Viewer Comments: Genital Herpes - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital herpes?

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: January 03

I've suffered outbreaks for maybe ten years now. With my most recent outbreak, I've also been fighting a cold and sinus infection. I have been taking oregano oil for the sinus infection which seems to have had a positive effect on the virus as well! Knock on wood; I have not gotten a full outbreak, only the beginning sensations. I urge all to try this treatment. Oregano oil can be used in a glass of water, just add 5 to 10 drops in a glass of water.

Comment from: Long time sufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Definitely find the only way to control Herpes as a woman is to always take multiple vitamins!! I find that my "monthlies" lower my body's resistance and leave my body weaker and more prone to outbreaks!

Published: June 09

Hello, I have genital herpes and just want to reassure anyone who has an STD that you are not alone. There are millions of us and we come from all walks of life.

Comment from: SoTx, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I believe I have had herpes for over 40 years; before there was a name for it. Its frequency has increased unfortunately. At first I could control by not getting too hot, eating yogurt. Then I started taking acidophilus over the counter. Now I take it twice a day plus when I have symptoms. Guess I will have to graduate to the anti-viral drugs.

Comment from: lgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I appreciate the straight forward and seemingly concise information provided here. However, I am experiencing outbreaks on my buttocks, as much as 5 separate lesions at a time as many times as 5 or six times a month. I am not sexually active and eat healthy foods. I have taken nuts and seeds out of my diet because of the fear of causing outbreaks. I am highly allergic to the anti viral medications used to control outbreaks. This is my question: Could there be some vitamin, mineral or other supplement that my body is missing that leaves my body open to these outbreaks? I've heard something about L-Lysine.

Comment from: xyz, Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Herpes is a viral infection and thus there are no immediate results. It takes its time to heal -- generally a period of seven painful days after which it gradually subsides. Painkillers help in reducing the amount of pain.

Comment from: Clean&Clear, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

For those who have genital herpes it is so important to have a good multi vitamin and mineral supplement. Eat healthier, must exercise, high B vitamins. Definitely take the Lysine-over counter purchase. Keep drinking and partying to a minimal. Your body needs to stay healthy at all costs to fight this issue. Proper rest, proper food and proper vitamins are essential.

Must Read Articles Related to Genital Herpes

Cervicitis
Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread through any type of sexual activity ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital herpes?