Viewer Comments: Genital Herpes - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital herpes?

Comment from: 2280, 25-34 Female Published: March 27

I just found out I have herpes. I can't believe it. How could this happen to me? That was my first reaction, and then SHAME. I have told only two people. I have never had an outbreak, and I pray that I never will.

Comment from: Butterfly, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

Topical lidocaine numbs the pain. I love it.

Comment from: anano564, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I just found out that I had herpes which got it from my boyfriend. For some reason he started using Neosporin and in literally 24 hours it was gone. I did as well and every time I feel tingly and feel bumps I put NEO and by the next day it is gone. It's amazing! Neosporin has done wonders for me. Try it. You won't be disappointed.

Comment from: male, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I just discovered that I have herpes. I didn't know what it was initially, but I saw little rashes on my pubic region that developed into sores. I went to a clinic and after close examination, I was told that it was herpes. I was devastated when I found out.

Comment from: jackie, Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have been taking lysine over the counter. When the symptoms occur, I take three tablets a day and it is usually gone by the next. It has been a fantastic discovery for me.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I've had minor outbreaks since 2007, perhaps once a year or so. I always keep a small tube of Zovirax at home, and when they happen this clears it up within a few days.

Comment from: leeahbabbs, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I've just been recently diagnosed with genital herpes. I'm currently taking an anti-viral drug to help with my initial outbreak, and I feel humbled knowing that I'm not alone in this fight.

Comment from: ANONY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have found that baby Orajel helps to numb the area to help with associated pain on the affected area.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: January 03

I've suffered outbreaks for maybe ten years now. With my most recent outbreak, I've also been fighting a cold and sinus infection. I have been taking oregano oil for the sinus infection which seems to have had a positive effect on the virus as well! Knock on wood; I have not gotten a full outbreak, only the beginning sensations. I urge all to try this treatment. Oregano oil can be used in a glass of water, just add 5 to 10 drops in a glass of water.

Comment from: Long time sufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Definitely find the only way to control Herpes as a woman is to always take multiple vitamins!! I find that my "monthlies" lower my body's resistance and leave my body weaker and more prone to outbreaks!

Published: June 09

Hello, I have genital herpes and just want to reassure anyone who has an STD that you are not alone. There are millions of us and we come from all walks of life.

Comment from: SoTx, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I believe I have had herpes for over 40 years; before there was a name for it. Its frequency has increased unfortunately. At first I could control by not getting too hot, eating yogurt. Then I started taking acidophilus over the counter. Now I take it twice a day plus when I have symptoms. Guess I will have to graduate to the anti-viral drugs.

Must Read Articles Related to Genital Herpes

Cervicitis
Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread through any type of sexual activity ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital herpes?