Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 16

Gastroenteritis. This is what the doctors said about my six-year-old. Her condition has been going on for nine days and now they have treated her with an antibiotic and sent her home. She still has a pain under her belly button. The doctors are saying that the gastroenteritis also caused the tip of her appendix to become inflamed. Something doesn't sound right about this. I mean, I understand they are supposed to be doctors, but I know my child and something is not right. My mother thinks I should take her to another doctor. I think she's right. In fact, I know she is.

Comment from: Chazz BUrke, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 16

My six year old woke up Friday for school with a pain in her stomach and some runny stool. She ate some toast and felt better and went to school but about an hour later she came home with more of the same. After a visit to children's hospital we found she had gastroenteritis. By Saturday morning she was back to normal but now my wife has the same thing. Gatorade, water, toast, Tums and mint tea all seem to help. -Chazz

Into my fourth day and the cramping is thankfully less severe. First day was several soft bowel movements with minimal cramping. Day two was a whole new nightmare. Severe intestinal cramping with diarrhea, vomiting, extreme sweating (more than I ever sweated in boot camp) and very near hyperventilating. I have never had this happen and it really scared me.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

This severe upset is now in its fourth day. As recommended by the pharmacist, Anagraine was helpful in preventing any further vomiting, after the initial 7 hours of repeated bouts; and Immodium has been useful with the follow-up sessions of diarrhea.

Comment from: Sangeeta, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I'm living in Asia we often have bouts of gastro- enteritis. The last one was today, with severe diarrhea, and stomach pain. As soon as I get diarrhea or bad stomach cramps I take 4 cloves of raw garlic chew them and swallow them with some sugar. I continue doing this till I am better. Usually I need to do this for only a day (I am already better), but sometimes I need to continue this for 3-5 days. If you start this immediately it even works for some bacterial and protozoal diarrheas like amoebas. Since we started "the garlic treatment" our need for taking medicines has decreased significantly.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

Mine started end of February 2009 and is still severe. No medications seem to be helping me. The only relief I get is when I use a hot water bottle on my aching stomach. Anything I eat upsets me and I feel like throwing up and immediately run to the washroom. My stomach keeps making a lot of noise all the time. Its now Sept. 2009

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

The diarrhea started on a Wednesday and lasted for 2 days. On Friday, one tablet of antidiarrheal seemed to clear up everything and I rested through the weekend. I continued to have some loose stool through the remainder of the next week. On Friday (9 days after start) diarrhea worsened again. I'm not sure why. Planning to stick to bed rest and gatorade and take the antidiarrheal medication again.

Comment from: Michael , 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 08

I am a biomedical scientist in my area. A patient once presented some conditions of gastroenteritis, a microscopic examination of his stool, confirmed that the patient had gastroenteritis. Since the pain was mild, I asked him to take a lot fluid and rest. He did exactly what I told him, and to my outmost amusement, he was relieved of the pain in about an hour.

Comment from: Owww, 19-24 Male Published: May 21

My symptoms began suddenly at around 10:00pm on Thursday night. I had a single bout of diarrhea and then threw up 5 times at around 12:30am. For the rest of the night, I was nauseas and had a fever which made it very difficult to attempt to sleep. I did not throw up or have diarrhea for the rest of the night, and it felt like my stomach was in knots. After treating my forehead with a cold towel, I was able to sleep until 10 am the next day. I immediately got up and had a long bout of diarrhea. It is not 6 pm on Friday, and I've been drinking lots of clear fluids, and ate a banana and baked potato. I still have light diarrhea and slight abdominal cramping, but I no longer feel nauseas or have a fever. Hopefully, It will be gone by tomorrow.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic GI disorder of unknown cause. The most common symptoms of IBS include bloating, gas, abdominal pain and cramping, an...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?