Viewer Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Rlc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was very ill for over a year, w/ diarrhea, vomiting, upper and lower stomach pain and dizziness at times. Blood work was taken so many times, which revealed nothing. I was sent to a university teaching hospital where they finally found out what was wrong (after two colon tests, two endoscopes, and one sigmoid).

Comment from: Vienna21oo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

Last August I awoke in the night with terrible upper abdominal pains, acute burning, which lasted for hours. I had an attack again later that week. The doctor examined me and said that my stomach had a lot of "activity" hence the constant gurgling noises in my stomach. He gave me an acid reducing seven-day course of tablets.

Comment from: 13-18 Female Published: April 26

When I had gastritis, I had a lot of very loud, deep belching, a loss of appetite and sometimes nausea.

Comment from: LongJourney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have suffered from severe gastritis caused by heliobacter pylori. After two courses of treatment I was told I was cured but then presented with Lymphoma of the mesenteric nodes. I am currently undergoing chemo and treatments for this. I am now experiencing gastritis symptoms again and I suspect a re-infection of heliobacter pylori.

Comment from: Reiki girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

i One night I was watching TV & all of a sudden my stomach just started churning. Then the bloating started. I looked like I was 6 months pregnant. Then the vomiting started & wouldn't stop. I started passing out. I also had diarrhea. After passing out 4 or 5 times, my husband call 911. At the hospital they just gave me something to settle my stomach & sent me home. One month later, same exact symptoms. This time, when I'd pass out, my husband had a hard time getting me to come around. The vomiting just wouldn't stop. So off to the hospital we went. This time, I had to have my appendix out. When I went back to see my DR. he sent me to a surgeon. He put the scope down my throat & found out I had a hiatal hernia, severe gastritis, & a bleeding ulcer.

Comment from: wwwmuscle, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I have been over eating for years, but until recently at 41 I didn't get chronic gastritis. I used to exercise regularly and gave that up for work and injury reasons. I had an endoscopy and everything was ok as far as having no ulcers. As luck would have it, shortly after I got food poisoning and ended up in the hospital. My eating options are limited. So far the only good things I seem to have no problems with are whole wheat pasta, potatoes, carrots, goat milk; small portions only. I have been able to get off the antacids but still need medication at night otherwise the reflux really gives me a problem and at times can trigger asthma and stress attacks when I wake up all of a sudden in the middle of the night. I'm trying rice gruel / rice water now, licorice seems to strong for me at this moment. I am determined to heal this problem because I hate asthma medicine and acid reflux of course. In 2 weeks at my next doctor's appointment I will as for the colonoscopy.

Comment from: Luz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I'm a 53 years old female and I have been suffering with digestive problems, like severe constipation all my life. I have tried diets, herbal medicines and many prescribed medicines, but never finding real answers. In the past 10 years and after a car accident that left me with several herniated disc, (neck and lower back) I have been given prescription drugs to help with pain and inflammation. I have been unable to tolerate these medications because I get strange reactions, like severe head ache, stomach pain, and bleeding. Foods also began to be a problem, like nuts, salads, chocolate, raw vegetables. Foods seem to stay in my stomach for ever. I have seen many specialists and they all treated me like I was crazy. Last year I had stomach surgery to remove diverticulitis in the colon. I have finally been diagnosed with chemical gastritis and intolerance to gluten. This means that all these years I have been suffering because the gluten in foods constipates me, and the chemicals in most medicines even causes gastritis in my esophagus and stomach.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastritis

Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding (GI)
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or infla...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with gastritis?

Gastritis - Causes

If known, what caused your case of gastritis?

Gastritis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your gastritis?