Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Comment from: Anonymous, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

When I get gastroenteritis, I vomit a few hours after eating dinner and then feel constantly nauseous and have watery diarrhea for the next 3 to 5 days. I have a stomachache and low fever, but still feel hungry, but don't feel like eating more than 300 calories at a time. I don't vomit more than the first time, just a lot of watery diarrhea every 10 to 60 mins. I can drink water which is important to rehydrate.

Comment from: jeff, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

Ate a Sunday roast at 1pm then had a pizza for tea at around 6pm. My stomach felt bloated and I thought there must have been something wrong with the pizza. At 10.30pm I took the dog for a walk and on the way back I felt the sickness taste you get in your mouth just before vomiting. I leant against a small fence and vomited forcefully about 4 or 5 times. I knew then I was in for a rough 48 hours. My son had just got over a bout of the same. During the night I hardly slept. I was up every half hour or so with bouts of diarrhea and sickness. I stopped eating and just drank cups of cold water. The water would eventually either come out with diarrhea or vomiting. I usually felt a little bit better after the vomiting. You like to take medication to control the diarrhea and I took some Imodium tablets which dries it up so that you can't go to the toilet at all. I now think that's a bad idea. You end up straining for 2 or 3 days with bad flatulence and that gives you further stomach cramps. The best thing to do is just ride it out but take in water even if you know you are going to throw it up ten minutes later. Your body is trying to rid itself of the toxins.

Comment from: Tommyhueb80, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

My 2 year old threw up twice on thursday, and she had a low fever(about 99.5-101). She had a little diarrhea on friday. On Saturday she felt okay, with just a small fever. On Sunday I woke up with bad smelly gas. At about 6p.m. My stomach started to cramp and my neck and shoulders ached. I had a fever of 100.5. By 7:30p.m. I could barely stand. I was haveing frequent bouts of diarrhea, and threw up a few times. This went on till about 2:40a.m. I could not keep any liquids down during that time. On Monday I still had a low fever, stomach was queasy, and 1-2 bouts of diarrhea. the cramps had gone for the most part. It is now 2pm and I feel okay I guess. It goes to show It can hit some people way worse than others.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Food Poisoning
Food Poisoning Food poisoning is caused by learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Gastroenteritis - Medications

What medications (OTC or prescription) were effective in treating your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?