The best weapon against gangrene is prevention.
- Keep wounds clean and sterile by cleaning all wounds
thoroughly with antiseptic solution.
- Watch for signs of infection, such as pus, redness,
swelling, or unusual pain.
- Consult a health-care provider if any wound becomes
- People with diabetes should control their blood-sugar
levels with proper medication.
- Education about proper foot care is vital for people with diabetes. They should routinely examine their feet for any signs of injury or change in skin color. Any small injury should be immediately cared for. They should keep their nails trimmed and wear comfortable well-fitting shoes.
Must Read Articles Related to Gangrene
Diabetic Foot Care
Read about diabetic foot care. Causes of foot problems in people with diabetes include footwear, nerve damage, poor circulation, trauma, infections, and smoking...learn more >>
Peripheral Vascular Disease
The circulatory system consists of 2 types of blood vessels: arteries and veins. These are tubular structures that carry the blood throughout the body.learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gangrene: