Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Comment from: Okcupps, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I developed a ganglion cyst at the base of my thumb. It's from holding my iPad a certain way--the bottom of my iPad rests exactly where my cyst is.

Comment from: Generalbymarraige, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I began taking guitar lessons in the fifth grade and shortly afterward developed a ganglion cyst on the top of my left wrist. It was surgically removed when I was 10. At 18 another cyst developed on the top of my right wrist and again was surgically removed. When I was 33 the cyst on my left wrist returned and again I had it surgically removed. I often wear a wrist brace and find immobilizing relieves the pain for a while. I am considering another surgery.

Comment from: SanDiego4Lynn, 55-64 Female Published: February 21

My ganglion cyst is located at the base of my thumb on the palm side of my right hand. It was incurred as a result of a hard fall down just two steps of my stairs. As I fell, I put out my hand to try to catch myself, and it slammed hard against the railing. It is the size of a pea and it's painful when it's touched in any way.

Comment from: Sherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have had a cyst on my right wrist on the top. This has been here for about four months. I believe it happened when I was falling and caught myself putting my hands in front of me. It is very painful when doing certain things such as twisting a soda bottle, turning the handle opening a door. A friend of mine gave me a brace that I wear at night as it was so painful it would wake me at night if I happened to lay on it. I will have it checked by an orthopedic sports medicine doc. next month. Hope they can do something about the pain and it is really ugly.

Comment from: Felisha, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I've had cysts on the palm side of my wrists since I was around nine. I began playing volleyball when I was around eleven, and these interfere with that. I've had many cortisone shots since then, and I got the cyst on my left wrist removed in January of last year. Today, I went to the doctor because they've been bothering me, and I got another cortisone shot. I don't know how or what caused these, but they're painful.

Comment from: Flight Attendant, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a bunionectomy in 2008. Two years later because of swelling in the area it was discovered that the pin which had been placed in the right hallux was working its way out. I had surgery to remove the pin. The pin broke off during attempted removal. Within six months a lump formed at the same site. Because this lump was causing irritation as my shoes rubbed it and I could also feel slight pain at the site without shoes, I had surgery two days ago for removal of ganglion cyst and a small bone spur directly under the cyst.

Comment from: Sally, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have a ganglion cyst on my right ankle. It developed after I seriously sprained my ankle and couldn't walk for two weeks. It affects my flexibility, but overall, it barely impacts on my life.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I am 14 years old and a big gamer. I developed a cyst on the top of my left wrist, it wasn't painful. I saw my regular doctor and he confirmed the fact that it was a ganglion cyst. He told me it would go away within months, but it never did. It got way really small, basically unnoticeable. That was in 2008. I noticed another one on my right wrist, way bigger. In mid-2011. I noticed that while I'm trying to sleep, my fingers on my right hand twitch, and they don't respond as well as they used to while typing or playing Guitar Hero, like it's affecting my hand eye coordination. And the right cyst has also began to ache a couple of days ago.

Comment from: Aimee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I tripped and my foot gave way under me, causing an extreme bend of the ankle. For some weeks after, walking was difficult and the joint area on the outside of the foot was swollen for the good part of the year. Recently, the same thing happened and now it's as swollen as before. Hopefully it will recede again, but there is definitively a weakness there now, that I have to pay attention to when it comes to exercise etc. I've had no medical treatment for the ganglion cyst yet, but will drain it if there's no improvement.

Comment from: kedwards1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I first developed a ganglion cyst on the back of my right wrist when i was about 9 or 10 - I never fractured my wrist or did anything out of the ordinary, although I did start playing squash and tennis at about that age. I had it surgically removed when I was 11 - I still have the scar on my wrist! Unfortunately within a couple of months it had reappeared about half an inch further towards my fingers. I had it syringed when I was about 15, but again it was back within weeks. It disappeared for a while in my mid-twenties (for a couple of months) but then returned. I am now 36, and don't really notice it these days, unless someone points it out - it is very noticeable when my wrist is flexed. I have only ever met one other person who has a ganglion - my husband - his is in the same spot but smaller and his comes and goes.

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?