Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Comment from: Bijoux, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

My husband developed a huge ganglion cyst from playing video games. It never really caused problems, and pretty much disappeared after he stopped playing the game.

Comment from: Jackson, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I have a Cyst on top of my left wrist. It developed after a summer of running a chainsaw everyday.

Comment from: frustrated limper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I developed a ganglion cyst on the outside top of my left foot after I slipped on a walkway and my foot smacked into an ice bank.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I had a hard painful lump on the side of the top of my foot for months. The doctor told me it was a ganglion cyst and that aspirating is not effective, but that rather than surgery, I could apply hard pressure on it to make it rupture under the skin (with the body absorbing the material). I did that off and on for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden as I pressed on it, I could feel it collapse under the skin. Gone. Now I feel another one right next to where it was.

Comment from: RECS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

When I was sixteen I got a ganglion on my left wrist, top. They tried taking aspirating it and it came back was painful, so they removed it surgically. Then when I was eighteen, and doing pushups in PT, my right wrist went out on me, and there it was a ganglion cyst, that one went away for a little while until I was pitching slow pitch softball, I would stand in a doorway and pop it myself. Until it finally a couple of years later came back very painful and wouldn't go away, I've had to have three surgeries for that one.

Comment from: ferde, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I developed the Ganglion cyst after I fractured my wrist in June. The cyst is rather large and painful. I was told by my doctor that it could go away on its own but I still have it.

Comment from: danella, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I've had a ganglion cyst for 11 years, on the wrist of my left hand. It looks like a small bump, but when i bend my wrist back, the lump looks much bigger, about .8 inches long. I'm skinny, so you can see it in my thin wrist. I was 16 when I first noticed it, my doctor said as long as it doesn't hurt it should not be a problem. She did mention the "bible" method, what they used to do in the old days. No idea what caused it, I'm very active but not left handed. It doesn't bother me. It looks weird when I bend my wrist but I've grown fond of my bible cyst!

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I developed a ganglion cyst after I fractured my wrist.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I recently bought an inflatable kayak. I was rowing where the Niagara River flows into Lake Ontario. Going out was fine, coming back in was almost too much. I noticed a ganglion cyst at the base of my ring finger on the palm side shortly after. I believe it was the overuse from the rowing.

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?