

Comment from: Remo uche, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I had a ganglion cyst on my right wrist joint, the doctor used a needle to drill out a sticky fluid and it was gone. About a year later I hit my left wrist on a car and a cyst appeared on it days after. I went to the same doctor for the same procedure but this time the lump reappeared days after the doctor drilled it out.

Comment from: kymmie, 45-54 Female Published: April 16

After 4yrs another knot has appeare d will I need surgery again

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?