Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have a cyst on my middle finger, top, large joint. I am seeing a hand specialist because my doctor is concerned that it may be in the joint and pushing out of the side.

Comment from: margarret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I believe it was caused by a fall since it became noticeable on the top of my foot shortly after. It did not cause pain for the first two months but is now very tender to touch and walk and wiggle my toes. Back to the doctor I go.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have developed one on the top of my right shoulder. It is painful and the pain and swelling increases when I exercise my shoulder muscles.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I wore a ring too tight for too many years!

Comment from: Becks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I am 27 and have had a persistent ganglion on the top of my left wrist since I was 18 years old. Recently I stopped taking birth control and my ganglion has disappeared. I started taking birth control when I was 18. This is the only thing that has changed about my lifestyle recently. Perhaps it is a coincidence but I have tried many things to make it disappear over the years and was considering surgery when it finally went away!

Comment from: Changingbeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My doctor says my cyst was caused by exercise such as yoga but after he drained it the cyst came back. When I talked to my yoga instructor he told me to raise my writs above my head and touch my fingers together quickly for two minutes everyday and that has worked. It went away after about three weeks!

Comment from: The Wolf, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

About two or three summers ago I noticed a pea sized lump on the top of my left knee. It has now grown to the size of a small marble and a slight soreness whenever I stand for long periods of time. I'm going Wednesday to have my doctor look at it and we'll decide on a course of action from there. As for the root cause, my mother has told me that these types of cysts are fairly prevalent on her side of the family. My grandfather had one on his shoulder, my uncle had one on his knee like mine, and my cousin has one on his tailbone.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was a waitress for many years.

Comment from: windingdown, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had a ganglion cyst on my inner wrist, I read much about how other fix theirs with heavy books slammed on it, but mine is inner wrist far too dainty to be slamming anything on it I wrapped it with a tight Velcro wrist wrap and kept poking and pressing hard on it. I finally took it off and it did look smaller, but one more final push with my thumb and I did feel an inner pop like thing. It was gone!

Comment from: Angela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I had a large ganglion cyst removed about 3 years ago from the top of my foot. The cyst returned and quickly returned to the size of a walnut in diameter. Recently the cyst was removed again and it had eaten through 25% of the primary tendon on the top of my foot. Do not under estimate that these cysts can do damage and consult your orthopedist.

Comment from: Lrpsk305, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My ganglion cyst on top of my foot was extremely painful. After an MRI the report said that the cyst was likely infected. Before I even took my antibiotics, the pain and bump subsided.

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that c...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?