Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: ginger, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

Wow, mine started with diarrhea the first day and that was all. I didn't go to work because my stomach was so upset but I was able to eat so I did. That was the wrong thing to do, as I found out at 3am the next morning. I woke up with a terrible stomach ache and thought I had to use the restroom, so while I'm sitting on the commode trying to defecate, I start throwing up and I can't stop. I've had this before so I called an ambulance right away. I threw up in the hospital while waiting to be discharged (the doctor felt I was okay enough to go home and take a prescription drug) so the doctor changed his mind and gave me Zofran through an IV. I felt so much better until they took the IV out and I waited for a ride home. While I was sitting in the waiting area for my ride, I threw up again and was in severe pain. I've been drinking water and a little ginger ale and I feel much better now.Although Zofran does make you drowsy-ughh I hate this!

Mine started at 5:30 am with some fierce diarrhea. Then I started getting nauseous during the diarrhea episodes and wouldn't know which end it was coming out of first. The forceful vomiting caused the diarrhea to squirt out everywhere and I had to throw away my pants and get in the shower. The vomiting lasted a couple more hours. Then it was nausea, heartburn, stomach gurgling/noises for the next week. Horrible time! The only thing that helped was drinking tiny sips of ice water and Propel water.

My symptoms usually last about a week, maybe longer. And that depends upon how soon I can see my Dr. for him to prescribe an antidiarrheal, anti spasmodic and pain reliever. Librax helped, but made me pretty dizzy & a bit groggy. Levsin also helped quite a bit. I chewed Maalox chewables for the incredible belching. That worked pretty well. When the cramping, diarrhea and dry heaves were over, the pain sometimes persisted as well as a lot of shakiness. I took Ativan that worked well for the shakiness.

Comment from: mil, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am on the 5th day since getting gastroenteritis and I have never had diarrhea like this. I am hoping it's calming down now.

Comment from: clueless08, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I've had food poisoning for 14 days straight a year ago. It was horrible. I was in and out of hospital and had to have a scope down my throat. My doctor said It was a very severe case of food poisoning and could last up to a month (longest recorded case). I was taking baths and showers all day long to help stomach pain and drinking half Gatorade, half water and mixed in a little Sprite. It helped me so much.

Comment from: Brandon, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

The day before onset I felt great. I ate garlic chicken (may never be able to smell garlic again without feeling I'll), and went to bed. Once at work the stomachache worsened and I had diarrhea a couple times. My legs and shoulders began to ache rather badly. That's when I decided to go home. Once home I immediately went to the bathroom and became rather nauseous. That night I went to bed with a high fever, sweating profusely, and cramping in my abdomen. I spent most of the next day and night either on the toilet or in bed sleeping. I was able to eat some yogurt a banana and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that day though. Eventually, Immodium and Pedialyte did help. I hope you all feel better.

Comment from: james, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I had severe stomach pain started along with vomiting. The past 32 hours have been nothing but clear, greasy looking diarrhea. It came while sleeping and kept me from sleeping after that, obviously. Two times this happened so now I am afraid to sleep.

Comment from: JazzyWisa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

Hopefully, I am nearing the end of my relatively minor flu episode. Except for a few arthroscopic surgeries in the last 10 years, I've been very healthy and can't remember the last time I was sick. My stomach felt kind of upset, so I had a smaller lunch. It seemed worse enough by dinner time that I decided to have only a small bowl of chicken soup in which I drank only the liquid and had nothing else except water to supplement. I also bought some ginger candies from a store to help my tummy. I accepted the fact that I have the flu. Today I awoke with no tummy pain. Besides water & ginger ale, I have had chicken noodle soup, jello, salted soda crackers, white bread, two bananas and some melon.

Comment from: Mary Grace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

On December 21st, 2013, I went to a restaurant in Ridgefield, CT and shortly afterwards thought I had food poisoning. I had severe diarrhea that damaged the skin in the rectal area because I was using toilet tissue so often. My husband had to go to CVS when the skin started bleeding to get baby wipes and diaper cream. Otherwise, I was in agony. I'm just able to shower and dress and get out of bed for short periods of time. Now, my husband is really sick with both issues (vomiting and diarrhea).

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Food Poisoning
Food Poisoning Food poisoning is caused by learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis - Medications

What medications (OTC or prescription) were effective in treating your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?