Viewer Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: May, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I have had severe stomach and chest pain that wakes me up at night, even when I sleep propped up and have eaten very little during the day. These episodes last for hours, with nausea and sometimes vomiting, and though I down antacid pills with a liquid antacid, it takes a while for them to help so the pain goes from intolerable to being able to doze. The next day, it continues with pain when I walk, bend down, or eat. Triggers for me are coffee, wine, and Motrin, and wearing a bra that is too tight! I have avoided spicy and fatty foods for years. My stomach sounds like a chemistry set, with gurgles and dripping sounds, and I lam bloated and look about 4 months pregnant. I am hopeful that a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) prescribed by my physician will help. I avoid triggers, and keep walking or moving; it helps psychologically!

Comment from: Leslee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I get regular flare ups of gastritis, usually caused by alcohol, coffee or sometimes medications. I start to vomit uncontrollably for 24/48 hours. I get burning, gnawing pain in upper stomach and into back. I take Nexium (esomeprazole) every day, twice a day with flare up and anti-nausea meds. I seem to get a really bad flare up at least every month, but mild flares week to week. This makes me so miserable, as after a bad attack it can take me a week to recover.

Comment from: Gabby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Recently I had an EGD and was told I had gastritis (which I had already figured out for myself). Doctor did not seem worried, but he is not the one who feels like constantly needing to belch, vomit, or just give up on food, period. My appetite is near nonexistent (which is a blessing in disguise) and when I do eat it doesn't take much to make me feel full and bloated. A lot of times I will even feel dizzy and light headed after eating, I thought that was weird until I read more about gastritis and found that sometimes that can happen. I am tired of pain in my stomach and being told it is nothing to worry about. I have high markers for several autoimmune disorders, stay stressed, and take medications that irritate my stomach. I used to take aspirin like candy, and I am around someone who has signs of H. pylori, all the time. I have got to get this fixed!

Comment from: Buffy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was diagnosed with H pylori 5 years ago and it was treated successfully with antibiotics, but it has come back again and I am taking anti B's again. The first time it gave me a duodenal ulcer, this time I have gastritis because I am told it has developed lower down in the stomach. My symptoms are abdominal pain which moves around, but the predominant symptoms are a burning and acute gnawing feeling in the stomach, nausea and loss of appetite. I have an idea that stress could be a trigger for H Pylori because it has emerged both times after I have been under considerable stress. I am told that an Alkaline diet is the best way to combat the bacteria - in other words don't give it the food it likes and thrives on. I am seriously reviewing my diet at the moment. A list of Alkaline and Acid foods can be found on the net. It has been a very useful guide for me and I am hoping it will help in the battle to eradicate this horrible disease and will hopefully prevent it developing into cancer.

Comment from: Lizzie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have pain in my upper left stomach and between the shoulder blades. I also have heaviness in my chest after eating and have recently felt as if my food was stuck in my throat. I had an upper endoscopy performed and was told I had a mild gastritis and that that could be what was causing these symptoms.

Comment from: Fred, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I'm a 69 year old male. I have never had serious problems concerning acid reflux. Recently I began spitting up bright red blood. The incidents were sporadic and cleared up after a short time. I spit up blood for nine consecutive days and on two occasions there was a fair amount of bleeding. There was no visible blood in my urine or stools and no vomiting or other discomfort. After nine days I had no further problems. Four days after experiencing no problems I had an endoscopy and was diagnosed as having Gastritis and a Hiatial Hernia. I was prescribed Prevacid. The source of my bleeding was never really defined. Previously I drank one cup of coffee daily. I don't smoke and drink only on occasion, never to excess.

Comment from: Swelp, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I found, all of a sudden that I was having pain after a snack, which showed signs of a Heart Attack. I was able sometimes to bring up a very thick substance, never food, which after a while would ease the situation. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis which means that I have to take repeated painkillers, etc. I am 67 years of age.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastritis

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding (GI)
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or infla...learn more >>
Endoscopy
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with gastritis?

Gastritis - Causes

If known, what caused your case of gastritis?

Gastritis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your gastritis?