Viewer Comments: Ganglion Cyst - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Causes

What was the cause of your ganglion cyst?

Comment from: Cyst Sister, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had a ganglion cyst on my hand a few years ago, and it came back last month. I found that wrapping the hand in an Ace bandage helped to reduce the pain, and in each case, the cyst disappeared in a few days also. The bandage helped me to keep from over-flexing the joint, and I think that the steady pressure pushed the fluid from the cyst. I now have a large cyst on my ankle and I'll try the same. Ace to the rescue!

Comment from: houseoftin, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

I am an RN and have cared for infants for 28 years. I have had a ganglion cyst on the top of my left wrist for 2 years. Yesterday I discovered a new one the palm side of my right wrist. They are both painful for 3-4 days then the pain subsides. Unfortunately not both at the same time so I always have pain. I attribute these cysts to tissue breakdown in my wrists from 28 years of pulling diaper tabs from changing diapers 1- 24 times per day! Application of heat does help.

Comment from: Tennis Tess, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have developed a very small swelling hardly noticeable between my index finger and middle finger exactly below the knuckle. I started playing tennis about 4 months ago and recently played for an hour and a half - nothing heavy, but after an hour of the game, I could hardly drive from the excruciating pain in my handle at the point mentioned and then referred pain to other digits and to my elbow/up the arm. I self medicated with anti-inflammatory for 4 days 3x day and it has helped dramatically, but today is day 9 and I am still in pain.

Comment from: SusieK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have a ganglion on the top of my left foot. Surgery was preformed, but it has returned in all it's glory.

Comment from: marco, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I noticed a bump on my right wrist. It was small at first, but as the days went by it grew and became very painful. I went to see my GP who diagnosed it as a ganglion cyst.

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have a cyst on my middle finger, top, large joint. I am seeing a hand specialist because my doctor is concerned that it may be in the joint and pushing out of the side.

Comment from: margarret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I believe it was caused by a fall since it became noticeable on the top of my foot shortly after. It did not cause pain for the first two months but is now very tender to touch and walk and wiggle my toes. Back to the doctor I go.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have developed one on the top of my right shoulder. It is painful and the pain and swelling increases when I exercise my shoulder muscles.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I wore a ring too tight for too many years!

Comment from: Becks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I am 27 and have had a persistent ganglion on the top of my left wrist since I was 18 years old. Recently I stopped taking birth control and my ganglion has disappeared. I started taking birth control when I was 18. This is the only thing that has changed about my lifestyle recently. Perhaps it is a coincidence but I have tried many things to make it disappear over the years and was considering surgery when it finally went away!

Comment from: Changingbeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My doctor says my cyst was caused by exercise such as yoga but after he drained it the cyst came back. When I talked to my yoga instructor he told me to raise my writs above my head and touch my fingers together quickly for two minutes everyday and that has worked. It went away after about three weeks!

Must Read Articles Related to Ganglion Cyst

Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ganglion Cyst:

Ganglion Cyst - Treatment

Please describe the treatment for your ganglion cyst.

Ganglion Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your ganglion cyst?

Ganglion Cyst - Diagnosis

How was your ganglion cyst diagnosed?