Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Comment from: Sally, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have a ganglion cyst on my right ankle. It developed after I seriously sprained my ankle and couldn't walk for two weeks. It affects my flexibility, but overall, it barely impacts on my life.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I am 14 years old and a big gamer. I developed a cyst on the top of my left wrist, it wasn't painful. I saw my regular doctor and he confirmed the fact that it was a ganglion cyst. He told me it would go away within months, but it never did. It got way really small, basically unnoticeable. That was in 2008. I noticed another one on my right wrist, way bigger. In mid-2011. I noticed that while I'm trying to sleep, my fingers on my right hand twitch, and they don't respond as well as they used to while typing or playing Guitar Hero, like it's affecting my hand eye coordination. And the right cyst has also began to ache a couple of days ago.

Comment from: Aimee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I tripped and my foot gave way under me, causing an extreme bend of the ankle. For some weeks after, walking was difficult and the joint area on the outside of the foot was swollen for the good part of the year. Recently, the same thing happened and now it's as swollen as before. Hopefully it will recede again, but there is definitively a weakness there now, that I have to pay attention to when it comes to exercise etc. I've had no medical treatment for the ganglion cyst yet, but will drain it if there's no improvement.

Comment from: kedwards1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I first developed a ganglion cyst on the back of my right wrist when i was about 9 or 10 - I never fractured my wrist or did anything out of the ordinary, although I did start playing squash and tennis at about that age. I had it surgically removed when I was 11 - I still have the scar on my wrist! Unfortunately within a couple of months it had reappeared about half an inch further towards my fingers. I had it syringed when I was about 15, but again it was back within weeks. It disappeared for a while in my mid-twenties (for a couple of months) but then returned. I am now 36, and don't really notice it these days, unless someone points it out - it is very noticeable when my wrist is flexed. I have only ever met one other person who has a ganglion - my husband - his is in the same spot but smaller and his comes and goes.

Comment from: Bijoux, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

My husband developed a huge ganglion cyst from playing video games. It never really caused problems, and pretty much disappeared after he stopped playing the game.

Comment from: Jackson, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I have a Cyst on top of my left wrist. It developed after a summer of running a chainsaw everyday.

Comment from: frustrated limper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I developed a ganglion cyst on the outside top of my left foot after I slipped on a walkway and my foot smacked into an ice bank.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I had a hard painful lump on the side of the top of my foot for months. The doctor told me it was a ganglion cyst and that aspirating is not effective, but that rather than surgery, I could apply hard pressure on it to make it rupture under the skin (with the body absorbing the material). I did that off and on for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden as I pressed on it, I could feel it collapse under the skin. Gone. Now I feel another one right next to where it was.

Comment from: RECS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

When I was sixteen I got a ganglion on my left wrist, top. They tried taking aspirating it and it came back was painful, so they removed it surgically. Then when I was eighteen, and doing pushups in PT, my right wrist went out on me, and there it was a ganglion cyst, that one went away for a little while until I was pitching slow pitch softball, I would stand in a doorway and pop it myself. Until it finally a couple of years later came back very painful and wouldn't go away, I've had to have three surgeries for that one.

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?