Viewer Comments: Genital Warts - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Warts (HPV Infection):

Genital Warts - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital warts?

Comment from: Snoopy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 18

I've had skin tags on occasion my whole life. I noticed one on my pubic mound area that grew extremely fast. That was the only one I had and it erupted like a pimple after about two weeks. Then I started getting five or six more in my genital area and went to my doctor. He immediately said they were genital warts. He froze them and wanted me back in two weeks. My girlfriend worked in a doctor's office and got the liquid nitrogen from her office and froze them one more time about two weeks later. I've been wart free for the last two years. After my outbreak and prior to visiting the doctor I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend, and she eventually got them also. We treated her at home the same way and after two treatments they were gone. It takes about a month for all signs of the warts to go disappear. I contracted them at the age of 64.

Comment from: loveisallyouneed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am 99 percent sure I know who I contracted HPV from, and if I am correct, it was about 8 years ago. My first symptoms occurred 2 years later, in the form of an abnormal Pap test result. I was a little freaked because of the possibility of cancer, but my pap tests started showing normal results again after about a year and a half. I still wasn't sure that I was free of symptoms, and it appears that I was correct. This past December, I was wiping after using the bathroom, and I realized that there was a little something that I was unable to wipe away. I washed my hands and started investigating. I soon discovered a tiny cluster of slightly-raised, rough skin. I couldn't see it without a mirror, and even then, it was very difficult to see much because of the size. I could see that the little cluster appeared to be a whitish color. My immediate thought was HPV, but another part of me denied it. When February came around and there were no changes, I made an appointment with my gynecologist. It turns out that my initial reaction was correct, and I ended up having up the treatment yesterday. It was extremely fast, and not very painful at all. If you think that you could have genital warts from HPV, no matter how small they are, it is probably a good idea to get them looked at by a doctor.

Comment from: Ladycat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was diagnosed with herpes several years ago, and treated with meds at that time. It was 11 years after my ex and I separated, and I was told this would lie dormant for 12 years. Now I am having little bumps in the vaginal area that are painful, and I am wondering if this could be warts.

Comment from: learnt-a-lesson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I noticed little bumps on my vagina area just outside and they were dark. At first I thought they were just moles as I have a lot of moles on my skin. One day I suddenly noticed that they had multiplied and I took a mirror to get a closer look. Right inside my vagina, I saw more this time, white mole like things. That's when I knew something was terribly wrong. I knew they were not normal, so I went to see my doctor and he confirmed that I had warts. It came as a shock because I hardy have sex and when I do I always use condoms. My doctor explained that the HPV can be spread even by hands. The greatest lesson I learned was to abstain and only have sex when am married.

Comment from: margeret, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I am a married woman and have been in the same relationship for 15 years. About a year ago I noticed small growths around my genitals I went to the clinic and found that they were genital warts. I was horrified and although I'd had sexual partners before my husband, I have been faithful to him. The nurse reassured me that although I'd not had any symptoms before that, my husband or I could have been carrying the wart virus for all those years and never shown any signs before now. My husband finds that hard to believe and has accused me of being unfaithful and its now breaking down my marriage.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with warts at the age fifteen. I am now seventeen and the warts are hard to get rid of because they are so small and look like razor bumps. I hope my infection goes away. I get cryotherapy around once a year. Transmission to my partner is also a constant fear.

Comment from: chiroJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I had no symptom other than noticing a couple tiny bumps that got a little bigger. The doctor burned them off and they returned several times over a year or so. Had them burned off again about four times and now they have never come back.

Comment from: Not alone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

During my first pregnancy I noticed a really small, colorless mole-like spot around the opening of my vagina. I asked my Dr during one of my prenatal check-ups about it and he then told me it was HPV or a genital wart. He said that he could remove it but most likely it would come back. It has been over ten years since I was diagnosed and I haven't noticed any new ones. I was reading some of the comments about others who say they experience pain and fever with their warts and one person even said she can tell when they are coming on. I don't think she has what she thinks she has. I have never experienced any pain. My advice is to stay on top of things and always tell your sex partner about what you have no matter what. Let's not spread this to others. I have been married for 15 years and my husband has not contracted the virus. Even though he would choose not to use a condom, I don't let him make excuses. I am not going to give this to another person.

Must Read Articles Related to Genital Warts

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Cervical Cancer
Cervical Cancer Cervical cancer can be cured if it is det...learn more >>
Cervicitis (Cervix Inflammation or Infection)
Cervicitis

Cervicitis is inflammation of a woman's cervix, and may be caused by learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Warts (HPV Infection):

Genital Warts (HPV Infection) - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital warts?

Genital Warts - Causes

What caused your genital warts?

Genital Warts - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting genital warts?