Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Comment from: meme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had to go to the ER due to gastroenteritis. I had to get IV. I was sick for three days and working with pre-K kids. I hope I won't catch it again.

Comment from: chantel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I woke up at 4am feeling sick to my stomach. I vomited through the night about 7 times. Then diarrhea started. After 10 hours I went to the hospital, I was dehydrated and given IV and gravel through my IV. 24 hours later I started feeling better!

Comment from: Johnny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I suddenly felt ill on a Sat. afternoon with what I thought was simple diarrhea. I took Imodium, but for the first time ever, it made everything worse. I would've preferred the runs to what I encountered for 3 days - mainly sitting on the toilet with little results yet with painful cramping to the point where I was sweating from the pain. I wish I hadn't taken it, although it has worked for me in the past. I think it lengthened the time of my recovery. I think I may have had a bad fast food burger (mayo, the last food I ate before I got sick). I found original flavor Gatorade to be the best hydrator and was easier to take than water. I drank a lot and that helped keep me from dehydration and the headaches one can get with that. I get gastro about once a year, though I never had it as bad as this.

Comment from: Gemini2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

OMG...I have not felt this bad in years, so I decided to go into the E.R. Once there I was pumped with two bags of fluid for dehydration and given nausea medication. The next few days I was just recovering.

Comment from: concerned mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 01

My 11 year old son became ill with vomiting and diarrhea. I took him to the doctor and was told he had gastroenteritis. He has complained of severe upper abdominal pain. After week 2 of this, I took him back to the doctor, who gave me the same advice. My son does not have diarrhea, nausea, or the low grade fever anymore, however, the abdominal pain is still bad. This is week 3 of this mess and still no relief. The doctor only prescribed an anti diarrheal for him, but that is no longer the problem. He has missed school and I am concerned and wondering just how long this will continue.

Comment from: Anonymous, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

When I get gastroenteritis, I vomit a few hours after eating dinner and then feel constantly nauseous and have watery diarrhea for the next 3 to 5 days. I have a stomachache and low fever, but still feel hungry, but don't feel like eating more than 300 calories at a time. I don't vomit more than the first time, just a lot of watery diarrhea every 10 to 60 mins. I can drink water which is important to rehydrate.

Comment from: jeff, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

Ate a Sunday roast at 1pm then had a pizza for tea at around 6pm. My stomach felt bloated and I thought there must have been something wrong with the pizza. At 10.30pm I took the dog for a walk and on the way back I felt the sickness taste you get in your mouth just before vomiting. I leant against a small fence and vomited forcefully about 4 or 5 times. I knew then I was in for a rough 48 hours. My son had just got over a bout of the same. During the night I hardly slept. I was up every half hour or so with bouts of diarrhea and sickness. I stopped eating and just drank cups of cold water. The water would eventually either come out with diarrhea or vomiting. I usually felt a little bit better after the vomiting. You like to take medication to control the diarrhea and I took some Imodium tablets which dries it up so that you can't go to the toilet at all. I now think that's a bad idea. You end up straining for 2 or 3 days with bad flatulence and that gives you further stomach cramps. The best thing to do is just ride it out but take in water even if you know you are going to throw it up ten minutes later. Your body is trying to rid itself of the toxins.

Comment from: Tommyhueb80, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

My 2 year old threw up twice on thursday, and she had a low fever(about 99.5-101). She had a little diarrhea on friday. On Saturday she felt okay, with just a small fever. On Sunday I woke up with bad smelly gas. At about 6p.m. My stomach started to cramp and my neck and shoulders ached. I had a fever of 100.5. By 7:30p.m. I could barely stand. I was haveing frequent bouts of diarrhea, and threw up a few times. This went on till about 2:40a.m. I could not keep any liquids down during that time. On Monday I still had a low fever, stomach was queasy, and 1-2 bouts of diarrhea. the cramps had gone for the most part. It is now 2pm and I feel okay I guess. It goes to show It can hit some people way worse than others.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic GI disorder of unknown cause. The most common symptoms of IBS include bloating, gas, abdominal pain and cramping, an...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?