Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

...
Comment from: Donnerdo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

My gastroenteritis started at 5 am on a Tuesday and ended 4 am the following Wednesday. I mostly had severe vomiting and a low grade fever with diarrhea. I could not hold any liquids and Emetrol did not help the nausea at all. Worst stuff I have had in years! Today, after the worst is over, I am very weak and not at all hungry. I am mostly just drinking tea and broth.

Comment from: HulaGirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

My symptoms of gastroenteritis lasted about 3 days. I was in so much pain that I went to the hospital and they gave me an IV drip of morphine and nausea medicines. I thought I was dying, the abdominal pain was the worst I have had in my life. And the diarrhea was nonstop. Then as fast as it came on it was gone; amazing!

Comment from: j Thomas, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

My gastroenteritis (stomach flu) began at about 6 this morning. I had a sudden flushed feeling and almost an uneasy hot flash sensation. I went to the toilet to have a bowel movement and made it to just above the toilet and projectile vomited in the waste paper basket. From then on I couldn't stop, I would vomit and have diarrhea and go back to the bed feeling better for only a moment. Then the horrible nausea started with the intense cramping and it just would repeat until I was so weak from dehydration that I was sapped of energy walking to the bathroom. The sweating just before vomiting was so unpleasant. I soaked my shirt and my hair in sweat. It's now almost 9 pm and I am not as nauseous and can keep fluids down but haven't tried to eat anything. I haven't slept because the fever and body aches are keeping me awake. I pity anyone who has this bug.

Comment from: Tummy Flu Victim, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

My gastroenteritis (stomach flu) lasted a week. After four days of vomiting and having diarrhea, I had to go to the emergency room (ER) for fluid replacement and anti-nausea medicine was administered intravenously at that time. I also came home with a prescription for sublingual anti-nausea medicine and pretty much just ate small amounts of banana and dry toast for the next few days. Doctor did not want me to take anti-diarrheal medicine as he said it should run its course (no pun intended), and it did after three more days (one week total).

Comment from: cat100, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I woke up at 2:30 am drooling and thinking (not feeling nauseous) that I needed to vomit. I then vomited for 3 hours until I dry heaved. About 2 1/2 hours into the vomiting, I started having explosive, watery, diarrhea. The diarrhea was so bad that I had to sit on the toilet with a trash can in my lap to vomit in. This stomach flu is vile. This is day 5 and while the vomiting and diarrhea have stopped, I can only eat a little at a time and then feel sick again almost immediately. I have had leg cramps, a horrible headache, ringing ears, and backache. My energy level is nil. My husband's bout started about a day and half before mine and he is still not feeling well. The doctor gave him codeine cough syrup to slow his diarrhea symptoms since he did not want him to take something to stop the course of the illness.

Comment from: krisa329, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

It is over 9 days in our house now with gastroenteritis; myself, my husband and 2 of my children. We have had diarrhea a few times each day. No vomiting, just a nauseous stomach, and no fever. I hope this goes away soon.

Comment from: momo, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 13

The gastroenteritis, stomach flu, is something that one of my relatives is affected with for two days now and has been marked with problems like diarrhea, fever, vomiting and cramps. Even though the doctor gave her medications, she cannot hold her 'thing' after bowel movements and bespatters and stains her pants. Her mother had to wash everything and she has to use diapers for her. She's more ten years old now so it's not funny.

Comment from: Sickotired, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I have been feeling nauseous for nearly three weeks. However, the unusual symptom in my case is itchiness. More unusual is tinnitus. Doctor gave me something for hay fever! In all honesty, not being able to eat without puking up is not a symptom of hay fever. I think it is gastroenteritis. Nobody to turn to for help, I am feeling very weak and low.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Food Poisoning
Food Poisoning Food poisoning is caused by learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis - Medications

What medications (OTC or prescription) were effective in treating your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?