Viewer Comments: Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Comment from: suzynana7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Got sick 24 hours after eating Chinese food at a restaurant. More than 20 BM's and I was up 5 times in the first 24 hours. Day 2, still crampy, headachy and spent most of the time in the bathroom. I went through a week's worth of underwear each day and wished I had adult diapers to use. Sick and having to clean up the mess, ugh. Pepto bismol and Imodium seemed to help. Saw a doctor after 48 hours; liquid stool sent to the lab. Day 3, fewer episodes; they told me to drink Gatorade and water, eat rice and potatoes if tolerated. Day 4, finally it stopped but I was so weak I slept all day. Day 5, I am feeling much better and regaining my appetite. 60 hours of hell. I haven't ever had anything this bad.

Comment from: Ante, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

Sunday morning woke up, had water diarrhea, went twice and I was ok after that, no throwing up, I ate a decent meal and thought it was over - not so. By Sunday afternoon I had a sore throat, headache, chills and every muscle in my body ached! Took Hydrolite (to prevent de-hydration) and went to bed early. During the night I had to go number 2, but they weren't watery. I thought I was in the clear! Nope. It's now Monday morning and I'm sitting on the toilet. Every time I get up and try to leave, I have to sit down and the watery number 2's are back with a vengeance. I will keep drinking Hydrolite and try to eat dry foods. The smell is unbearable.

Comment from: stace_1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My daughter who is 2 was diagnosed with gastroenteritis after being sick and constipated and having a fever of 40. She was diagnosed Sunday and by Tuesday she was much better with just calpol but was clingy and winey for 2 days (much better than her being sick). Then on Monday I felt sick in the morning but was fine for the rest of the day. Tuesday I felt sick for the morning too and had a headache but then was fine all day. Wednesday was when the diarrhea started and stomach cramps which were quite sharp and constant nausea. This lasted till Friday when I took imodium. This stopped the diarrhea but I still have the sharp discomforting cramps and nausea and headache constantly now. I also have a temperature. Think a trip to the walk in centre is due tomorrow.

Comment from: Mk usa, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My daughter age 5 visited Bangalore recently. She went for vacation. She developed vomiting, diarrhea, tummy pain and high fever. We joined her at hospital, where the doctor there gave her antibacterial and started treatment along with fever medicine.

Comment from: gastroenteritis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

My symptoms were very similar to everyone else. I took wild strawberry and ginger ale. This really settled my stomach as it was gurgling away like it was ready to explode.

Related Reading: ginger

Comment from: mscdalex, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

Mine started Sunday evening took a nap woke up running a temperature and having chills. Late Sunday night my stomach started to bubble and I had diarrhea all that day went to my doctor and he said it sounded like Gastroenteritis. I only got nausea a couple of time but no vomiting. I was very weak for two days and just sick, fever broke and doing better until I ate something and the loose stools came back along with severe stomach cramps. I am on day five and only doing Gatorade. I need this to stop.

Comment from: Christine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

It was the last night of our holiday in Bali and I started to have mild stomach cramps. We went out to dinner at a swanky restaurant. I started to feel unwell and went back to the hotel. I sat on the toilet with severe diarrhea followed by vomiting. There was poo all over the floor. I crawled to the bath and sat in the water and called to my sisters in the next room. I continued to vomit and defecate in the water. My face was white as a sheet. We called for the doctor who gave me an injection for stomach pain and vomiting. He also gave me antibiotics which seemed to make my stomach feel worse. I had hours of cramps and diarrhea. This improved after I took some Imodium. I have never felt so ill in my life.

Comment from: i4shadow, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Sips of water (plain or with Gastrolyte added), ice chips and sips of Pedialyte helped keep me hydrated and my electrolytes up.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastroenteritis

Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and food intolerance. Symptoms ...learn more >>
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic GI disorder of unknown cause. The most common symptoms of IBS include bloating, gas, abdominal pain and cramping, an...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu):

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Causes

What caused your Stomach Flu?

Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu) - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your gastroenteritis (stomach flu) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?