Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: justme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I started feeling nauseated around 8 pm. I chewed a Tums, but it didn't help. I went to bed at 11 pm and I was feeling more nauseated. Finally, about an hour later, I ran to the bathroom (not knowing whether I had to vomit or move my bowels). I sat on the toilet and grabbed the waste basket that was on the floor. In seconds, I was vomiting into the wastebasket. It just continued on and on. Once I stopped vomiting, I started to feel much better. I cleaned up everything, and went back to bed. Within the next 2 hours, it started all over again. This time it was vomiting and diarrhea. Then about an hour later, again. The gastroenteritis started more than 3 days ago, and I still don't feel well. The first two days, I also had a terrible headache. The first day after being sick, I drank ginger ale and had one bite of toast (but I had no appetite at all). Today, I feel weak and achy. I did slowly try eating regular foods yesterday, but, now I think I overdid it, because last night, I started feeling nauseous again (though I did not vomit or have diarrhea). I continue to feel something in the back of my throat, like acid reflux, and that is making it very hard to lie down (it is worse when I lie down). I just want to feel normal.

Comment from: Essence, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

Gastroenteritis has happened to me twice and each time it was from me eating mussels. The first time I ate some with my daughter and my abdominal pain woke me up at 4 am. It started with the diarrhea, then vomiting soon followed suit and while on the toilet I was vomiting, which caused me to urinate at the same time, then add the diarrhea all at the same time! So holding a trash can up to my face while losing control of my bodily functions was very embarrassing to say the least. My pressure was up 150/100. I went to the emergency room (ER) where each time I went to sit down I had to go to the bathroom again. I was so dehydrated I passed out. When I came to I was still in the waiting room waiting to be seen so in the meantime I'm still vomiting, urinating, diarrhea all at the same time until 9:30 am. That is when I was sent in the back, I had to be in a wheel chair because I had messed myself at some point and I couldn't walk. I was weak, not able to move without help. Then last month I had mussels again with my daughter and the same thing happen to me, mind you, my daughter wasn't infected. I do have diverticulitis so the doctors treated it as such.

Comment from: Riamorrow, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

I have gotten the stomach flu twice within 4 months, each time a little different. It usually starts with unsettling gas, followed by no appetite, and then vomiting a few days later. This time I had bad gas, diarrhea, and extreme nausea but have not vomited. I have read that you only keep an immunity for about 4 months until a different type of bug is created. I caught the bug due to an unregulated cleaning at a day care. Let's just say I no longer work there.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

Currently I'm still fighting the stomach flu which started 2 days ago. I'm able to keep some food and fluids down but I'm still not ready to eat a normal diet. My abdominal pain has not subsided yet, but with the help of Pepto-Bismol that has been helping a little to alleviate the pain. My cold sweats and nausea feeling has subsided to mild and I'm able to get up and out of bed. The last 48 hours was horrible. All I could do was drink a little fluid and sleep. The first night I threw-up constantly which led to the morning. I'm currently on antibiotics and I don't think that it is helping my stomach at all. I going to take myself off of the antibiotics until my abdomen pain subsides. I hope this helps. I forgot to mention that before this all happen I just had the flu shot the day before I came down with all of these symptoms. My Dr thinks I was already infected with the flu. Good luck.

Comment from: ginger, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

Wow, mine started with diarrhea the first day and that was all. I didn't go to work because my stomach was so upset but I was able to eat so I did. That was the wrong thing to do, as I found out at 3am the next morning. I woke up with a terrible stomach ache and thought I had to use the restroom, so while I'm sitting on the commode trying to defecate, I start throwing up and I can't stop. I've had this before so I called an ambulance right away. I threw up in the hospital while waiting to be discharged (the doctor felt I was okay enough to go home and take a prescription drug) so the doctor changed his mind and gave me Zofran through an IV. I felt so much better until they took the IV out and I waited for a ride home. While I was sitting in the waiting area for my ride, I threw up again and was in severe pain. I've been drinking water and a little ginger ale and I feel much better now.Although Zofran does make you drowsy-ughh I hate this!

Mine started at 5:30 am with some fierce diarrhea. Then I started getting nauseous during the diarrhea episodes and wouldn't know which end it was coming out of first. The forceful vomiting caused the diarrhea to squirt out everywhere and I had to throw away my pants and get in the shower. The vomiting lasted a couple more hours. Then it was nausea, heartburn, stomach gurgling/noises for the next week. Horrible time! The only thing that helped was drinking tiny sips of ice water and Propel water.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Food Poisoning
Food Poisoning Food poisoning is caused by learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis - Medications

What medications (OTC or prescription) were effective in treating your case of gastroenteritis?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?