Viewer Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: macnlu, 45-54 Female Published: December 18

I was driving home from work one day and suddenly out of nowhere had to vomit. I managed to make it home and when I did vomit it was bloody. I called my Dr. who had me come in and we discussed my sudden symptoms of nausea, vomiting, pain in my chest and back starting on my right side and going around my back to the left, total loss of appetite. At first it was thought to be Gall bladder disease. I had an ultrasound which did suggest Gall bladder disease. But my doctor suggested I have and endoscopy before he proceeded with treatment.

Comment from: Vicki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

For me, gastritis has given me pain in the mid-abdomen (under my rib cage) on and off for a week. The pain exists more than it doesn't exist. I also have diarrhea, which is not unusual in color. Sometimes, eating seems to make it feel better for a short period of time, then the pain returns. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat. I had a gall bladder ultrasound, which turned out to be negative.

Comment from: rsp, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I had chest pressure in the middle and right side of my chest that got worse as the day went on. In the morning my pressure was mild but got more intense as the day went on. After two weeks I began to get pain in my upper right back under my shoulder blade. I thought my pressure was caused by gall stones but found out after testing that I had gastritis. Now I am taking Nexium. It seems to help.

Comment from: Nelagtap, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

A year ago last August I developed chronic nausea and although a "big eater" at 59 yrs old and weighing in at 190 lbs. I eventually only drank ginger ale and ate very little. I lost weight without trying, which was a good thing. I had an endoscopy in Dec 2008 and was told I had gastritis and that there was "no treatment"... I also had a colonoscopy in March 2009 and had two pre-malignant polyps removed. After that "cleansing" experience I felt great. My nausea returned about 3 months later and I am living with it. Also I get a lot of anxiety and my right side is sore and painful and I hurt "into my back" as described. I am just living with it and take Phenergan in case it gets so bad I can't eat. I am at 170 lbs now and would rather not lose any more. My abdomen stays bloated-looking a lot too. Thanks

Comment from: angelkat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I drank heavily last year and then I decided to stop. I couldn't get out of my bed because I was in so much pain. I didn't know what to do at the time and but luckily, my roommate gave me an antacid that brought me a lot of relief. I started drinking again and I felt the same thing like before, and now I'm developing gastritis from too much drinking.

Comment from: Princess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with erosive gastritis May 2008. The doctor prescribed Protonix, then Prevacid, then Aciphex, and these meds made my symptoms worse such as diarrhea, chest pain, acid reflux and gagging. The burning in my stomach comes and goes. I need to go back and see the GI doc to see if my gastritis has worsened. I am sure it has.

Comment from: sampagui, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with severe gastritis before - I was in the hospital and stayed for 1 week before they were able to diagnose it. Severe stress brought back my gastritis. The pain's intense and in a second it rises up to my head, throbbing like it was going to explode. Used to be just nighttime attacks. Now, the moment I wake up the pain and headache comes. I'm now on Nexium, Buscofan, Maalox and Tylenol for my headache(if it comes). I seem to be feeling better but the abdominal pain still does come every now and then.I had to be on Nexium and Maalox for 1 month.

Comment from: bloated, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I think I had this bloating for several weeks before I even realized what it was...not until acid reflux got bad did I try to do anything about it. When I experienced chest and back pain and pain in my left shoulder, I went to ER, which ruled out heart problems and sent me home (also had a normal stress test). I ended up in ER three days later with bloating to the point of real pressure, plus burning. They did an abdominal CAT scan with contrast which found only a small hiatal hernia. They diagnosed gastritis (though not clear that there's no ulcer) and prescribed protonix to reduce acid and carafate to coat the lining and promote healing. 24 hours later I felt much better, but this morning after eating, I felt symptoms all over again, perhaps not as severe as before. I have to give the medications a few days and am hoping hard. Meanwhile, the doctor referred me for an endoscopy and a blood test for h. pylori. Gastroenterologist's first opening is in nearly 3 weeks; I'll get the blood test in two days, on Monday.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastritis

Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding (GI)
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or infla...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with gastritis?

Gastritis - Causes

If known, what caused your case of gastritis?

Gastritis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your gastritis?