Viewer Comments: Genital Herpes - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital herpes?

Comment from: anonymous, Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am suffering from genital herpes. If you want to finish off the outbreaks finish coffee, black tea, chocolate and cola from your life. I have done this and my monthly outbreaks which lasted for 5 years have stopped since almost two years. Yes, if I take any of above mentioned items for a few days I get outbreaks again. I am herpes-free man till I don't take these items. Wish you all best of luck.

Comment from: DoesntmAtter, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I got herpes 6 years ago from my ex-husband who cheated on me. My first outbreak was very painful. I had sores all over my vagina. I didn't have another outbreak until five years later. This time it was on my behind and it was super painful, but only lasted couple of days. I think eating healthy and keeping the immune up is the key.

Comment from: Cloud9, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I have been diagnosed with genital herpes 8 months ago, so far I only had it once. I keep waiting for the next one. I haven't been in any relationship since then, it's been very hard for me for I am a young girl.

Comment from: lilmscee66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I started dating a man outside my marriage and within two months I was diagnosed with HSV2. I have not told him or my husband, but I did start a daily dose of Valtrex. I am scared to tell my husband with whom I have not had sex with since finding out. There is no easy way to tell either of them.

Comment from: Great Grandmother, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 13

A few years ago I was told I had genital herpes. I had not been in a relationship for 15 years. I thought the doctor was kidding. He told me it can stay dormant for many years. I was shocked. I get it about every five weeks and take pills for five days. It usually appears as a large, itchy bump or two in the hairline. It's not fun, that's for sure.

Comment from: 2280, 25-34 Female Published: March 27

I just found out I have herpes. I can't believe it. How could this happen to me? That was my first reaction, and then SHAME. I have told only two people. I have never had an outbreak, and I pray that I never will.

Comment from: Butterfly, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

Topical lidocaine numbs the pain. I love it.

Comment from: anano564, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I just found out that I had herpes which got it from my boyfriend. For some reason he started using Neosporin and in literally 24 hours it was gone. I did as well and every time I feel tingly and feel bumps I put NEO and by the next day it is gone. It's amazing! Neosporin has done wonders for me. Try it. You won't be disappointed.

Comment from: male, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I just discovered that I have herpes. I didn't know what it was initially, but I saw little rashes on my pubic region that developed into sores. I went to a clinic and after close examination, I was told that it was herpes. I was devastated when I found out.

Comment from: jackie, Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have been taking lysine over the counter. When the symptoms occur, I take three tablets a day and it is usually gone by the next. It has been a fantastic discovery for me.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I've had minor outbreaks since 2007, perhaps once a year or so. I always keep a small tube of Zovirax at home, and when they happen this clears it up within a few days.

Comment from: leeahbabbs, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I've just been recently diagnosed with genital herpes. I'm currently taking an anti-viral drug to help with my initial outbreak, and I feel humbled knowing that I'm not alone in this fight.

Must Read Articles Related to Genital Herpes

Cervicitis
Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread through any type of sexual activity ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital herpes?