Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

...
Comment from: Tummy Flu Victim, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

My gastroenteritis (stomach flu) lasted a week. After four days of vomiting and having diarrhea, I had to go to the emergency room (ER) for fluid replacement and anti-nausea medicine was administered intravenously at that time. I also came home with a prescription for sublingual anti-nausea medicine and pretty much just ate small amounts of banana and dry toast for the next few days. Doctor did not want me to take anti-diarrheal medicine as he said it should run its course (no pun intended), and it did after three more days (one week total).

Comment from: littlesally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am into day 9 of the gastroenteritis with not much relief in sight. I thought I might be able to return to work this morning and as such was taking a shower when I became so weak and woozy I could have fallen in the shower. I called my boss immediately and slept 4 more hours. The first couple days I had vomiting; after that no more retching but the feeling of nausea remains. When I have diarrhea it is in bouts. My whole day yesterday was in the bathroom or asleep. I feel I should return to the doctor for IV fluids, I have had Gatorade, water, flat Coke, orange juice and very little to eat at a time. Half of a yogurt or oatmeal is about all I can manage. I guess what I am wondering about seeing all this throwing up and all the diarrhea, are we somehow managing to re-infect ourselves with everything we handle. It looks like the ones that have someone else there managing the clean sheets and the meals and the baths have a shorter recuperation time. In any case good luck all of you, this is miserable.

Comment from: unhappy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My gastroenteritis symptoms came on suddenly and without warning. I had a bowl of soup and a salad then all of a sudden I felt hot and bloated. Within 15 minutes I was vomiting. I vomited every half hour for half the night. It was almost 12 hours later it stopped and the diarrhea started. I am running a fever of a 100 to 101. It is now 5 days later and I have reflux and diarrhea. I still don't feel like eating. I am taking Pepto-Bismol and something that replaces your electrolytes. I also continue to have a headache, buzzing ears and slight nausea. The fatigue is the worst.

Comment from: Eddie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I woke up at midnight yesterday morning with a sharp pain under my right rib cage; where the liver sits. The pain was so intense I couldn't sit or lie down and ended up vomiting without being nauseous. This is the second day now and the abdominal pain is so bad I'm hunched over all the time. I have a slight fever but no nausea or diarrhea. I can't eat a thing. I'm going back on pain killers. You can't handle this gastroenteritis without it. Hope it doesn't last 10 days.

Comment from: Brenda 50, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

On 9/28/2015 my granddaughter came home from school not feeling well. Through the night she vomited multiple times. She stayed home on 9/29 and continued with nausea and vomiting. Today she continues to have severe nausea. She displays no appetite, and a slight sore throat. Three of her close school friends are presenting the same symptoms of gastroenteritis. One now has a 102 fever. I have been experiencing nausea and severe abdominal cramping with diarrhea for 3 days, no fever.

Comment from: grub, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

This gastroenteritis virus is nasty and lasts a long time. Ten days ago I started with diarrhea, no vomiting, and lots of up and down fever. I have been living on Advil, but stomach pains don't go away. It's no fun, I am still feeling bad.

Comment from: blackhawks fan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

My stomach problems started out of the blue. I woke up feeling awful. I had diarrhea and nausea but no vomiting. By 5pm I felt 100 percent better. I thought the stomach flu attack was over. I woke up the next morning and it was back. I spent the whole week feeling horrible. It wasn't even about the diarrhea but more just a feeling of depression and unhappiness. Never felt so awful inside my bones. I started taking probiotics and that helped immensely. I have to eat too. If I don't eat I start to feel worse. Shaky and awful. I'm still not a 100 percent and it's been about 3 weeks.

Comment from: L_G_K, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 07

My husband had, what we suspect is gastroenteritis, over the weekend. It was Saturday/Sunday night with him feeling extremely nauseous, to the level that he knew he's going to vomit. He was sitting by the toilet for about 10 minutes, and then vomited profusely. He felt a little better after that, and went back to bed after drinking a few sips of water. He again woke up about 4 hours later, and vomited a lot, and things came out of the back too. He showered and went back to bed. He was feeling pretty miserable on Sunday. I gave him a back rub, and apparently that prevented him from vomiting again. He was even able to eat some bland food in the evening. But he had diarrhea on the bed that night, which came without any warning. He felt better afterwards.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Food Poisoning
Food Poisoning Food poisoning is caused by learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis - Medications

What medications (OTC or prescription) were effective in treating your case of gastroenteritis?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?