Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Comment from: gastroenteritis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

My symptoms were very similar to everyone else. I took wild strawberry and ginger ale. This really settled my stomach as it was gurgling away like it was ready to explode.

Comment from: mscdalex, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

Mine started Sunday evening took a nap woke up running a temperature and having chills. Late Sunday night my stomach started to bubble and I had diarrhea all that day went to my doctor and he said it sounded like Gastroenteritis. I only got nausea a couple of time but no vomiting. I was very weak for two days and just sick, fever broke and doing better until I ate something and the loose stools came back along with severe stomach cramps. I am on day five and only doing Gatorade. I need this to stop.

Comment from: Christine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

It was the last night of our holiday in Bali and I started to have mild stomach cramps. We went out to dinner at a swanky restaurant. I started to feel unwell and went back to the hotel. I sat on the toilet with severe diarrhea followed by vomiting. There was poo all over the floor. I crawled to the bath and sat in the water and called to my sisters in the next room. I continued to vomit and defecate in the water. My face was white as a sheet. We called for the doctor who gave me an injection for stomach pain and vomiting. He also gave me antibiotics which seemed to make my stomach feel worse. I had hours of cramps and diarrhea. This improved after I took some Imodium. I have never felt so ill in my life.

Comment from: i4shadow, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Sips of water (plain or with Gastrolyte added), ice chips and sips of Pedialyte helped keep me hydrated and my electrolytes up.

Comment from: meme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had to go to the ER due to gastroenteritis. I had to get IV. I was sick for three days and working with pre-K kids. I hope I won't catch it again.

Comment from: chantel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I woke up at 4am feeling sick to my stomach. I vomited through the night about 7 times. Then diarrhea started. After 10 hours I went to the hospital, I was dehydrated and given IV and gravel through my IV. 24 hours later I started feeling better!

Comment from: Johnny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I suddenly felt ill on a Sat. afternoon with what I thought was simple diarrhea. I took Imodium, but for the first time ever, it made everything worse. I would've preferred the runs to what I encountered for 3 days - mainly sitting on the toilet with little results yet with painful cramping to the point where I was sweating from the pain. I wish I hadn't taken it, although it has worked for me in the past. I think it lengthened the time of my recovery. I think I may have had a bad fast food burger (mayo, the last food I ate before I got sick). I found original flavor Gatorade to be the best hydrator and was easier to take than water. I drank a lot and that helped keep me from dehydration and the headaches one can get with that. I get gastro about once a year, though I never had it as bad as this.

Comment from: Gemini2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

OMG...I have not felt this bad in years, so I decided to go into the E.R. Once there I was pumped with two bags of fluid for dehydration and given nausea medication. The next few days I was just recovering.

Comment from: concerned mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 01

My 11 year old son became ill with vomiting and diarrhea. I took him to the doctor and was told he had gastroenteritis. He has complained of severe upper abdominal pain. After week 2 of this, I took him back to the doctor, who gave me the same advice. My son does not have diarrhea, nausea, or the low grade fever anymore, however, the abdominal pain is still bad. This is week 3 of this mess and still no relief. The doctor only prescribed an anti diarrheal for him, but that is no longer the problem. He has missed school and I am concerned and wondering just how long this will continue.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Food Poisoning
Food Poisoning Food poisoning is caused by viruses, bacteria, toxins, parasites, or chemicals that have contaminated food or drinking water. Symptoms of food poisoning include...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Gastroenteritis - Medications

What medications (OTC or prescription) were effective in treating your case of gastroenteritis?