Viewer Comments: Genital Warts (HPV Infection) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Warts (HPV Infection):

Genital Warts (HPV Infection) - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital warts?

Comment from: life sentence, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I was married to a man that cheated and soon after finding out about the many affairs. I was told I had warts. I quickly divorced him! This was back in 1979 the doctor didn't know much about the warts and didn't call it HPV. I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread. The next 2 doctors did laser surgery in 1982 to remove them. 2 years later they grew back close to where the 1st ones were so I had laser surgery again. They have grown back and I was finally told it was HPV. I didn't know anything about HPV but have had it for 33 years now and they have spread to all parts of my body. In just the last two years I have 2 on my leg 1 above the knee and 1 below. I have 1 on my arm and 1 on my neck. I have hated dealing with these things for all these years and now they seem to be going wild. It's very embarrassing going to the doctor. I have put it off for several years but now I have to go soon and I hate it because I did nothing to get this. I was married and never thought anything about a STD, but now I have to deal with doctors that are probably not but I feel they are judgmental, but I'm sure it's just me. I want to scream out, "I was married and never had sex with anyone but him" This HPV is a everywhere and all you need is 1 person to give it to you and you will have it for life and when you're in your 60's you will still be dealing with it. I would love to see someone put up what are the best treatments to ask for.

Comment from: garo Manila, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I have mine cauterized by my OB 8 days ago, spinal anesthesia was required to ease the pain while burning the warts. She even had me use catheter after for the wound to be treated easily. After 24 hrs I was sent back home I asked the doctor to take off catheter as I am not comfortable in using one, every time I pee the pain is unbearable and it's killing me. I am used to seeing blood and green discharge as its normal after cauterization, As of today I am taking in high dosage of pain killer to ease the pain, by the way i got one 1 year ago and warts were like multiplying from time to time that why I have decided to have it surgically removed. I am hoping that it'll not come back as doctor advised me for regular check up and shot of gardasil o prevent it from coming back. By the way I only have 3 partners all my life and never been experienced having sex with men. My current for 1 year and 3 months is HPV negative; my previous for 6 years is also HPV free.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I am 59 year old female diagnosed with anal squamous cell carcinoma in situ 2 years ago after colonoscopy. I am presently being followed up by surgeon every 6 months with scraping, burning and removal of tissue for biopsy - which always comes back abnormal. It seems to me like no one understands what's going on or what to do next. Not much on the Internet either if you are a woman with this. I'm married, eat healthy, don't smoke and clueless how it happened. Obviously, there needs to be more research on this. I have no clue what to expect, and so, expect the worse.

Comment from: OldFart, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

Many years ago I had what is called peri-anal warts. I tried for about five years to remove them myself with various forms of salicylic acid, which was extremely uncomfortable/painful and seemed to be interminable and I was not able to endure long enough to actually remove the root of the things. Finally ended up at a specialist (don't recall the exact field) who in one sedated session successfully "got them all" and I have been relapse free for some 20 years to date. What I recall was he pulled each nub out and snipped it at skin level first, then burned deep into the skin at each cut site to kill the roots. This was done with a soldering-iron style device. Many drugs followed for pain.

Comment from: Rachel76, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I used green tea cream topically twice per day, and took Papillex. The genital warts went away and have never returned. I also changed my diet - nothing refined.

Comment from: Jen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I first realized I had a bump on my labia. When I was 21 I got Pap smear that was abnormal and was told it was just clue cells. Than the second, third and fourth time I was told it was just a "skin tag" I had one for three years, my ex one day came up to me and told me the bumps he had he thought it was from shaving I gave him warts without me realizing I had this. Anyway, my doctor gave me a cream to use. I had four partners and I am happy to see comments and these treatments are helpful for this I hope they go away. Thank you.

Comment from: Thwarted, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I went to my doctor get these tiny, round 'skin tags' around my anal region removed. She told me they were warts and sent me to an OB/GYN. I had a pap smear done which was positive for HPV and an internal exam revealed many, many more on my cervix. She did laser the visible warts and ended up surgically removing 1/3 of my cervix. She also gave me a topical cream (Aldara) to prevent any further spread of the warts from my perianal area. That was seven years ago and I have been wart-free with normal pap tests since; until now. My last pap smear was approximately one month ago and has come back 'highly abnormal' and just within the last week I noticed a tiny 'mole' on my labia. It's a flat wart that has grown approximately 3cm within 6 days. I'm not sure what the options my doctor will suggest at this point, but I do know that I want to be aggressive with the treatment simply because of how aggressive it seems to be evolving this time around.

Must Read Articles Related to Genital Warts

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Cervical Cancer
Cervical Cancer Cervical cancer can be cured if it is detected and treated early. Risk factors for cervical cancer include HPV infection, smoking, oral contraceptive use, and h...learn more >>
Cervicitis
Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Warts (HPV Infection):

Genital Warts - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital warts?

Genital Warts - Causes

What caused your genital warts?

Genital Warts - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a genital warts?