Self-Care at Home
- Take medications as prescribed.
- While a joint is hot and swollen, you may want to use a cane or similar support to keep your weight off that joint.
- It may be helpful to keep the swollen joint elevated above your chest as much as possible.
- Ice packs can be helpful in relieving pain and reducing inflammation.
- Maintaining adequate hydration is key for minimizing the frequency and intensity of attacks.
- Cherry juice may decrease the intensity and severity of attacks.
Must Read Articles Related to Gout
Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Dehydration in Adults
Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout: