Viewer Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Buffy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was diagnosed with H pylori 5 years ago and it was treated successfully with antibiotics, but it has come back again and I am taking anti B's again. The first time it gave me a duodenal ulcer, this time I have gastritis because I am told it has developed lower down in the stomach. My symptoms are abdominal pain which moves around, but the predominant symptoms are a burning and acute gnawing feeling in the stomach, nausea and loss of appetite. I have an idea that stress could be a trigger for H Pylori because it has emerged both times after I have been under considerable stress. I am told that an Alkaline diet is the best way to combat the bacteria - in other words don't give it the food it likes and thrives on. I am seriously reviewing my diet at the moment. A list of Alkaline and Acid foods can be found on the net. It has been a very useful guide for me and I am hoping it will help in the battle to eradicate this horrible disease and will hopefully prevent it developing into cancer.

Comment from: Lizzie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have pain in my upper left stomach and between the shoulder blades. I also have heaviness in my chest after eating and have recently felt as if my food was stuck in my throat. I had an upper endoscopy performed and was told I had a mild gastritis and that that could be what was causing these symptoms.

Comment from: Fred, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I'm a 69 year old male. I have never had serious problems concerning acid reflux. Recently I began spitting up bright red blood. The incidents were sporadic and cleared up after a short time. I spit up blood for nine consecutive days and on two occasions there was a fair amount of bleeding. There was no visible blood in my urine or stools and no vomiting or other discomfort. After nine days I had no further problems. Four days after experiencing no problems I had an endoscopy and was diagnosed as having Gastritis and a Hiatial Hernia. I was prescribed Prevacid. The source of my bleeding was never really defined. Previously I drank one cup of coffee daily. I don't smoke and drink only on occasion, never to excess.

Comment from: Swelp, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I found, all of a sudden that I was having pain after a snack, which showed signs of a Heart Attack. I was able sometimes to bring up a very thick substance, never food, which after a while would ease the situation. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis which means that I have to take repeated painkillers, etc. I am 67 years of age.

Comment from: Rlc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was very ill for over a year, w/ diarrhea, vomiting, upper and lower stomach pain and dizziness at times. Blood work was taken so many times, which revealed nothing. I was sent to a university teaching hospital where they finally found out what was wrong (after two colon tests, two endoscopes, and one sigmoid).

Comment from: Vienna21oo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

Last August I awoke in the night with terrible upper abdominal pains, acute burning, which lasted for hours. I had an attack again later that week. The doctor examined me and said that my stomach had a lot of "activity" hence the constant gurgling noises in my stomach. He gave me an acid reducing seven-day course of tablets.

Comment from: 13-18 Female Published: April 26

When I had gastritis, I had a lot of very loud, deep belching, a loss of appetite and sometimes nausea.

Comment from: LongJourney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have suffered from severe gastritis caused by heliobacter pylori. After two courses of treatment I was told I was cured but then presented with Lymphoma of the mesenteric nodes. I am currently undergoing chemo and treatments for this. I am now experiencing gastritis symptoms again and I suspect a re-infection of heliobacter pylori.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastritis

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or inflammati...learn more >>
Endoscopy
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your gastritis?

Gastritis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your gastritis?