Symptoms may appear within 2 to 10 days after exposure to an infected person-even longer for women (up to 3 weeks).
Gonorrhea Symptoms in Women
- It is important to note that infected women have no symptoms in 30% to 40% of cases. Thus it is possible to be infected with gonorrhea and not know about the infection.
- Gonorrhea may cause pelvic inflammatory disease (a serious medical condition that can lead to
- Infection and irritation of the
- The need to urinate often
- Itching and burning of the
with a thick yellow/green discharge
- Infection and irritation of the vagina (this is how the infection usually appears in children who may be victims of
- Bleeding between menstrual periods
Gonorrhea Symptoms in Men
Gonorrhea Symptoms in Newborns
- Irritation of the mucous membranes in the eyes (if not treated, can cause
Oral and Rectal Gonorrhea Symptoms
- Gonococcal throat infection should be considered in people who complain of
sore throat and have other signs of gonococcal infection. Throat infections from gonorrhea are transmitted through oral sex, but occur without any other symptoms in less than 5% of
individuals infected with gonorrhea.
- Rectal pain or discharge can be a sign of infection of the prostate and is transmitted through anal intercourse.
Must Read Articles Related to Gonorrhea
Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Female Sexual Problems
Long considered a taboo subject, women's sexuality is now openly discussed and portrayed on television, in magazines, and on the internet. Symptoms of female se...learn more >>
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), an infection of a woman's reproductive organs (cervicitis, salpingitis, endometritis, and peritonitis) is an STD caused by ei...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gonorrhea: