Viewer Comments: Gout - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.

Comment from: Tracy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I had C5, C6 and C7 fused. A week later gout started in my big toe and foot. Horrible pain. I can't take anti-inflammatories because of neck surgery, so doctors are giving me narcotics to relieve pain (doesn't work very well). It is now moving to my ankle. Also, I developed cellulitis, which caused a giant blister on top of my foot, which doctor had to drain. This is the worst pain ever. I'm taking the preventive medication, but it doesn't really do anything either.

Comment from: side foot, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

I just had my first experience with gout but it seem that my gout is on the side of my outer left side foot.

Comment from: mama, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 15

The symptom of my gout was that my middle finger was hot, stiff and very painful and I couldn't bend it at all.

Comment from: Kid Larami, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I'm pretty healthy. I'm from the U.K. and I'm in the U.K. system for seeing a Doctor. Healthcare is terrible here. There are no home visits, and telephone appointments are scheduled two weeks out.Even though I pay national insurance. It did me no good so I booked MRI and blood test privately 9 months ago. The results showed gout, a swollen prostate, and high cholesterol. I sent a copy to my doctor with a letter.He didn't even reply. I'm now in bed with intense pain in my right knee. The UK system is for weekend alcoholics who get drunk, fight and clutter emergency A and E, not to mention these are people who usually don't contribute.

Comment from: steveb, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I had a bump on my large toe for over a year which did not cause any pain. I noticed a gradual soreness on the toe, along with redness. My internist treated me for an infection and referred me to a podiatrist. The podiatrist diagnosed gout, and removed the bump, which later returned, but smaller. My internist prescribed allopurinol which I take daily along with tart cherry juice concentrate. I have almost no pain, even though I regularly drink beer or wine.

Must Read Articles Related to Gout

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of dehydration include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, di...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gout?

Gout - Diet

How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?

Gout - Symptoms and Signs

For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?