Viewer Comments: Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital herpes?

Comment from: ToughChick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm a female diagnosed with genital herpes (HSV-2) about 4 years ago, and I did not have classic symptoms. Usually people look at the photos on the Internet of crusted red blisters that scab and cause the entire genital area to swell. I didn't have anything that looked awful or concerning, just a "paper cut" at the opening of my vagina followed by some redness and itching in the area. My OB-GYN thought it was a garden variety yeast infection at first and then when he saw the cut, he figured maybe I got a little too rough with the sexual activity. He rubbed a swab over the area to get a culture and I experienced a stabbing, burning pain. I knew this was not yeast or bacteria! Two days after the culture, pencil eraser sized blisters started to appear on both sides of my vagina, and they looked whitish like canker sores you might find in the mouth. Every time I urinated it burned; pouring a cup of water between my legs helped dilute the urine. I could not sit in a chair comfortably. I also felt tired and had a low-grade fever. Fortunately, my OB-GYN called in Valtrex and within three days of noticing the initial lesion, and I felt better.

Comment from: starfish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had genital herpes for about 20 years before it was diagnosed. I remember the first time I had the lesion, which was in the pubic hair just inside where I have a bikini wax. I just thought it was an infected hair follicle. It was itchy and red, with tiny sort of pustules, and after a few days disappeared. After about the 3rd occurrence, I went to see a gynecologist, and she said it was nothing to worry about. The lesion continued to occur from time to time over the next 17 or so years, always in the same place, and then last summer I unexpectedly had 3 outbreaks in 3 months, and this time there were two or three lesions close together. I went to a sexual health clinic, and Herpes Type 2 was diganosed. I had braced myself for this news, but nevertheless, it was a shock. I haven't had an outbreak for about 6 months.

Comment from: Andy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

After having herpes recurrent on my arm for nine years, it was only diagnosed last year. I started having the same symptoms such as headaches and a sore back for the last three years and no rash. I did get sores at the top of my leg by my vagina, which were watery blisters that were painful and itchy. I just thought it was where I had shaved. Now I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. Thanks for your information.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I only have outbreaks or even notice that I still have genital herpes when my emotions run high. Like the other day, I became highly stressed and upset due to a miscommunication with another individual. I had already had been feeling a little stressed prior to this but this new situation brought my negative energy level to a different level. I immediately found my vision blurred, I had an upset stomach, I felt feverish and I immediately noticed the next day I had a blister!! I generally am a calm person and notice because of this virus I have to be extra careful with maintaining a positive energy flow.

Comment from: mrsjayc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have only had 1 outbreak, but it seemed quite severe. I had several blisters/lesions on the inner labia of my vagina. The lesions are very painful and took about 2 weeks to go away. It has been 2 months since the first outbreak and I have had nothing else to report since then. Even when my stress levels were high, no signs of an outbreak. (which is great, because my hubby does NOT have the virus.. and we are dealing with understanding the HOW I could have gotten this.)

Comment from: alijewel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

Normally a week before the vaginal blisters appear, the skin on my left leg all the way to the top of my thigh and upper buttock tingles and is very sensitive. I now have outbreaks every months which co-inside with my period. So I only seem to be symptom free for approx 2 weeks every month now. My first outbreak was 12 months ago.

Must Read Articles Related to Genital Herpes

Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread through any type of sexual activity ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes:

Genital Herpes - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital herpes?