Viewer Comments: Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital herpes?

Comment from: God'sGirl4ever, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was first diagnosed with herpes when I was 17 years old. I am now 34 and until this past year, I rarely had outbreaks. In the past when I was stressed, I often developed mouth sores and only occasionally I would have a rectal lesion. My outbreaks were short in duration, cleared up within a few days on Valtrex. About four months ago, I had a severe outbreak with sores in both my mouth and my vagina. The episode began with a sore throat, swollen glands (throat), fever, chills, body aches and fatigue. Around the third day of this, I developed canker sores on my cheeks and tongue, and one or two vaginal lesions. I even had a lesion inside my vagina, which I couldn't feel until I had sex with my husband. Since that episode, I have had three more, each worse than the prior and lasting longer, too. The lesions were more painful and seemed to be bigger, covering the lining of my inner labia as well as two blisters on the skin near my anus. That was also the first time that it hurt to urinate, sit and even walk. These more severe outbreaks lasted 10 days to three weeks. I have noticed that stress brings them on, and I always have the flu-like symptoms before the outbreak.

Comment from: 13-18 Female Published: August 10

I got genital herpes less than a year ago because of my ex-boyfriend of nine months. He said he would leave if I didn't have sex with him, so I did. Regardless of my story, I have found that I tend to get sick before an outbreak. I may get a fever or flu like symptoms before sores appear.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: March 29

I just got diagnosed today after two years of getting only one sore twice. I haven't had sex in two years so I have no idea who gave them to me.

Comment from: frog princess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 21 years old and I was with my ex for almost eight years until we broke up, yet even after our break up we still had sex on occasion. I started noticing these irritating bumps and itchiness in my no-no area and thought nothing of it. I thought it may have been an ingrown hair. When I awoke the next day I was so swollen and bumps had spread clear from my bottom all the way forward. I went to the doctor and all she said when she saw them was, "Oh, honey…" in a sad voice and I knew then the news wasn't good. I feel so low, I have a one year old daughter with a man that isn't my ex and now I can't even get back with my baby's father because of the guilt, shame and disgust I feel about myself.

Comment from: Emily, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I've had genital herpes for over 25 years. It has been a long and painful experience and I am miserable with agonizing pain when I urinate or wipe or wash over the area. I have aches in my groin area, lower abdomen and tops of my thighs. I am headachy and very cranky, extremely tired. Sitting or walking is painful. It has not gotten any milder over the years but it does not happen as often. It used to happen every month, now it is just a few times a year. I am still ashamed that I have it and get very depressed with each breakout.

Comment from: kitty, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed three days ago. It has to be the worst and most frustrating pain to go through in that area. At first I thought I had scratched myself as it felt like it did a after I had given birth. The next day was worse and I couldn't go to the toilet without crying in pain. Thankfully my friend took me to my local clinic and was diagnosed an hour later. The only thing that helps is the anesthetic cream. I apply before going to the toilet and it makes such a difference. I struggle with walking and sitting. I also find it frustrating to know that I could only have picked this virus up just over 12 months ago! He is now settled into another relationship with a baby on the way.

Comment from: Jessiccah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

At first it was hideous but the pain made me take a further step. I had white itchy, painful blisters around my genitals. Then I visited a local clinic and they told me I have an STD. I finished the course they gave me and the blisters disappeared. My problem is, every time I'm due for my periods, it gets so itchy and painful and there is this offensive discharge that comes out and it really brings my emotion to its peak.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I had a 4 year relationship with my boyfriend, but because I was drunk I had sex with my friend. A week after I had these symptoms like itchy and painful blisters. I went to the doctor and told me that it was an STD. She never mentioned what kind, but upon looking in my record I read it as herpes. Now my boyfriend keeps on asking what was really happened to me, and I have no answers. I just told him my doctor advised me to abstain from sex. I'm ashamed. I regret it. I'm depressed and full of self-pity. The only thing I can do now if accept the situation for what it is.

Must Read Articles Related to Genital Herpes

Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread through any type of sexual activity ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital herpes?