Viewer Comments: Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital herpes?

Comment from: kitty, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed three days ago. It has to be the worst and most frustrating pain to go through in that area. At first I thought I had scratched myself as it felt like it did a after I had given birth. The next day was worse and I couldn't go to the toilet without crying in pain. Thankfully my friend took me to my local clinic and was diagnosed an hour later. The only thing that helps is the anesthetic cream. I apply before going to the toilet and it makes such a difference. I struggle with walking and sitting. I also find it frustrating to know that I could only have picked this virus up just over 12 months ago! He is now settled into another relationship with a baby on the way.

Comment from: Jessiccah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

At first it was hideous but the pain made me take a further step. I had white itchy, painful blisters around my genitals. Then I visited a local clinic and they told me I have an STD. I finished the course they gave me and the blisters disappeared. My problem is, every time I'm due for my periods, it gets so itchy and painful and there is this offensive discharge that comes out and it really brings my emotion to its peak.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I had a 4 year relationship with my boyfriend, but because I was drunk I had sex with my friend. A week after I had these symptoms like itchy and painful blisters. I went to the doctor and told me that it was an STD. She never mentioned what kind, but upon looking in my record I read it as herpes. Now my boyfriend keeps on asking what was really happened to me, and I have no answers. I just told him my doctor advised me to abstain from sex. I'm ashamed. I regret it. I'm depressed and full of self-pity. The only thing I can do now if accept the situation for what it is.

Comment from: ToughChick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm a female diagnosed with genital herpes (HSV-2) about 4 years ago, and I did not have classic symptoms. Usually people look at the photos on the Internet of crusted red blisters that scab and cause the entire genital area to swell. I didn't have anything that looked awful or concerning, just a "paper cut" at the opening of my vagina followed by some redness and itching in the area. My OB-GYN thought it was a garden variety yeast infection at first and then when he saw the cut, he figured maybe I got a little too rough with the sexual activity. He rubbed a swab over the area to get a culture and I experienced a stabbing, burning pain. I knew this was not yeast or bacteria! Two days after the culture, pencil eraser sized blisters started to appear on both sides of my vagina, and they looked whitish like canker sores you might find in the mouth. Every time I urinated it burned; pouring a cup of water between my legs helped dilute the urine. I could not sit in a chair comfortably. I also felt tired and had a low-grade fever. Fortunately, my OB-GYN called in Valtrex and within three days of noticing the initial lesion, and I felt better.

Comment from: starfish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had genital herpes for about 20 years before it was diagnosed. I remember the first time I had the lesion, which was in the pubic hair just inside where I have a bikini wax. I just thought it was an infected hair follicle. It was itchy and red, with tiny sort of pustules, and after a few days disappeared. After about the 3rd occurrence, I went to see a gynecologist, and she said it was nothing to worry about. The lesion continued to occur from time to time over the next 17 or so years, always in the same place, and then last summer I unexpectedly had 3 outbreaks in 3 months, and this time there were two or three lesions close together. I went to a sexual health clinic, and Herpes Type 2 was diganosed. I had braced myself for this news, but nevertheless, it was a shock. I haven't had an outbreak for about 6 months.

Comment from: Andy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

After having herpes recurrent on my arm for nine years, it was only diagnosed last year. I started having the same symptoms such as headaches and a sore back for the last three years and no rash. I did get sores at the top of my leg by my vagina, which were watery blisters that were painful and itchy. I just thought it was where I had shaved. Now I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. Thanks for your information.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I only have outbreaks or even notice that I still have genital herpes when my emotions run high. Like the other day, I became highly stressed and upset due to a miscommunication with another individual. I had already had been feeling a little stressed prior to this but this new situation brought my negative energy level to a different level. I immediately found my vision blurred, I had an upset stomach, I felt feverish and I immediately noticed the next day I had a blister!! I generally am a calm person and notice because of this virus I have to be extra careful with maintaining a positive energy flow.

Must Read Articles Related to Genital Herpes

Cervicitis
Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread through any type of sexual activity ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital herpes?