Viewer Comments: Gastritis - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your gastritis?

Comment from: Shany, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I developed acute gastritis from taking ibuprofen, 1200 mg a day, usually on an empty stomach, for back pain for the last 2 years. Dumb, I know. I am a 55 year-old female, I drink sometimes, and am a smoker. One evening, with no prior symptoms, I developed extreme burning pain in my upper abdomen that seemed to burn through to my back. It was the worst at night. The next day, since I couldn't get a doctor's appointment right away, I went to the drugstore and talked to the pharmacist, who suggested omeprazole, 40 mg., every morning for 14 days. I started those that day, and embarked on a 2-day fast, cutting out all alcohol, caffeine and ibuprofen. I switched to Tylenol or 1/2 Vicodin for the back pain. The stomach pain went away after two days, and I added antacid to the mix, which helped when I started adding foods like white rice, broth, clear soups, wheat toast and yogurt back into my diet. After ten days of that diet, I am back to somewhat normal, with residual back and rib pain that goes away with 1/2 Vicodin tab two or three times a day. Have an appt with the doctor to figure out what the residual back pain is about, but I can eat just about anything now, and am very grateful!

Related Reading: ibuprofen | omeprazole

Comment from: Goodforyou, 19-24 (Patient) Published: August 16

To manage gastritis, I have been eating smaller portions, taking a probiotic, and not eating late. Also, I am not eating as much spicy foods and greasy foods. And NO MILK.

Comment from: cedric, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

Since being diagnosed with gastritis in May, I have had acupuncture to reduce the inflammation which has been very successful.

Comment from: Sandra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

The treatment for gastritis that has been effective for me is by chewing magnesium tablets and avoiding carbonated drinks, alcohol and spicy foods. Also drinking warm water in the morning helps.

Comment from: gbs, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

Prilosec (Omeprazole) which is available OTC has been effective for me. Zantac is also very good and effective for me. Exercise/ reducing weight also gives long term relief.

Comment from: Jimbeam, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

Protonix works well. I recomend this but you must be prescribed the medicine by a doctor.

Comment from: Rosalind, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 18

An anti-inflammatory medication prescribed for muscle strain quickly caused me severe gastritis.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastritis

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or inflammati...learn more >>
Endoscopy
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your gastritis?

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.