Viewer Comments: Genital Warts (HPV Infection) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Warts (HPV Infection):

Genital Warts (HPV Infection) - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital warts?

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I found a mole-like lesion on my penis when I was 24. It was flat, smooth, and light brown. The university health center doctor did the vinegar test and said it was not a wart. 10 years after having much unprotected sex I had other small wart like areas pop up on my genitals. It was then that I was diagnosed w/ HPV. These warts were removed via laser which was an excellent treatment. The initial lesion from 10 years ago was just removed at the direction of a dermatologist and it was biopsied. Turns out it was a flat wart and not a mole! I'm writing this to warn everyone to have new growths on the genitals whether male or female removed and biopsied so you don't spread this to innocent people as I have. In summary: Laser and surgical removal with local anesthetic are great treatment options.

Comment from: scared, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I finally decided it was time for a pap after about 10 yrs of not having one. I knew I had some mole looking things on me but thought they were skin tags. Come to find out they are genital warts. I had them surgically removed and some burned. Well a year later, two have come back. I've cried and cried now my doctor has me on medication and I'm hoping for a great outcome with it. It's only been one week since I've been using the cream but I'm praying hard I'll comment again on how the cream works for me.

Comment from: the lost one, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 21

I am 45 yrs old and just married 2 years ago. My husband was told he has genital warts. I thought they were moles on his penis but I didn't see the bigger patches now he is taking this 3-day treatment and wants to have sex with no condom.

Comment from: live4lady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My genital warts were found at the age of thirty-eight after a hysterectomy at age thirty. I've never had bad pap smear results before. I was sent to an Oncologist for VAIN III. He laser ablated the warts and I have to apply Efudex (Chemo cream) every 3 weeks FOREVER due to recurrence rates. It does keep the cells (Dysplasia) from changing over to cancer. For whatever it is worth, PLEASE encourage your daughters and loved ones to get protected. Mine lied dormant for many many years.

Comment from: BarbW141FL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I'm 60 years old. I got HPV or venereal warts during the 70s and 80s. No one knew about diseases without cures; like aids, venereal warts or herpes. I went to the clinic at a large women's hospital where I was often treated. When I moved to Florida 2 yrs later I saw an ob/gyn who froze the warts and guaranteed they would not be back. The warts never came back, but when I was about 50 I got lesions of squamous cell anorectal cancer (in situ, meaning they don't spread).

Comment from: noname, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I was diagnosed with HPV during a routine pap at age 19. Didn't have my first 'wart' appear til age 23 on my labia minora. It was very small and looked like a mole. They burned it off with acid in the doctor's office. Only one treatment needed. Now 15 years later I have had another come up on my labia majora. Doctor tried to tell me it was a skin tag but I knew better. I got a 2nd opinion by an ob/gyn. The acid is the only way to remove them.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had no idea. I thought it was simply a mole, but I knew it was new. I found out that I had genital warts and I was 2 months pregnant when I found out. I'm told that my hormones are causing the warts to grow faster than normal, and that they will grow even more if I mess with them. I can't get rid of them until after the baby is born. I'm scared that they are going to infect my birth canal.

Comment from: poppie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I first got genital warts when I was 19 they spread on my vaginal opening. The doctor suggested that I didn't need laser treatment but either way they went ahead with it. The warts disappeared completely! One appeared again after some months and my mom got me treatment from some doctor though he made it clear that they might come back again so my mom has to pray they don't. Well I took the treatment and they started fading on their own and I haven't had them for years now.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have found out today that I have hpv and got warts because of it. They burned them today with acid and I have to go back in a week to do it again. I have had them for years now but never had the money to go and get them checked out now that I have I am worried the warts will always come back.

Must Read Articles Related to Genital Warts

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Cervical Cancer
Cervical Cancer Cervical cancer can be cured if it is detected and treated early. Risk factors for cervical cancer include HPV infection, smoking, oral contraceptive use, and h...learn more >>
Cervicitis
Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Warts (HPV Infection):

Genital Warts - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital warts?

Genital Warts - Causes

What caused your genital warts?

Genital Warts - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a genital warts?