Genital Herpes in Women
Genital herpes facts:
- There is no "safe" sex.
- Condoms do not necessarily prevent sexually transmitted diseases.
- Genital herpes is a viral infection that can cause painful genital sores and causes recurrent outbreaks.
- Many people are infected with herpes virus and are not aware of the infection.
- The herpes virus is spread by direct person-to-person contact.
- An infected person may transmit the virus to others even if no symptoms are present.
- There is no cure for genital herpes, but viral shedding and outbreaks can be reduced with antiviral medications.