Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

...
Comment from: Tummy Flu Victim, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

My gastroenteritis (stomach flu) lasted a week. After four days of vomiting and having diarrhea, I had to go to the emergency room (ER) for fluid replacement and anti-nausea medicine was administered intravenously at that time. I also came home with a prescription for sublingual anti-nausea medicine and pretty much just ate small amounts of banana and dry toast for the next few days. Doctor did not want me to take anti-diarrheal medicine as he said it should run its course (no pun intended), and it did after three more days (one week total).

Comment from: Sickotired, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I have been feeling nauseous for nearly three weeks. However, the unusual symptom in my case is itchiness. More unusual is tinnitus. Doctor gave me something for hay fever! In all honesty, not being able to eat without puking up is not a symptom of hay fever. I think it is gastroenteritis. Nobody to turn to for help, I am feeling very weak and low.

Comment from: David, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

This gastroenteritis is evil. I have had this vile condition on and off now for 2 weeks. Unbearable nausea and diabetes. Unbearable stomach ache. Cannot eat or drink anything without feeling violently ill. This is a very serious illness not to be underestimated. I hope for quick recovery and deeply feel for others in my situation. I am sitting in the toilet now as I write this.

Comment from: Shana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have had gastroenteritis for 2 weeks now and it is so wearing. It started with all the symptoms that a previous post described, diarrhea, nausea, and stomach cramps. However after 10 days I started to get back ache, waking up in the night and now my legs are aching. I have taken antibiotics but this has not done any good. I also get very, very tired. The mornings are the worst. I have to get up at least 1.5 hours before I take my daughter to school and I am lucky if I make it, due to the stomach cramps. I have to eat lightly at night or same thing. I can't believe how long this is taking to clear out of my system. I am someone who is never sick!

Comment from: littlesally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am into day 9 of the gastroenteritis with not much relief in sight. I thought I might be able to return to work this morning and as such was taking a shower when I became so weak and woozy I could have fallen in the shower. I called my boss immediately and slept 4 more hours. The first couple days I had vomiting; after that no more retching but the feeling of nausea remains. When I have diarrhea it is in bouts. My whole day yesterday was in the bathroom or asleep. I feel I should return to the doctor for IV fluids, I have had Gatorade, water, flat Coke, orange juice and very little to eat at a time. Half of a yogurt or oatmeal is about all I can manage. I guess what I am wondering about seeing all this throwing up and all the diarrhea, are we somehow managing to re-infect ourselves with everything we handle. It looks like the ones that have someone else there managing the clean sheets and the meals and the baths have a shorter recuperation time. In any case good luck all of you, this is miserable.

Comment from: unhappy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My gastroenteritis symptoms came on suddenly and without warning. I had a bowl of soup and a salad then all of a sudden I felt hot and bloated. Within 15 minutes I was vomiting. I vomited every half hour for half the night. It was almost 12 hours later it stopped and the diarrhea started. I am running a fever of a 100 to 101. It is now 5 days later and I have reflux and diarrhea. I still don't feel like eating. I am taking Pepto-Bismol and something that replaces your electrolytes. I also continue to have a headache, buzzing ears and slight nausea. The fatigue is the worst.

Comment from: Eddie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I woke up at midnight yesterday morning with a sharp pain under my right rib cage; where the liver sits. The pain was so intense I couldn't sit or lie down and ended up vomiting without being nauseous. This is the second day now and the abdominal pain is so bad I'm hunched over all the time. I have a slight fever but no nausea or diarrhea. I can't eat a thing. I'm going back on pain killers. You can't handle this gastroenteritis without it. Hope it doesn't last 10 days.

Comment from: Brenda 50, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

On 9/28/2015 my granddaughter came home from school not feeling well. Through the night she vomited multiple times. She stayed home on 9/29 and continued with nausea and vomiting. Today she continues to have severe nausea. She displays no appetite, and a slight sore throat. Three of her close school friends are presenting the same symptoms of gastroenteritis. One now has a 102 fever. I have been experiencing nausea and severe abdominal cramping with diarrhea for 3 days, no fever.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Food Poisoning
Food Poisoning Food poisoning is caused by learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis - Medications

What medications (OTC or prescription) were effective in treating your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?