Viewer Comments: Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital herpes?

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have not had sex in fifteen years, but I got a sore on my buttocks. The doctor said it was herpes. I got the sore about a year ago.

Comment from: momof2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I found out I had herpes (type 2) on my genitalia 7 years ago when my daughter was 8 weeks old. I was and am still devastated. I get a flare up about twice a year, but it's only one bump or so. Still, it sends me into depression. I have recently discovered that 100% tea tree oil applied on bumps a few times a day takes them away fairly quickly. I just read up on L-lysine and started taking 500mg a day in hopes to stop flare ups. I hope this helps someone else.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

After I got my first outbreak, I started getting them almost every time I got my menstrual period, which was horrible. I am not taking valacyclovir every day for suppressive therapy. I have not had an outbreak for almost two years now, so I definitely feel like it's working for me. I am grateful the antivirals are available, but they can be hard on your kidneys and liver.

Comment from: Hopeful, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 06

I was diagnosed over 15 years ago. My outbreaks were few and far between for many years, but lately they are more frequent. I think it's stress related as my stress level has been up in the last year. My GYN prescribed acyclovir and I was using it to lessen the symptoms, not following the prescription. I'm finally using it correctly and hoping that the outbreaks will decrease. My symptoms are a tingling sensation about 24 hours before the blister appears. It takes about a week before the blister goes away.

Comment from: God'sGirl4ever, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was first diagnosed with herpes when I was 17 years old. I am now 34 and until this past year, I rarely had outbreaks. In the past when I was stressed, I often developed mouth sores and only occasionally I would have a rectal lesion. My outbreaks were short in duration, cleared up within a few days on Valtrex. About four months ago, I had a severe outbreak with sores in both my mouth and my vagina. The episode began with a sore throat, swollen glands (throat), fever, chills, body aches and fatigue. Around the third day of this, I developed canker sores on my cheeks and tongue, and one or two vaginal lesions. I even had a lesion inside my vagina, which I couldn't feel until I had sex with my husband. Since that episode, I have had three more, each worse than the prior and lasting longer, too. The lesions were more painful and seemed to be bigger, covering the lining of my inner labia as well as two blisters on the skin near my anus. That was also the first time that it hurt to urinate, sit and even walk. These more severe outbreaks lasted 10 days to three weeks. I have noticed that stress brings them on, and I always have the flu-like symptoms before the outbreak.

Comment from: 13-18 Female Published: August 10

I got genital herpes less than a year ago because of my ex-boyfriend of nine months. He said he would leave if I didn't have sex with him, so I did. Regardless of my story, I have found that I tend to get sick before an outbreak. I may get a fever or flu like symptoms before sores appear.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: March 29

I just got diagnosed today after two years of getting only one sore twice. I haven't had sex in two years so I have no idea who gave them to me.

Comment from: frog princess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 21 years old and I was with my ex for almost eight years until we broke up, yet even after our break up we still had sex on occasion. I started noticing these irritating bumps and itchiness in my no-no area and thought nothing of it. I thought it may have been an ingrown hair. When I awoke the next day I was so swollen and bumps had spread clear from my bottom all the way forward. I went to the doctor and all she said when she saw them was, "Oh, honey…" in a sad voice and I knew then the news wasn't good. I feel so low, I have a one year old daughter with a man that isn't my ex and now I can't even get back with my baby's father because of the guilt, shame and disgust I feel about myself.

Comment from: Emily, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I've had genital herpes for over 25 years. It has been a long and painful experience and I am miserable with agonizing pain when I urinate or wipe or wash over the area. I have aches in my groin area, lower abdomen and tops of my thighs. I am headachy and very cranky, extremely tired. Sitting or walking is painful. It has not gotten any milder over the years but it does not happen as often. It used to happen every month, now it is just a few times a year. I am still ashamed that I have it and get very depressed with each breakout.

Must Read Articles Related to Genital Herpes

Cervicitis (Cervix Inflammation or Infection)
Cervicitis

Cervicitis is inflammation of a woman's cervix, and may be caused by learn more >>

Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Sexually transmitted diseases (...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital herpes?