Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

...
Comment from: TwilightSky, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

Currently on my 3rd day. First time experiencing this. I immediately thought I was dying. I lost so much water, I couldn't believe it. Doctors at the hospital tried lots of things to help me, but I think I have a tolerance for pain meds. I'm on Zofran right now, and it's the only thing keeping the vomiting and diarrhea at bay.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am not feeling well and my abdomen has been cramping badly for a day. I thought it was a bladder infection, but before I could get the results, I was hit extremely hard. I called the medics to take me to the hospital where I was diagnosed with gastroenteritis. I was given IV of saline, morphine for pain and antibiotics (Zofran and Cipro). I was admitted to the hospital overnight and by the next afternoon I was ready to go home.

Related Reading: morphine

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I am into the third day with little or no relief of the symptoms.

Comment from: Hannah19uk, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

On my 3 day with gastroenteritis. I must say the stomach cramps are awful. I've been through some things in life that have been hard and painful and this is very similar.

Comment from: Max the body, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I had gastroenteritis for three days. I'm in my 40s and generally healthy. I found plenty of sleep and Gatorade helped greatly. I had trouble keeping food down so I just had chicken noodle soup and lots of crisp bread and toast.

Comment from: Hopeful, 13-18 Female Published: September 13

I woke up this morning with my stomach gurgling and feeling a bit strange. Gastroenteritis is going around work so I rung up sick just in case. As soon as I got off the phone I rushed to the toilet with very watery stool. This continued for once every hour for four hours. I have only vomited once so far but the cramps in my stomach were getting unbearable. I then took an anti-nausea tablet and that settled my gut. I hope this doesn't last very long.

Comment from: mh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

My gastroenteritis started out with my son getting vomiting, diarrhea, and now my husband and I have the same symptoms. It's going on six days now and no signs of it letting up. I've never had anything that lasted this long. My son and husband both went to urgent care and both said it was gastroenteritis. They were told not to use Pepto-Bismol or anything like it.

Comment from: Juel, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I was drinking too much and I ended up with what I thought was a hangover. I went to the hospital and I was told that I have gastroenteritis, so I stopped drinking, went on the BRAT diet, drank Gatorade, and now I feel brand new.

Comment from: sunshinekath, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have had nausea and vomiting and diarrhea for over three weeks.

Comment from: sooverit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

Ten days and still not back to normal. My symptoms were stomach cramping, pain, sore muscles and bones, pain in my mid-back and at base of my skull.

Comment from: nel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

Since being hospitalized for eight days for a kidney stone removal and consequent infection, I have had diarrhea. It has been almost a month that I've suffered.

My daughter went off to college and started feeling nauseous and vomiting. She and we thought it was a bad case of the nerves; thought it was psychological. On day four she went to the ER and was put on an IV for hours for extreme dehydration. She has been diagnosed with gastroenteritis. So it was the virus which made her anxious not the anxiousness that made her sick. So you must force fluids during these episodes; easier said than done. The disease will slowly run its course. Good luck.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic GI disorder of unknown cause. The most common symptoms of IBS include bloating, gas, abdominal pain and cramping, an...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?