Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Mama Reihan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

My symptoms (diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, high fever and muscle aches) lasted about 60 hours after first started. I went to see a doctor 10 hours after it started and the doctor asked me to stay. I was treated with IV and antibiotics and stayed in hospital for three days.

Comment from: Flosspot, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

My granddaughter caught this last week. It started in the early hours of the morning and she is still not eating and is as weak as a kitten and hurting all over.

Published: April 01

Mine lasted 5 days. Nothing helped but sleep and cold water. I'm into the 5th day and still weak and not hungry. I'm now eating chicken soup 1/2 cup at a time.

Comment from: dilla, 35-44 Female Published: January 06

I went to bed at 8 p.m. by 10 p.m. I was up vomiting with stomach cramps for another 4 hours with a little loose stool. I could not sleep at all. I was sick to my stomach... It was very scary. I was sweating and dizzy. I went to ER and they gave me an IV as I was dehydrated and gave me some pain meds through an IV and sent me home. I am on a liquid diet but trying some soup. Still don't feel right but I am trying to go to work tomorrow. I was given nausea medication to take every 6 hours which helped.

Comment from: Never Again, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

They said it was gastroenteritis. I got home from work one night and felt blah. Not bad just no energy no appetite. By morning I was cramping so bad I couldn't stand upright. I could barely walk to the restroom. I had a slight bit of diarrhea and no vomiting. At one point I passed out on the toilet because of the pain. Some friends of mine drove me to the ER. They immediately wheeled me back to a room (I couldn't stand) put me on fluids and a morphine drip. I had consultations with an infectious disease doctor, OB/GYN, and a Gastro specialist. After an internal and external ultrasound, full body CT scan and an entire blood work-up I was admitted to the hospital. IV pain meds (morphine and Vicodin), IV antibiotics (3 different antibiotics at different times of the day), fluids and 3 days later they still weren't sure what was wrong. Finally they told me it was Gastroenteritis... 2 days later they discharged me and I was able to go home. When all was said and done I missed 2 weeks of work. I lost 40 pounds, and a year and a half later, my appetite still has not returned to normal.

Comment from: kidchlorine, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I went out and ran my usual two miles at the track and then I ate dinner: turkey hot dogs, potatoes, salad and asparagus. My gastroenteritis started with bloating, then I was vomiting later that night until my stomach was empty. I also had some stomach cramping like my belly was in knots and I had a slight headache, some chills and of course, anxiety. Now I'm drinking plenty of fluids and I'm eating toast, soup and other light things. I can't stand to look at food commercials on TV and I may never eat hot dogs again.

Comment from: Butterfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

The gastroenteritis lasted about 8 hours. It began with nausea, trembling, then vomiting. And then later is when both vomiting and diarrhea. What helped was getting out of my system what was causing the situation. Then after, I had finally stopped vomiting, I had some soda crackers and clear soda and it seemed to settle my stomach.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

One week ago after dealing with a day of a sour stomach in my one year old, I awoke with severe vomiting and diarrhea. For 10 hours I could not budge from the bathroom floor for any reason. The onset was rapid with no warning signs whatsoever. Finally after 10 hours, I managed to call 911 and was administered nearly 1 gallon of IV fluid before being released to home partially due to an 8 hour hospital wait to even be admitted to the ER for the flu in our area. During the next 4 days, the illness spread to my husband, then to my two-year-old daughter. The husband and baby got better, but my daughter and I are still having bouts of vomiting and diarrhea that come and go unexpectedly. Nothing at all helped except for rest and fluids. It appears to just hit some people harder than others.

Comment from: resedabroger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

It's New Years Day, 2010. I wanted to start my New Year off on the right track...but my intestinal tract is not cooperating with me! I thought maybe I ate something that didn't agree with me about 5 days ago. It started with a stomach ache that progressively grew worse by the hour. Then I got a headache, fever, chills, and intense nausea. I hate vomiting so I chewed Tums (which helped) until my body settled for runny diarrhea. I'm back on my feet, and able to eat, but I'm still battling abdominal discomfort that doesn't seem to want to cease. Chewing Tums helps temporarily. Judging from other viewers comments, this appears to be the norm. I suppose the bacteria hang around in your system for awhile. It's hard to determine the difference between food poisoning and a stomach virus when the symptoms are so similar. I hope we all recover soon!

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic GI disorder of unknown cause. The most common symptoms of IBS include bloating, gas, abdominal pain and cramping, an...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?