Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: feel sick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Starting feeling upset stomach and sick feeling which increased to having to lie down and moan and then starting violent vomiting all on first day. During the night I had horrible sickness that made me fall on floor in bathroom and crawl to the commode, hair fell in commode, trying to vomit but diarrhea came out instead all over floor and myself and finally able to get up and shower. Felt better next day but queasy. On third day thought was better but not up to par. Then on fourth day (today) have constant diarrhea and stomach cramps and sick feeling. Will it ever end? Very contagious, other family members affected.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

Day 1: I awakened at 3 a.m. with extreme nausea and abdominal pain. At 6 a.m. I had 4 bouts of diarrhea and then vomiting. I vomited 13 times most of it bile. I was unable to keep sips of water down without vomiting. Day 2: Continued to vomit bile with a little blood. I could not keep any water down. Extreme nausea and abdominal pain. Unable to stand, very faint and dizzy. After vomiting 9 more times Day 2 I went to the ER. Treated for extreme dehydration, decreased potassium, nausea, and pain. Day 3: I was sent home with antiemetics and started clear liquids which I was able to keep down. I still had abdominal discomfort and some nausea with gas. Day 4: Still on clear liquids with abdominal discomfort. Day 5: Started BRAT diet which I so far have been able to keep down. I am still experiencing abdominal discomfort with a gassy feeling. This is the first day that I have been able to sit in a chair at the computer. This is, without a doubt, the most ill that I have been in my life.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic GI disorder of unknown cause. The most common symptoms of IBS include bloating, gas, abdominal pain and cramping, an...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?