Viewer Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Reiki girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

i One night I was watching TV & all of a sudden my stomach just started churning. Then the bloating started. I looked like I was 6 months pregnant. Then the vomiting started & wouldn't stop. I started passing out. I also had diarrhea. After passing out 4 or 5 times, my husband call 911. At the hospital they just gave me something to settle my stomach & sent me home. One month later, same exact symptoms. This time, when I'd pass out, my husband had a hard time getting me to come around. The vomiting just wouldn't stop. So off to the hospital we went. This time, I had to have my appendix out. When I went back to see my DR. he sent me to a surgeon. He put the scope down my throat & found out I had a hiatal hernia, severe gastritis, & a bleeding ulcer.

Comment from: wwwmuscle, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I have been over eating for years, but until recently at 41 I didn't get chronic gastritis. I used to exercise regularly and gave that up for work and injury reasons. I had an endoscopy and everything was ok as far as having no ulcers. As luck would have it, shortly after I got food poisoning and ended up in the hospital. My eating options are limited. So far the only good things I seem to have no problems with are whole wheat pasta, potatoes, carrots, goat milk; small portions only. I have been able to get off the antacids but still need medication at night otherwise the reflux really gives me a problem and at times can trigger asthma and stress attacks when I wake up all of a sudden in the middle of the night. I'm trying rice gruel / rice water now, licorice seems to strong for me at this moment. I am determined to heal this problem because I hate asthma medicine and acid reflux of course. In 2 weeks at my next doctor's appointment I will as for the colonoscopy.

Comment from: Luz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I'm a 53 years old female and I have been suffering with digestive problems, like severe constipation all my life. I have tried diets, herbal medicines and many prescribed medicines, but never finding real answers. In the past 10 years and after a car accident that left me with several herniated disc, (neck and lower back) I have been given prescription drugs to help with pain and inflammation. I have been unable to tolerate these medications because I get strange reactions, like severe head ache, stomach pain, and bleeding. Foods also began to be a problem, like nuts, salads, chocolate, raw vegetables. Foods seem to stay in my stomach for ever. I have seen many specialists and they all treated me like I was crazy. Last year I had stomach surgery to remove diverticulitis in the colon. I have finally been diagnosed with chemical gastritis and intolerance to gluten. This means that all these years I have been suffering because the gluten in foods constipates me, and the chemicals in most medicines even causes gastritis in my esophagus and stomach.

Comment from: macnlu, 45-54 Female Published: December 18

I was driving home from work one day and suddenly out of nowhere had to vomit. I managed to make it home and when I did vomit it was bloody. I called my Dr. who had me come in and we discussed my sudden symptoms of nausea, vomiting, pain in my chest and back starting on my right side and going around my back to the left, total loss of appetite. At first it was thought to be Gall bladder disease. I had an ultrasound which did suggest Gall bladder disease. But my doctor suggested I have and endoscopy before he proceeded with treatment.

Comment from: Vicki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

For me, gastritis has given me pain in the mid-abdomen (under my rib cage) on and off for a week. The pain exists more than it doesn't exist. I also have diarrhea, which is not unusual in color. Sometimes, eating seems to make it feel better for a short period of time, then the pain returns. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat. I had a gall bladder ultrasound, which turned out to be negative.

Comment from: rsp, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I had chest pressure in the middle and right side of my chest that got worse as the day went on. In the morning my pressure was mild but got more intense as the day went on. After two weeks I began to get pain in my upper right back under my shoulder blade. I thought my pressure was caused by gall stones but found out after testing that I had gastritis. Now I am taking Nexium. It seems to help.

Comment from: Nelagtap, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

A year ago last August I developed chronic nausea and although a "big eater" at 59 yrs old and weighing in at 190 lbs. I eventually only drank ginger ale and ate very little. I lost weight without trying, which was a good thing. I had an endoscopy in Dec 2008 and was told I had gastritis and that there was "no treatment"... I also had a colonoscopy in March 2009 and had two pre-malignant polyps removed. After that "cleansing" experience I felt great. My nausea returned about 3 months later and I am living with it. Also I get a lot of anxiety and my right side is sore and painful and I hurt "into my back" as described. I am just living with it and take Phenergan in case it gets so bad I can't eat. I am at 170 lbs now and would rather not lose any more. My abdomen stays bloated-looking a lot too. Thanks

Must Read Articles Related to Gastritis

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or inflammati...learn more >>
Endoscopy
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your gastritis?

Gastritis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your gastritis?