Viewer Comments: Gastritis - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Causes

If known, what caused your case of gastritis?

Comment from: Anne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I had a big dinner at the restaurant and I started to feel bad a few minutes after my dinner. My stomach was big and full of gas. I started to vomit at home which was helpful. Also, my lower back was painful. I thought about possible causes (coffee and Advil/NSAIDs medications) and changed my diet. I started to feel much better within a few days. Oatmeal was helpful and green tea. Also, fasting for four days is good too. Chamomile tea and golden seal powder seem to be helpful.

Comment from: Sussi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

Any high acid food or alcohol will cause an acute flare of gastritis. I am just getting over one that caused high fever for two days. Lemon or fresh pineapple is a killer. I drink warm water with a little baking soda in it and it helps a lot, but be aware it raises the blood pressure. Avocado is a great food when you are healing.

Comment from: Adrienne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed with gastritis when I was 27. I believe that stress caused this problem. No one else in my family has stomach problems. My doctor said my insurance would not cover medication because I was too young. It took me 8 years to finally get on medication, and I didn't realize how bad I felt until I did. If I have alcohol, even one or 2 drinks I get a flare up. Fatty foods make me feel like I am going to vomit, spicy foods make my stomach feel like it is on fire, and sugary foods make me feel bloated. So basically if I want to feel normal I can only eat some fruits, vegetables, and other bland foods. Otherwise I feel like I am going to die.

Comment from: ANGIE, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I finally went to the emergency room yesterday after dealing with the pain for a few months. I was given a couple of medicines and told that I have stomach gastritis disease. I am having pain in my stomach like cramps and it is worse at night. It is waking me up at 12 and I am not being able to go back to sleep for a few hours. Pain goes straight to my back and that just makes it worse. Nothing helps! I had gastric sleeve surgery in 2014 so I don't have much stomach left to get an infection in! I sure hope the appointment I have next week tells me something so I can rest a little better.

Comment from: mony3214, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have severe pain in upper abdomen with pressure in chest also. The lump in center of chest is like gumball sized, was told it's the xiphoid process. I don't think so, it feels like hernia. Five scopes later I still don't feel any better. I am taking Carafate, Zofran, heartburn medicines, etc., and nothing helps/works. I have been dealing with this gastritis for over a year now. I am throwing up daily. Neck and lymph nodes in neck are swollen. It is hard to eat, drink, swallow, and sleep. I have severe pain in ribs both sides, and lost 60 pounds in a year. I feel like I am dying. I can't stand straight up or sit straight up. Fetal position makes it worse, feels like a blockage somewhere but they say no. I have no infections either or cancer.

Comment from: evie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have severe pain in the upper chest area, and pressure like a heart attack. Most medications made my gastritis worse.

Comment from: Fancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I get horrible gas when I drink coffee.

Comment from: Our Gal Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I believe it was the sorbitol in the diet bars I've been eating that irritated me. Also I drink diet drinks to belch or bring up gas in me because I have gerd or acid reflux disease. I better bring this up with my doctor for my next visit and see what he says.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastritis

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding (GI)
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or infla...learn more >>
Endoscopy
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis:

Gastritis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with gastritis?

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Gastritis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your gastritis?