Viewer Comments: Genital Warts - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Warts (HPV Infection):

Genital Warts - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital warts?

Comment from: Ladycat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was diagnosed with herpes several years ago, and treated with meds at that time. It was 11 years after my ex and I separated, and I was told this would lie dormant for 12 years. Now I am having little bumps in the vaginal area that are painful, and I am wondering if this could be warts.

Comment from: learnt-a-lesson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I noticed little bumps on my vagina area just outside and they were dark. At first I thought they were just moles as I have a lot of moles on my skin. One day I suddenly noticed that they had multiplied and I took a mirror to get a closer look. Right inside my vagina, I saw more this time, white mole like things. That's when I knew something was terribly wrong. I knew they were not normal, so I went to see my doctor and he confirmed that I had warts. It came as a shock because I hardy have sex and when I do I always use condoms. My doctor explained that the HPV can be spread even by hands. The greatest lesson I learned was to abstain and only have sex when am married.

Comment from: margeret, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I am a married woman and have been in the same relationship for 15 years. About a year ago I noticed small growths around my genitals I went to the clinic and found that they were genital warts. I was horrified and although I'd had sexual partners before my husband, I have been faithful to him. The nurse reassured me that although I'd not had any symptoms before that, my husband or I could have been carrying the wart virus for all those years and never shown any signs before now. My husband finds that hard to believe and has accused me of being unfaithful and its now breaking down my marriage.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with warts at the age fifteen. I am now seventeen and the warts are hard to get rid of because they are so small and look like razor bumps. I hope my infection goes away. I get cryotherapy around once a year. Transmission to my partner is also a constant fear.

Comment from: chiroJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I had no symptom other than noticing a couple tiny bumps that got a little bigger. The doctor burned them off and they returned several times over a year or so. Had them burned off again about four times and now they have never come back.

Comment from: Not alone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

During my first pregnancy I noticed a really small, colorless mole-like spot around the opening of my vagina. I asked my Dr during one of my prenatal check-ups about it and he then told me it was HPV or a genital wart. He said that he could remove it but most likely it would come back. It has been over ten years since I was diagnosed and I haven't noticed any new ones. I was reading some of the comments about others who say they experience pain and fever with their warts and one person even said she can tell when they are coming on. I don't think she has what she thinks she has. I have never experienced any pain. My advice is to stay on top of things and always tell your sex partner about what you have no matter what. Let's not spread this to others. I have been married for 15 years and my husband has not contracted the virus. Even though he would choose not to use a condom, I don't let him make excuses. I am not going to give this to another person.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I was diagnosed with anal warts at the age of 22.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I'm only 19. I had some genital warts on my penis. Obviously I was scared when I saw this. I have become depressed. I can't believe I have genital warts. I'm sure there are things I can do about it.

Comment from: katey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I get very itchy specially in the inner part, but not often. It occurs sometimes yearly.

Comment from: dwn2erth, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with viral genital warts and they appeared on my penis and rectum. The first time I had evidence of them the doctor treated me by putting some medicine on them. Then 4 months later they reappeared. I went to see a specialist and he used liquid ice to freeze them. That treatment worked for my penis quite well, but not my anus. I will be going back for another treatment soon. I think he is going to zap them off at this point.

Must Read Articles Related to Genital Warts

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Cervical Cancer
Cervical Cancer Cervical cancer can be cured if it is detected and treated early. Risk factors for cervical cancer include HPV infection, smoking, oral contraceptive use, and h...learn more >>
Cervicitis
Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Warts (HPV Infection):

Genital Warts (HPV Infection) - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital warts?

Genital Warts - Causes

What caused your genital warts?

Genital Warts - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a genital warts?

From WebMD